Happiness: The Crooked Little Road to…

Happiness: The Crooked Little Road to Semi-Ever After

by Heather Harpham

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
One thing I loved about this memoir was the clear and unflinching picture Ms. Harpham brings to her story of the beginning of her family's life. She and her partner don't always do the right thing, the right way - and yet there is room for love and forgiveness and patience. While this tale takes us through the perils and grief of an ill child whose "cure" is almost worse than the illness, it also takes us through the story of a partnership - facing fears, letting go of pride, trusting. It is beautifully told and offers hope for the best of what family means. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jun 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Humorous telling of a semi-tragic story. Author has a unique attention to detail that makes the events bearable. Early on I found myself willing her to have hope. Her feelings are described so well that I felt I too would react similarly in these circumstances. I couldn't put this book down. With a title like Happiness, this book must have a happy ending. But not knowing for sure, I was hesitant to finish the last 50 pages. This memoir was a delight to read. And, I hope it compels a ton of readers to register to become bone marrow/stem cell donors. ( )
  standhenry | Jun 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I want to preface this review by stating that I am one of "those people" who generally pass on reading memoirs. Not that I think there's anything wrong with them - just that, in the past, I have found too many to be ultimately uninteresting.

Enter Happiness​. Which I loved. Because the thing about this book is that one of the underlying themes is something that most of us can relate to: the difficulty in making choices. Not choices like what to wear on a date, or where to go on vacation. Choices like Where do I want to raise my kids? Who do I want as a support system? And even, Do I risk my child's life for the chance to save her?

There is so much spirit and honesty in this book, and it has changed my thinking as to how good a memoir can be. ( )
  HeatherCHoffman | Jun 15, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Heather Harpham's memoir, HAPPINESS, is indeed a priceless treasure. It is a work that will through its heartbreaking and heartwarming stories of one family's journey affect us all, and in the end, will have us reflecting on their own lives and experiences. I highly recommend this beautifully written book that brought me to laughter and to tears as I read it. I am looking forward to Heather Harpham's next work. ( )
  Loveuga | Jun 15, 2017 |
I would like to thank Henry,Holt and Company, BookBrowse, And Heather Harpham for the Advanced Reading Edition of "Happiness The Crooked Little Road to Semi-Ever After" A Memoir by Heather Harpham for my honest review. The genres of this novel are Memoir and Non-fiction.

Kudos to Heather Harpham for retelling her story in such a captivating and intriguing way. The author does an amazing job in describing all the people in her life. It was refreshing to see the author's honesty. I feel that it was brave and courageous for the author to share her emotional journey.

The author describes her relationship with the man she falls in love with. They are totally opposite in many ways. When she gets pregnant, I quote , "If I wanted to have children with anyone, it would be with you." He doesn't want children but he does help her financially.

Heather returns to her original home in California and is determined to be a single Mom. She is very alone and frightened, but does have the support of her Mother, family and good friends. Heather gives birth to a little girl. Unfortunately, the baby has a condition that requires transfusions and medical intervention. Heather does keep Brian, the father aware of what is going on from afar.

I like the way Heather discusses the importance of family, friends, and support. Heather meets many people on her journey, who show the importance of love, faith and hope. The author also describes all the emotions that she is forced to face in a positive way.

I would recommend this as a well written, informative and intriguing memoir of love, family, life and hope. ( )
  teachlz | Jun 11, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Heather Harpham's book Happiness is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,106,379 books! | Top bar: Always visible