Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Golden Torc by Julian May

The Golden Torc

by Julian May

Series: Saga of the Exiles (2)

English (4)  Dutch (3)  All languages (7)
The lowlife humans plot revenge on their Tanu overlords, including closing the time gate, destroying the torc factory and more! Aiken & Felice grow massive metafunctions and use them, not exactly always for good. The finale at the Grand Combat is thrilling and well worth re-reading. ( )
1 vote jkdavies | Jul 7, 2016 |
The Golden Torc follows the wonderful start of this Pliocene Exile series, The Many-Colored Land. This book is just as good as the first. Humans in the near future have been discovered by the aliens of the Galactic Milieu. This 'intervention' was precipitated by the development of active mental powers in humans. The aliens have a benevolent galactic 'Unity', or mental collective. However - not all humans fit in, as usual. A time portal back to a specific location and time is discovered, back to the Pliocene Era. Unfortunately aliens from another galaxy arrived first and the humans that go back in time must contend against them.
In this second book, the humans and aliens try to find a balance. Some want to go back, others want to be left alone and others want to live in peace. There's also a new faction - a group of renegade human operants from the future.
I found these books to be excellent in setting and plot. They aren't overly heavy on details or characters. The characters are bold and memorable and the setting is very, very well done. One of my favorite books. ( )
  Karlstar | Jul 26, 2015 |
I'm rereading a much loved series. And while it is a little dated, it's still a charming series with creative world building and great breadth of vision. Excellent fantasy, set when humans from the future go back to the pliocene era in a one way, one stop time machine and find that there is already a sentient race living there. All sorts of adventures ensue. ( )
  amf0001 | May 18, 2007 |

Julian Mayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bradbury, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Open the door to us, and we will see the orchards,
We will drink their cold water where the moon
     has left its trace.
The long road burns, hostile to strangers.
We wander without knowing and fine no place . . .

Before us is the door; what use for us to wish?
Better to turn away, abandoning hope.
We will never enter. We are weary of seeing it.
The door, opening, let so much silence escape.

That neither the orchards appeared nor any flower;
Only the immense space where emptiness and light are
Was suddenly everywhere present, overflowed the heart,
And washed our eyes almost blind under the dust.

—"The Threshold," Simone Weil
translated by William Burford
For Barbara,
nurse and redactor and sternman
The dragonfly hovered, a golden spark, just above the bare mast of the motionless boat.

Exiled beyond the time-portal into the world of six million years ago, the misfits of the 22nd century are enmeshed in the age-old war of two alien races. In this strange world, each year brings the ritual combat between the Firvulag and the Tanu. This is the sequel to "The Many-Coloured Land".

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:34 -0400)

By A.D. 2110 nearly 100,000 humans had fled the civilized strictures of the Galactic Milieu for the freedom they thought existed at the end of the one-way time tunnel to Earth, six million B.C. But all of them had fallen into the hands of the Tanu, a humanoid race who'd fled their own galaxy to avoid punishment for their barbarous ways. And now the humans had made the Tanu stronger than the Firvulag, their degenerate brethren and ritual antagonists. Soon the Tanu would reign supreme. Or so they thought...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,495,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible