Doom Patrol Vol. 1: Brick by Brick (Young…

Doom Patrol Vol. 1: Brick by Brick (Young Animal) (edition 2017)

by Gerard Way (Author), Nick Derington (Illustrator)

"Flex Mentallo, Robotman, Rebis, Crazy Jane, and more are back to twist minds and take control. This new take on a classic embraces and reimagines the Morrison run's signature surrealism and irreverence. Incorporating bold, experimental art and a brash tone to match a new generation of readers, Gerard Way's DOOM PATROL establishes radical new beginnings, breaks new ground, and honors the warped team dynamic of the world's strangest heroes. This abstract and unexpected ensemble series nods at the Doom Patrol's roots by continuing to break the barriers of the traditional superhero genre."--… (more)
Member:Marytudor
Title:Doom Patrol Vol. 1: Brick by Brick (Young Animal)
Authors:Gerard Way (Author)
Other authors:Nick Derington (Illustrator)
Info:DC Comics (2017), 176 pages

Doom Patrol Vol. 1: Brick by Brick by Gerard Way

A near perfect heir to Morrison's classic run. I haven't been this excited about a comic book series in a long time. ( )
  scout101 | Sep 15, 2020 |
Artist Nick Derington is the star of this book, and his name should absolutely be up there beside Gerard Way's. The artwork was my favorite part of this new DP.
I've got a long-time love of Doom Patrol, and Way is a huge fan of Grant Morrison - so the work is handled with skill, knowledge, and some beautiful creative flair. I'm a little concerned that some characters will end up with shallow portrayals. Jane was almost entirely glossed over, even with an issue focusing on her. Cliff's whole deal is being the most human, and least human, at the same time - but this wasn't on display. The focus here is Casey Brink - and it's a worthwhile focus. I love that a facet of Danny is the center of the book. There were some cheap tricks and derivatives that I can't decide if they were fun or empty (TARDIS ambulance, Green Lantern retcon origin for Negative Man)... but that distills a sort of magic about comics, so I dig it.
Looking forward to seeing where the crew goes next. Keeping Way at the keyboard, and Derington at the drawing board, seems to be a little challenging - I don't even know if they even estimate deadlines and release dates on DP anymore - but it's worth the wait. Way is flighty, to say the least, which makes relying on him for anything a risky endeavor - but he's a brilliant artist when his muse is in gear. ( )
  Ron18 | Feb 17, 2019 |
I found this book surprisingly enjoyable. It probably helped that I went in with low expectations that anyone could match the crazed spirit of Grant Morrison's revival and because Gerard Way's [b:Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye, Vol. 1: Going Underground|33233051|Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye, Vol. 1 Going Underground|Gerard Way|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1502381434s/33233051.jpg|53971385] was pretty crappy. The new characters were very engaging and the old characters were very recognizably themselves (at least as far as being faithful to the Morrison incarnations), giving me the right mix of nostalgia and new direction. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
I am a fan of the Grant Morrison run so was not sure what to expect here. I was pleasantly surprised and did enjoy it. I am not sure I would hand this to someone who knows nothing about the characters or their stories. I think it might be too confusing for them. Let's be honest though the Morrison run was confusing at times as well. Myself, I want to know what happens next! ( )
  JJbooklvr | Aug 24, 2017 |

Way, Gerardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Derington, NickIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bonvillain, TamraColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Doom Patrol (Vol.6 1)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,596,679 books! | Top bar: Always visible