The Complete Robot by Isaac Asimov

The Complete Robot (original 1982; edition 1983)

by Isaac Asimov

A collection of all of Isaac Asimov's robot stories, including some which have never before appeared in book form.
Member:trurl
Title:The Complete Robot
Authors:Isaac Asimov
Info:Harpercollins Pub Ltd (1983), Mass Market Paperback
Rating:***
Tags:near future scifi

The Complete Robot by Isaac Asimov (1982)

English (26)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (31)
This happens to be a re-read because I happened to have forgotten that I read the complete short stories of Asimov when I was much younger. :) That being said, I enjoyed them the second time around too.

The three laws of robotics were obviously in play but what sticks most in my mind is the light professional tone of Asimov throughout every single story. They weren't uncomplicated, but they were definitely studies of stark spotlight stories that always had definite points to be made.

They might not be extremely good points, such as turning a robot into something that has "feminine intuition" but turning her into a Greek Oracle was funny. And then little charmers like murderous buses are always a grand treat. :)

The dryer closed-room mysteries involving robots, including the one that set out to prove a local politician as a robot, are all lightly amusing and clever, but by today's standards, they're rather short on depth. That's fine. These are classics of the 30's after all.

There is still an element of universality at least!

Some things I don't like: the underlying arguments that robots should be slaves. I know that we can make a very good argument that Asimov has plenty of stories trying to free robots, such as Centennial Man and of course the end of his Robot novels with Olivaw, but for the most part, no one questions it, and no one cares.

It's a case of too little notice, in my opinion, but at least some of it is there.

And then there are the cultural assumptions, despite the author's naysaying it, that women are inferior... which grates on me. But it's far and away the lightest and least noticeable out of Classic SF in general. I can think of 75% other classic novels that are much worse, and they're not even SF. :)

All told, though, these were very enjoyable. :)
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
This was a solid set of stories by Asimov in the Robot universe. There were notable standouts, and some weren't that strong, but overall the collection is worth reading for those who are interested in science fiction and Asimov.

3.25 stars. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Apr 9, 2020 |
This is basically Asimov at his best. High quality work here. Recommended (as part of a series...). ( )
  scottcholstad | Jan 28, 2020 |
Like all short story collections, there are some hit and misses in here.

The misses were what you would expect. Some of the stories are a little repetitive, and some lack any real depth. And like you would expect from a collection of stories from the mid-twentieth century, the female characters were sometimes a bit shit. However, none of the stories were boring or a slog to get through.

As far as the hits, they really were hits. They were clever, they were creative, they were funny, they were sinister, they were heartbreaking. And even within the limitations of short stories, and already being familiar with the Robin Williams film, The Bicentennial Man was a gut punch ending to a fantastic collection. ( )
  Fardo | Oct 15, 2019 |
This is where to find them all, or a lot of them anyway. You can check off 3 other books in this series simply by reading this book alone. Definitely worth the time to read the 600 pages to this book. ( )
  krgulick | Jun 19, 2019 |

Isaac Asimovprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kannosto, MattiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santos, DomingoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
By the time I was in my late teens and already a hardened science fiction reader, I had read many robot stories and found that they fell into two classes.
Mr Anderson said, ‘Where's Jimmy, dear?’

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,656,944 books! | Top bar: Always visible