The Story of Arthur Truluv: A Novel by…

The Story of Arthur Truluv: A Novel (original 2017; edition 2018)

by Elizabeth Berg (Author)

"Truluv is a moving novel about three people who have lost the person they love most, and must find their way back to happiness. Arthur, a widower, meets Maddy, an angry and friendless teenage girl, while visiting his late wife at the cemetary, where he goes every day for lunch. Against all odds, the two strike up a friendship that pulls them out of a serious rut. They band together with Arthur's nosy neighbor Lucille, to create lives that are truly worth living. Proving that life's most precious moments are sweeter when shared, they go from strangers, to friends, to an untraditional but loving family. Betrayal, loneliness, romance and family are at the heart of this honey of a book, a must-read for fans of Elizabeth Berg's early work. This is a story about life being affirmed at all ages, old and young, and about finding hapiness when hope seems lost. Readers will laugh, cry, and love Truluv"--… (more)
Member:pieternella
Title:The Story of Arthur Truluv: A Novel
Authors:Elizabeth Berg (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (2018), Edition: Reprint, 272 pages
Rating:**

The Story of Arthur Truluv by Elizabeth Berg (2017)

A charming little book.
Arthur Moses is an elderly gentleman who has lost his wife, Nola. Arthur visits her grave in the cemetery everyday at noon time. There he meets a misfit young lady called Maddy - a friendship ensues. ( )
  AstridG | Jul 29, 2019 |
An interval of "light reading," and I mean that in only the best, most complimentary sense. Light in the sense that THE STORY OF ARTHUR TRULUV will lift you up, will make you feel better. Something we could all use more of these days. It will make you laugh and it will make you cry, which I know sounds trite, but it was certainly true for my wife and me. We have both loved Elizabeth Berg's fiction ever since I picked up her book, TALK BEFORE SLEEP, more than twenty years ago. Since then we have probably read at least a dozen of her books, and she's written twice that many. We've loved 'em all (except maybe for THE DREAM LOVER, an unfortunate misstep into "historical literary" fiction).

While I tend to put Berg's fiction into the "chick lit" category, it is definitely in the upper echelons of that too often unappreciated genre. (I like a lot of LaVyrle Spencer's stuff too.) Berg is about our age, didn't start publishing seriously until after she was forty, so she "knows" stuff. Here's a small example, from a conversation between Arthur and Lucille, both octagenarians -

"Oh, Arthur, no one even SEES you when you get old except for people who knew you when you were YOUNG."

Yup. Invisible. I'm 75. And Berg is 70. We get that. Been there. Maybe it's a little "writer wisdom" at work. And speaking of writers, here's something else Berg gets (me too), about the importance of "READERS." When Lucille - a retired school teacher - is feeling old and useless , Arthur reminds her that they both like to read, and -

"Where would writers be without readers? Who are they going to write for? ... that's what I do. I am the audience. I am the great appreciator, that's what I do, and that's all I want to do. I worked for a lot of years. I did a lot of things for a lot of years. Now, well, here I am in the rocking chair and I don't mind it, Lucille. I don't feel useless. I feel lucky"

YES! Like my rocker. Love my books. Thanks for saying it, Arthur - or Elizabeth. It's what I've felt for years. And I've been a writer. But I've been - and will be - a reader a lot longer. Let's hear it for READERS! So is ARTHUR TRULUV " light reading"? Sure. Is it "chick lit"? Of course it is. Are there some profound truths to be found here, some deep wisdom? Hell, yes. Will you find yourself chuckling and/or weeping in recognition and empathy? Absolutely.

I did not want to see the end of this book, but I finished it. And now I can read it's sequel, NIGHT OF MIRACLES. Got it right here. Can't wait to tuck into it. But this one? I laughed, I cried, I LOVED this book!

- Tim Bazzett, author of the memoir, BOOKLOVER ( )
  TimBazzett | Jul 14, 2019 |
Everyone needs to know Arthur

I could not put this story down. Arthur is an older man whose wife died a while ago. He is so lonely without her. He goes to have lunch with her at her graveside every single day.

One day, he meets a young girl named Maddy at the cemetery. Her mother died when she was very young. Her dad has never gotten over his wife’s death and really doesn’t know what to do with Maddy.

Lucille lives across the street from Arthur. The two of them are front porch pals.

This beautiful story weaves all their lives together to fill in the missing gaps and make them all whole. ( )
  Lisa5127 | Jul 13, 2019 |
Treacly, predictable story about a kindly old widower who finds a new lease on life after a pregnant teen and a lonely woman move in with him. This "cozy" narrative is so prim there is even a quasi-immaculate conception. Not my cup of tea, but I'm sure that the ladies in my book group will heartily approve of it. ( )
  akblanchard | Jul 7, 2019 |
I love Elizabeth Berg. This book truly moved me. The characters struck a chord with me and I enjoyed every single page. ( )
  deb.d | Jun 13, 2019 |
The life-affirming messages are far from subtle, and the fine line between sensitivity and sentimentality is often breached.

Aims for profound but settles for pleasant.
added by countrylife | editKirkus Reviews (May 2, 2017)

We all know that something is eternal. And it ain't houses and it ain't names, and it ain't earth, and it ain't even the stars---everybody knows in their bones that something is eternal, and that something has to do with human beings.
---THORNTON WILDER, Our Town
Act well your part, there all the honour lies.
---ALEXANDER POPE, "An Essay on Man"
For my daughters, Julie Krintzman and Jennifer Berta
In the six months since the November day that his wife, Nola was buried, Arthur Moses has been having lunch with her every day.
It is in people, to be entertained by cruelty.
People who don't feel cared for are not always comfortable being cared for.
What is it that makes a family? Certainly no document does, no legal pronouncement or accident of birth. No, real families come from choices we make about who we want to be bound to, and the ties to such families live in our hearts.
A man doesn't always make room in his life for appreciating certain things that seem to be under women's auspices, but there's a satisfaction in some of them.
A promise is a promise, even if it's only one you made to yourself.

"I dare you to read this novel and not fall in love with Arthur Truluv. His story will make you laugh and cry, and will show you a love that never ends, and what it means to be truly human."-Fannie Flagg An emotionally powerful novel about three people who each lose the one they love most, only to find second chances where they least expect them "Fans of Meg Wolitzer, Emma Straub, or [Elizabeth] Berg's previous novels will appreciate the richly complex characters and clear prose. Redemptive without being maudlin, this story of two misfits lucky to have found one another will tug at readers' heartstrings."-Booklist For the past six months, Arthur Moses's days have looked the same: He tends to his rose garden and to Gordon, his cat, then rides the bus to the cemetery to visit his beloved late wife for lunch. The last thing Arthur would imagine is for one unlikely encounter to utterly transform his life.? Eighteen-year-old Maddy Harris is an introspective girl who visits the cemetery to escape the other kids at school. One afternoon she joins Arthur-a gesture that begins a surprising friendship between two lonely souls. Moved by Arthur's kindness and devotion, Maddy gives him the nickname "Truluv." As Arthur's neighbor Lucille moves into their orbit, the unlikely trio band together and, through heartache and hardships, help one another rediscover their own potential to start anew. Wonderfully written and full of profound observations about life, The Story of Arthur Truluv is a beautiful and moving novel of compassion in the face of loss, of the small acts that turn friends into family, and of the possibilities to achieve happiness at any age.Look for a sneak peek of Elizabeth Berg's delightful new novel, Night of Miracles, in the back of the book. "For several days after [finishing The Story of Arthur Truluv ], I felt lifted by it, and I found myself telling friends, also feeling overwhelmed by 2017, about the book. Read this, I said, it will offer some balance to all that has happened, and it is a welcome reminder we're all neighbors here."-Chicago Tribune "Not since Paul Zindel's classic The Pigman have we seen such a unique bond between people who might not look twice at each other in real life. This small, mighty novel offers proof that they should."-People, Book of the Week… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,086,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible