At Home in the World: Reflections on…

At Home in the World: Reflections on Belonging While Wandering the Globe

by Tsh Oxenreider

562210,933 (4)2

I love a good travel memoir, and this is one of the best ones I've read. The author made me actually want to visit these countries rather than just enjoy reading about her family's travels through Asia, Australia, Africa, and Europe. She and her wanderlust husband traveled on a budget with three young children and, not only survived, but became closer as a family.

The countries that spoke to me the most were Thailand, New Zealand, Morocco, and Turkey. I have always wanted to visit New Zealand, but the draw of the other countries came as a surprise and were the result of Oxenreider's appealing descriptions. In all they spent nine months living in twenty different countries and found something to love about each one of them. The home-schooled children made friends without knowing the different languages and learned that laughter and play are the same all over the world.

The author sums up their year of lugging their backpacks around four continents with these heartfelt words:

"Traveling means touching, tasting, smelling the world. It means the chance to explore hamlets and boroughs that citizens the world over call home. Through travel, you can know, firsthand, the difference in taste between the bread in Sri Lanka and Turkey. You'll add years to your life with more layers, thicker skin, and a softer heart because of it. Travel is a gift." (258) ( )
2 vote Donna828 | Aug 6, 2017 |
It's hard to explain the ways this book tugged on my heart. It made me think of every trip I've taken; every exploration of an unknown city, every awkward moment struggling with a language I didn't know. I loved the nostalgia I felt while thinking of my backpacking days and the hope it gave me when I think of traveling with my own daughter as she grows older.

The book paints a beautiful picture of someone who is both the traveler and homebody. That's a description that's rare and yet I believe I share it with the author. I will never grow tired of exploring new horizons, but those trips are always made sweeter by knowing I have a home to return to.

I loved reading about their adventures. Tsh is honest about their struggles with culture shock or exhaustion, but at the same she marvels at the beauty of their surroundings. It feels like they are truly present in each country, not just skipping in to see one or two touristy things.

BOTTOM LINE: I loved this one. It was everything I hoped it would be. It’s got me itching to get back out there and explore a new country soon! It's a beautiful way to see the world, with your children and your spouse hand-in-hand.

"The act of travel, the constant moving and shuffling of our bodies and backpacks, our dotted lines across the map, the simplicity of owning less to see more-these small acts are weaving our family's tapestry." ( )
  bookworm12 | Apr 27, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 140020559X, Hardcover)

As Tsh Oxenreider, author of Notes From a Blue Bike, chronicles her family’s adventure around the world—seeing, smelling, and tasting the widely varying cultures along the way—she discovers what it truly means to be at home.

In her late thirties and as a mom to three kids under age ten, Tsh Oxenreider and her husband decided to spend a rather ordinary nine months in an extraordinary way: traveling the corners of the earth to see, together, the places they’ve always wanted to explore. This book chronicles their global journey from China to Thailand to Australia, Sri Lanka, Uganda, France, Croatia, and beyond, as they fill their days with train schedules, world-schooling the kids, and working from anywhere. Told with wit and candor, Oxenreider invites us on a worldwide adventure without the cost of a ticket; to discover people, places, and stories worth knowing about; to find peace in the places we call home; and to learn that, as the Thai say, in the end, we are all “same same but different.”

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 25 Feb 2017 23:18:17 -0500)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,687,920 books! | Top bar: Always visible