The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo: A Novel…

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Taylor Jenkins Reid (Author)

"Aging and reclusive Hollywood movie icon Evelyn Hugo is finally ready to tell the truth about her glamorous and scandalous life. But when she chooses unknown magazine reporter Monique Grant for the job, no one in the journalism community is more astounded than Monique herself... Regardless of why Evelyn has chosen her to write her biography, Monique is determined to use this opportunity to jumpstart her career. Summoned to Evelyn's Upper East Side apartment, Monique listens as Evelyn unfurls her story: from making her way to Los Angeles in the 1950s to her decision to leave show business in the late 80s, and, of course, the seven husbands along the way. As Evelyn's life unfolds, revealing a ruthless ambition, an unexpected friendship, and a great forbidden love, Monique begins to feel a very a real connection to the actress. But as Evelyn's story catches up with the present, it becomes clear that her life intersects with Monique's own in tragic and irreversible ways."--… (more)
Member:zorak_1996
Title:The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo: A Novel
Authors:Taylor Jenkins Reid (Author)
Info:Washington Square Press (2018), Edition: Unabridged, 400 pages

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

English (146)  Dutch (1)  All languages (147)
This book was a surprise to me - certainly not what I expected! Riveting and compelling, it was a fast read despite its nearly 400 pages. I’m not one to read much about real Hollywood stars, so I wasn’t expecting to like this one as much as I did. And enjoy it, I did. Though Evelyn was not a truly likable character, she did not delude herself that she was. She knew exactly how ruthless she was, and she owned it! Though she might have promoted herself and her career over others, she nevertheless looked out for those she loved. And love she did! In spades. The story of Evelyn’s life is well told through the framework of her seven marriages. To say there are surprises along the way is putting it mildly, and the biggest surprise is revealed at the end. You might not like Evelyn, and you might not want someone like her for a friend, but she is like a catastrophe you can’t ignore. You can’t stop reading about her, and you can’t quite believe it all, even as she is saying it. Author Taylor Jenkins Reid certainly has a deft hand for writing. The characters are real and well developed. The plot is thoughtfully constructed and imaginative. The whole is really greater than its parts. Evelyn does impart a few life lessons along the way. Though she starts out wanting more wealth with each success, eventually she comes to realize that what is important is family. This is not a book everyone will love, but those who read it will take something away from it, an enlightenment in some way or other, to broaden their thinking. It may not enrich lives, but this tale is undoubtedly entertaining, just like Hollywood stars should be. ( )
  Maydacat | Sep 18, 2021 |
Phenomenal. ( )
  SarahRita | Aug 11, 2021 |
More like 4.5 stars. Great inventive story very interesting twist in the end. I found this book in my archives and figured I would read it instead of Malibu Rising. So glad I did! ( )
  scoene | Jul 13, 2021 |
Listened to the audiobook and it was FREAKING FANTASTIC. I try not to read the book blurb before I read a book so I was super pleasantly surprised that this was so good because I would not have read it had I known it was about a "star" and Hollywood. ( )
  Tosta | Jul 5, 2021 |
diverse full cast audio (adult historical fiction--old Hollywood of the 50s/60s; modern biracial journalist being offered Evelyn's life story for a book deal)
This is a F-F love story and deals with prejudices against LGBTQ from the 50s to the present (nearly impossible and dangerous to overcome, at least initially), as well as prejudices against Latinx actors in the 50s (which Evelyn easily overcomes by catching the eye of Hollywood producers and then dying her hair blonde).

The plot "twists" really aren't that interesting or surprising ("the character is secretly gay/bisexual" should not be used as a major plot device anymore), but fans of glam and tabloids and tell-alls might appreciate the strongish heroines (with the odd description of her clothing/dresses unnaturally dropped into the storyline once in a while). Readers looking for accurate LGBTQAI history or interesting, 3-dimensional queer characters might not be that impressed.

Audie-award winning [a:Robin Miles|158074|Robin Miles|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/user/u_50x66-632230dc9882b4352d753eedf9396530.png] does a great job as the voice of Monique Grant; I didn't care as much for [a:Alma Cuervo|3458637|Alma Cuervo|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/user/u_50x66-632230dc9882b4352d753eedf9396530.png]'s voice of Evelyn (she sounds almost exactly like Bebe Neuwirth, but with the ability to speak Spanish with a Cuban accent).

I also would've preferred a different title, since we don't really care about Evelyn's seven husbands, or even that she was married seven times (it's not that unusual in Hollywood, though perhaps I would care more if I were into the tabloid news). The author even says so at the end of the book. It's kind of like all the book titles referring to "the wife" or "the girl"--I wish we would stop doing that. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |

Reid, Taylor Jenkinsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cuervo, AlmaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miles, RobinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lilah Smash the patriarchy, sweetheart
Film legend and '60s It girl Evelyn Hugo has just announced that she will auction off 12 other most memorable gowns through Christie's to raise money for breast cancer research.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,366,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible