The Waking Land by Callie Bates

The Waking Land (original 2017; edition 2018)

by Callie Bates (Author)

Series: The Waking Land (1)

"A young girl is kidnapped by the king to punish her father's rebellion against him. Years later, she returns home a fugitive, while grappling with a repressed magic that could, if mastered, make her the most powerful person in two kingdoms"--
Member:Mav.Weirdo
Title:The Waking Land
Authors:Callie Bates (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2018), Edition: Reprint, 432 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Fantasy, Female

The Waking Land by Callie Bates (2017)

I so wanted this to be at least a 4 star read-but *heavy sigh* it falls a little short.

At five years old Lady Elanna is caught up in the political turmoil between her father and his enemy the King of Eren. The kingdom is divided between those who hold the magic of the earth, and those who hunt the witches. When Elanna's father is uncovered as a a rebel the King takes Elanna hostage and raises her in his court. Although her parents try to guard and protect her from afar, Elanna becomes a victim of Stockholm Syndrome and loses her true identity. As the years past Elanna begins to experience episodes, which can only be attributed to magic and she cannot understand how she could come to have this power.

This was Bates debut novel-the premise of the story was wonderful. How Bates expanded and grew her characters and the world, well it just could have been better.

This was the first book of a series. Because my library has the 2nd book, I am going to give the author the benefit of the doubt and hope book 2 does not disappoint.
  JBroda | Sep 24, 2021 |
It's hard to invoke memories of famous books like Lord of the Rings without making it feel like you ripped something off. But Bates does it flawlessly. The mountain people and Helm's Deep, the army of the ancestors... It was a joy to see that LotR had been an influence on Bates' writing, and that I wasn't likely the only one to see that! Just enough similarity to call on a memory, and different enough to feel like an entirely different concept. The plot isn't anything new, but it didn't need to be. The characters were fantastic and well-thought-out. With that, enough guesswork to make the specifics of the ending uncertain, and just the right amount of heartbreak, this was well worth the read. 4 stars. ( )
  KOrionFray | Oct 5, 2019 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this. I thought it was a well-written debut fantasy, with an interesting world/mythology. I liked the heroine. Elanna had understandable doubts throughout, but she was never overly wishy-washy. She took action, even if things didn't work out exactly as planned, at least she did SOMETHING.

I've seen criticism about insta-love, whiny characters, and repetitiveness, but IMO none of that was here. True, the romance between El and another character happens after a relatively short amount of time, but if you've read any other YA fantasy or any romance, the length of time before anything happens in this book is practically a lifetime in comparison to many other books out there! Personally, I liked this a lot more than several other of the extremely popular YA fantasy series out now.

Full disclosure: I received a free advanced reader's edition of this title from the publisher in a Book Riot giveaway. I liked this book so much, though, that I bought a final copy to support the author and I look forward to the rest of the planned trilogy. ( )
  DGRachel | Jun 14, 2019 |
Overall, I enjoyed this. I think perhaps it was too much packed into one book. The world the author built was well done, but there were too many characters and history to keep up with. The main character's evolution was a little muddled but the writing was good and I think the author has a lot of potential. ( )
1 vote Jandrew74 | May 26, 2019 |
What a gorgeous book! I'm in love! Everything about this book was engaging and unique and kept me spellbound all the way through the story.
The story is about a girl, the Lady Elanna Valtai, who has been held hostage for 12 or so years to ensure her fathers loyalty to the crown. She was taken when she was five years old and has few memories of her parents and has been raised and educated with the royal children of the family. Therefore she has an incorrect education in the real history of her parents and countries history. She has been studying botany for some time as she has a gift for growing things. Lloyce, the kings heir to the throne hates Elanna, and when the king suddenly becomes ill by a poisoned mushroom that she was studying she becomes framed for his murder. Elanna loved the king like a father and would never had anything to do with his murder.
She also know that she has a bond with the secret circles of stones found throughout the country, when she puts a drop of her blood on the stone once a year she hears and sees things that most others cannot. Once she is safely brought back to her homeland she feels an immediate bond with the land itself and finds out that her magic (that was outlawed in her previous home) makes her the Caveadear, the waker of the lands. A position that has been vacant for nearly 200 years. As she grows to learn more about her family and people she becomes torn on her family that raised her and the one she was born to lead.
I am really looking forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  Verkruissen | Sep 27, 2018 |

Belongs to Series

For Grandpa Del.

I wish I could put this book into your hands.
I felt safe that night in Laon, safer than I had any night before in the city.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,467,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible