The Corinthian by Georgette Heyer

The Corinthian (original 1940; edition 1983)

by Georgette Heyer

Member:evareads
Title:The Corinthian
Authors:Georgette Heyer
Info:Bantam (1983), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:historical, chick-lit, love

The Corinthian = Beau Wyndham by Georgette Heyer (1940)

Recently added byprivate library, GanneC, kd_lawson, mvr1426, GeoRougier, lelapin7, GypsyKylara, Adrastaea, baroquebird

English (50)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (53)
The Corinthian - Heyer
Audio performance by Georgina Sutton
3 stars

This was a very predictable Regency romance. The plot is silly. The characters are exaggerated stereotypes. It’s a very low temperature romance that is limited to a single kiss on the last page of the book.

Heyer’s Regency romances are set pieces; costumes and comedy of manners. This one was not as tightly plotted or as funny as The Grand Sophie, but it was mildly entertaining. The female protagonist, Penelope Creed, dresses as a boy and climbs out of a window and runs away to escape a forced marriage. She is rescued and abetted by Sir Richard, rich, tall, dark, handsome etc, etc. Sir Richard is also escaping an unfortunate marriage engagement. There were some amusing moments, but absolutely no surprises.

So why read it? Or, as I did, why listen to it? Sometimes a very predictable book is what I need to pass the time while I do something that might require more of my attention, like driving, or baking, or gardening. This book helped me do all of those things. If my attention wandered away from the plot, it didn’t matter very much. It was pleasant, undemanding and easily forgettable. But it served its purpose. ( )
  msjudy | Apr 30, 2018 |
A classic Heyer romp, stuffed to bursting with abduction, escapes, murder and robbery - and possibly the only book ever to have been set in my home village of Queen Charlton (no, Heyer had evidently never been there)... ( )
  TheIdleWoman | Dec 8, 2017 |
Somewhat contrived involvement of an independent young woman escaping boorish (and mercenary) relatives. But great fun and one of my favourite entertaining reads. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jul 1, 2017 |
This one is a lot of fun. Pen is one of my favourite Heyer heroines, in spite of her youth and impetuous nature.

She first encounters Sir Richard while climbing out of a window disguised as a boy, and things continue in a light-hearted vein thereafter.

Sir Richard is fed up of people telling him to get married - if he ever does tie the knot, he'd prefer it to be for love.

Pen has her own fortune - and is also being pushed to marry so that others can benefit from the money.

She wants to escape and have an adventure.

Sir Richard wasn't looking for an adventure, but when he's bored to tears with society and an adventure drops right into his lap - he's game to lend a hand. ( )
  JudithProctor | May 6, 2017 |
The ridiculously wealthy Sir Richard Wyndham has just been bullied by his family into proposing to a cold-hearted mercenary woman whom he does not love. They day before his proposal, he goes on a drunken walk through the night-time city, and a boy climbs out of a window into his arms. But the boy turns out to be Penelope Creed, a young heiress who is likewise being pressured by her family to marry someone she doesn't love. Penelope is about to set out on a journey, and Wyndham feels obligated to escort her.

The Corinthian is a fantastic adventure for both the characters and the reader. This is only my second Georgette Heyer book, but it'll probably end up to be my favorite. The characters made lovably silly choices all the way through the book, with humorous outcomes. The book remains light-hearted while sticking to a believable story-line. I can't wait to read another Heyer book - in fact I almost went ahead and picked up another right away. I'll definitely read another within the next few months. ( )
  The_Hibernator | Sep 27, 2016 |
I mentioned, when I began this series, that the Regency world Georgette Heyer created is in many ways a secondary fantasy world, and this work showcases most of what I meant.
added by lquilter | editTor.com, Mari Ness (Jan 15, 2013)

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sutton, GeorginaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The company, ushered by a disapproving butler into the yellow saloon of Sir Richard Wyndham's house in St James Square, comprised two ladies and one reluctant gentleman.
Original title: "Beau Wyndham" reedited as "The Corinthian".

The only question which hangs over the life of Sir Richard Wyndham, notable whip, dandy and Corinthian, is one of marriage. On the eve of making the most momentous decision of his life, while he is contemplating a loveless marriage with a woman his friends have compared to a cold poultice, he is on his way home, a little worse for drink, and finds a perfect opportunity for escape by her boring destiny.

He discovers a beautiful young fugitive climbing out of a window by means of knotted sheets, dressed in boy's clothing lovely Penelope Creed is fleeing from London. She is a brilliant London heires with and lavish life, and a proposed marriage to her repulsive fish-lipped cousin, a man she loathed. She has a shimmering dream of a love she had known once--and lost. Discovered by Sir Wyndham, he can't allow her to travel to the countryside all alone, so he offers himself as her protector.

And with her in flight across a landscape of excitement was a man like no other she had known-- handsome, sophisticated, but cynical. They had met by accident, been drawn together by danger. And now only his masked emotions and the shifting impulses of her own wild young heart would tell what their destiny would be.... When their stagecoach overturns, they find themselves embroiled with thieves, at the center of a murder investigation, and finally, in love.

When a man comes across a beautiful young woman climbing out of a window in a bid to escape, he finds the ideal opportunity to realize his own escape in this sparkling Regency romance with a decidedly Shakespearean twist.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,791,859 books! | Top bar: Always visible