Radical Candor: Be a Kick-Ass Boss Without…

Radical Candor: Be a Kick-Ass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Kim Scott (Author)

Business. Nonfiction. HTML:

Now a New York Times bestseller
This program is read by the author.
"Radical Candor is packed with illuminating truths, insightful advice, and practical suggestions, all illustrated with engaging (and often funny) stories from Kim Scott's own experiences at places like Apple, Google, and various start-ups. Indispensable."‚??Gretchen Rubin author of New York Times bestseller The Happiness Project
"Reading Radical Candor will help you build, lead, and inspire teams to do the best work of their lives. Kim Scott's insights...-will help you be a better leader and create a more effective organization."‚??Sheryl Sandberg author of the New York Times bestseller Lean In
From the time we learn to speak, we're told that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. When you become a manager, it's your job to say it‚??and your obligation.
Author Kim Scott was an executive at Google and then at Apple, where she developed a class on how to be a good boss. She has earned growing fame in recent years with her vital new approach to effective management, Radical Candor.
Radical Candor is a simple idea: to be a good boss, you have to Care Personally at the same time that you Challenge Directly. When you challenge without caring it's obnoxious aggression; when you care without challenging it's ruinous empathy. When you do neither it's manipulative insincerity.
This simple framework can help you build better relationships at work, and fulfill your three key responsibilities as a leader: creating a culture of feedback (praise and criticism), building a cohesive team, and achieving results you're all proud of.
Radical Candor offers a guide to those bewildered or exhausted by management, written for bosses and those who manage bosses. Taken from years of the author's experience, and distilled clearly giving actionable lessons to the reader; it shows managers how to be successful while retaining their humanity, finding meaning in their job, and creating an environment where people both love their work and their colleagues.
"Kim Scott has a well-earned reputation as a kick-ass boss and a voice that CEOs take seriously. In this remarkable book, she draws on her extensive experience to provide clear and honest guidance on the fundamentals of leading others: how to give (and receive) feedback, how to make smart decisions, how to keep moving forward, and much more. If you manage people‚??whether it be 1 person or a 1,000‚??you need Radical Candor. Now."‚??Daniel Pink author of New York Times bestseller
… (more)

Member:muwaffaq
Title:Radical Candor: Be a Kick-Ass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity
Authors:Kim Scott (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Press (2017), Edition: 1, 272 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

Radical Candor: Be a Kick-Ass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity by Kim Scott (2017)

I enjoy reading about real life experiences, how they panned out and lessons learnt. This book contains a lot of great examples to learn from including senior Google and Apple experiences. ( )
  gianouts | Jul 5, 2023 |
I loved this article when it came out in First Round, and read and shared it a bunch of times. So I was excited to see the book .... but the intro alone started giving me HIVES. It felt like a terrible remix of a song I used to love -- dialing up the aggression and nastiness, the Steve-Jobs-iness of "radical" candor, without hinting there might be ways to use candor that weren't simply to be an aggressor, to "win" a meeting. I am plowing along and hope it changes but right now I'm a bit weirded out. ( )
  emilymcmc | Jun 24, 2023 |
Really good book for people who think they have to be an asshole to get ahead in management.

If you don't think that to begin with, then it's more motivational. ( )
  nimishg | Apr 12, 2023 |
I couldn’t get into it. DNF
  Nerdyrev1 | Nov 23, 2022 |
Must read for every manager

This book is a gust of fresh wind in the world of management books. While there are other books with great advices, some of them fail to deliver value by being written in really dull manner or diving too deep in theoretical stuff. In the meantime Radical Candor delivers carefully selected insights from nowadays top software companies where author was working. It is also very relatable: most of the key points have an example from author's career and I believe many managers can recognize themselves and sometimes and compare how they handled the situation and what they learned from that. All in all, it is a great start to become better manager. ( )
  Giedriusz | Oct 16, 2022 |
For Andy Scott, the miraculous mixer of romance and stability in my life. For our children, Battle and Margaret, who give us daily surges of crazy joy and sane inspiration. For our parents, who taught us everything. And for our siblings, who helped us find each other.
Like most of us, I once had a terrible boss - a person who thought that humiliating people was a good way to motivate them.

Business. Nonfiction. HTML:

Now a New York Times bestseller
This program is read by the author.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,182,678 books! | Top bar: Always visible