Survivors club : the true story of a very…

Survivors club : the true story of a very young prisoner of Auschwitz (edition 2017)

by Michael Bornstein

"The incredible true story of Michael Bornstein--who at age 4 was one of the youngest children to be liberated from Auschwitz--and of his family"--
Member:TLRC
Title:Survivors club : the true story of a very young prisoner of Auschwitz
Authors:Michael Bornstein
Info:New York : Farrar Straus Giroux, [2017]

Survivors Club: The True Story of a Very Young Prisoner of Auschwitz by Michael BORNSTEIN

I started this on audio, and it was too difficult to listen to, so I switched to the book. It's a fantastic story, full of details about the Jewish experience that were so personal to the author's family and new to me. It's also incredibly heart-wrenching, and I definitely cried. You should read it. ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
This is a relevant and compelling book that leaves an impression on the reader, and therefore I recommend everyone to read it despite the difficult content. ( )
  bookloverreview | Feb 5, 2019 |
My book club read the month of February was Survivors Club The True Story of a Very Young Prisoner of Auschwitz.

And as I was finishing this book in bed, my husband called out and asked me to rub his hair. And while this is something I do that helps him fall asleep, his words, and the emotions of this read, caused me to weep.

I paused and stroked his hair and it occured to me that throughout our lives, we are comforted by a gentle touch. It helps to reduce our anxiety..... it makes us feel safe... feel comforted.

This recounting of the young boy, Michael Bornstein, a prisoner for 7 months inside the walls of Auschwitz, is a true testimony to love. At a horrific time, when it was thought that all hope may be abandoned, the healing of the suffering that he endured was because he clung to his faith in the belief he would see his Mother again.

We realize that those we love will not always be around, but as we hug or kiss them goodbye, it is always with the hope - you'll come back to me.

Reviewed Library Loan ( )
  LorisBook | Mar 5, 2018 |
Genre: Autobiography

Summary: This is the true story about Michael Bornstein, a young boy who was born in a Polish town during Hitler's reign. Michael's story illustrates the horrors that surrounded that time. He tells of moving from town to town and of the people that his family had to watch die. It tells of his fathers courage with the soldiers and his mother's unending support and love.Eventually his family was moved to Auschwitz, where he was one of 59 children under the age of 8 to survive. He was liberated from the camp at the age of four.

Uses in the Classroom: I would definitely be careful with the age group. This is not for children younger than middle school age. It is a great book to read as a part of a history lesson. It would be great for a type of biography project for students.
  kelsienagle | Dec 8, 2017 |
RGG: A comprehensive account, including life prior to being transported to Auschwitz and life after through parenthood and grandparenthood. References to Jewish culture and family are valuable. Reading Interest: 12-YA
  rgruberexcel | Dec 6, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,480,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible