Radical Candor: Be a Kick-Ass Boss Without…

Radical Candor: Be a Kick-Ass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity

by Kim Scott

I like the message, but this could have been a blog post. ( )
  jcrben | Sep 22, 2018 |
I... don't know why I keep reading/bookmarking management books--I'm not a manager--but this one was pretty interesting. "Radical candor" involves "caring personally and challenging directly" -- being open and honest with your co-workers and the people you manage, and encourage them to do the same, instead of keeping things impersonal and avoiding conflict. (With all sorts of buzzwords and charts; this is a management book after all).

You want to get to know the people you manage: their goals, their values, their "trajectories" (job goals), etc. People should be able to bring their whole self to work (something I wouldn't be able to appreciate until now, because I really do feel more like my normal-not-at-work self at my current job than I ever have. It's almost weird.)

It sounds stupidly obvious, but actually implementing something like that is tricky.

The one-on-one meetings she kept mentioning seemed ridiculous and unwieldy until the very last chapter: "I quit thinking of them as meetings and begin treating them as if I were having lunch or coffee with somebody"... suddenly, yeah, duh, that's how all the best planning happens, and the best way to check in with someone.

I'd highly recommend this for any sort of manager, really. ( )
  Andibook | Jun 7, 2017 |

From the time we learn to speak, we're told that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. When you become a manager, it's your job to say it -- and your obligation. Author Kim Scott was an executive at Google and then at Apple, where she developed a class on how to be a good boss. Radical Candor is a simple idea: to be a good boss, you have to Care Personally at the same time that you Challenge Directly. When you challenge without caring, it's obnoxious aggression; when you care without challenging, it's ruinous empathy. When you do neither, it's manipulative insincerity. This simple framework can help you build better relationships at work, and fulfill your three key responsibilities as a leader: creating a culture of feedback (praise and criticism), building a cohesive team, and achieving results you're all proud of.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,546,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible