Tin Man (2017)

by Sarah Winman

"Shortlisted for the Costa Novel of the Year Award "This is an astoundingly beautiful book. It drips with tenderness. It breaks your heart and warms it all at once."--Matt Haig, author of How to Stop Time From internationally bestselling author Sarah Winman comes an unforgettable and heartbreaking novel celebrating love in all its forms, and the little moments that make up the life of one man. This is almost a love story. But it's not as simple as that. Ellis and Michael are twelve-year-old boys when they first become friends, and for a long time it is just the two of them, cycling the streets of Oxford, teaching themselves how to swim, discovering poetry, and dodging the fists of overbearing fathers. And then one day this closest of friendships grows into something more. But then we fast-forward a decade or so, to find that Ellis is married to Annie, and Michael is nowhere in sight. Which leads to the question: What happened in the years between? With beautiful prose and characters that are so real they jump off the page, Tin Man is a love letter to human kindness and friendship, and to loss and living"--… (more)

Heartbreaking and exquisite. Such a lovely read. ( )
  porte01 | Jan 25, 2021 |
Michael's story didn't interest me as much as Ellis's but it was so well written that I didn't mind. ( )
  FurbyKirby | Jan 5, 2021 |
A story of what could have been. Deeply sad, set in when AIDs was ravaging the gay community, and when being gay was a lot harder than it is in 2020. But the central character, who brought two people together didn't ever use any labels on himself. I wish I had friendships like in the book. ( )
  wifilibrarian | Nov 17, 2020 |
Quite superb writing - I experienced the writing through an audiobook narrator . Not a lot happens but the evocation of the love and friendship between the two men provides an emotional journey that is sufficient in itself. I did not realise till afterwards that the author was also the narrator; her narration was also superb. She is an actor turned author, fortunately for us! ( )
  Okies | Nov 1, 2020 |
'I already feel that it has done me good to go South,
the better to see the North'

Vincent Van Gogh in a letter to his brother Theo,
May 1890
For Robert Caskie
and for
Patsy
All Dora Judd ever told anyone about that night, three weeks before Christmas, was that she won the painting in a raffle.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,689,105 books! | Top bar: Always visible