Anything You Can Do by R. S. Grey

Anything You Can Do

by R. S. Grey

Series: Hamilton (1)

"Lucas Thatcher has always been my enemy. It's been a decade since I've seen him, but our years on opposite coasts were less of a lasting peace and more of a temporary cease-fire. Now that we're both back in our small town, I know Lucas expects the same old war, but I've changed since high school--and from the looks of it, so has he. The arrogant boy who was my teenage rival is now a chiseled doctor armed with intimidating good looks. He is Lucas Thatcher 2.0, the new and improved version I'll be competing with in the workplace instead of the schoolyard. I'm not worried; I'm a doctor now too, board-certified and sexy in a white coat. It almost feels like winning will be too easy--until Lucas unveils a tactic neither of us has ever used before: sexual warfare. The day he pushes me up against the wall and presses his lips to mine, I can't help but wonder if he's filling me with passion or poison. Every fleeting touch is perfect torture. With every stolen kiss, my walls crumble a little more. After all this time, Lucas knows exactly how to strip me of my defenses, but I'm in no hurry to surrender. Knowing thy enemy has never felt so good"--Back cover.… (more)

I finished this book at 3 am and wanted to write a review right there and then but couldn't so here it is now.

"... The only people who don't know Lucas loves Daisy are Lucas and Daisy"

[b:Anything You Can Do|34044126|Anything You Can Do|R.S. Grey|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1485716584s/34044126.jpg|53692428] follows the story of Daisy and Lucas who have been rivals since the day they were born (yes they have the same birthday), they both come back home after 11 years apart and surprise surprise they were both promised to take over the same family study therefore they are forced to work together, cue the hostility.

I have to say this wasn't the best R.S Grey book I read, but it was still light and fun to go through.

I liked that the author used a familiar atmosphere (Hamilton) and even familiar events and places like The Hamilton singles event (still hilarious as ever)

I also liked that in the beginning the hostility felt genuine between the characters, they really challenged one another and the competitiveness was real. I didn't really feel hatred between them, more like sexual frustration but still Daisy didn't really figure that out until later on in the story so it did sorta feel like hatred to some extent.

What sort of bothered me was how dumb and immature and dense Daisy could get at some points. I mean the guy is standing right in front of you looking at you like you're the a jug of water and he's a dying man who has been travelling in the Sahara for the past week, not to mention that he just made out with you for like a LONG while yet all you think about is that he hates you?
Can you get any dumber Daisy?

In general this was a fun book to go through, and a much needed light read after the heartbreak I felt after [b:Our Dark Duet|32075662|Our Dark Duet (Monsters of Verity, #2)|Victoria Schwab|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1476399662s/32075662.jpg|43242921] ( )
  Ray_ | Mar 24, 2018 |
I had read this before, but I reread it, because I wanted to read Foxe an Hound and was so happy I did, I forgot how funny it was, Lucy was hilarious, the part where she was quarantined and made Gary, like Tom Hanks had Wilson, was funny, but the best part for me had to be the Sadie Hawkins, when she tried to wear the dress again, that so funny. You have got to read this, and then Madeline's story, they are awesome. R.S. Grey, for me, is hit or miss, some I love, some I could do without, this one was a win. ( )
  Pelusa41 | Jul 17, 2017 |
Daisy has spent the majority of her life trying to one up her childhood rival Lucas Thatcher. When they’re forced to work together back in their small hometown, the war morphs into something Daisy isn’t expecting at all. She soon realizes that her obsession with loathing Lucas and her focus that part of her identity lies with being Lucas’ rival, is unhealthy. That by making that her focus, she’s missed out on having a life.

I’m so glad I gave R.S. Grey another shot and read this book, because I really really enjoyed it. Daisy was hilarious. Her witty inner monologues were great and had me seriously laughing out loud. I read it quickly as I had trouble putting it down. Daisy and Lucas were great together, once Daisy finally got her head out of the ground and woke up to what was around her! Lucas of course is wonderful. Although some of his actions were a bit confusing, you realize he was probably just trying to protect himself to a certain extent. (Sorry if that’s vague, don’t want to give too much away!)

I connected with Daisy on a few aspects of her life. While she and I are the same age, she is much further along in her career. However, I definitely connected with her when she referred to her feelings of being behind in life. I know there isn’t a set timeline one must accomplish by a certain date, but sometimes it feels like that. Especially when everyone of similar age around you have established careers and relationships. So, I easily knew where Daisy was coming from.
“My biggest commitment so far is buying a Roomba. How is this possible? How am I so behind?”

“By 28, I really should have things figured out. I should have built a well-rounded life for myself, but in actuality, I have been stuck in the same loop for nearly three decades.” So, there’s a particular reason I didn’t rate this 5 stars. I felt it was too similar to a book I read not too long ago. Now, I haven’t read that many enemies-to-lovers books, so I’m not sure if the following criticism is a fair one or not. The book I’m referring to is The Hating Game by Sally Thorne. It is also a colleague enemies-to-lovers story. In all honesty, I felt like Anything You Can Do was really similar to it. Almost too similar. I don’t know if what I found similar between the two books are things that are typical of the enemies-to-lovers trope or not. Things like unrequited love, both after the same job, heroines that are extremely career-driven with unique senses of humor. Are those things typical in hate to love books, or did these two authors just happen to write similar stories? I don’t know. (Feel free to chime in below if you have any input on this.)

In the book there are some e-mails from Lucas referenced and printed. I didn’t think the e-mails were necessary. They felt out of place, especially since there were only like three of them. I feel like it would have been better if the e-mails had had a bigger role (like more of them), or if they had just been cut from the book altogether.

Overall, I really did enjoy it. It was funny, sweet, and I thought the ending was great. Pick it up if you need a fun, quick read that will put a smile on your face.

I received an eARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.
This review was originally posted on Books For The Living.
  BooksForTheLiving | Mar 20, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,493,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible