The damnable question: A history of…

The damnable question: A history of Anglo-Irish relations (1976)

by George Dangerfield

1472 The Damnable Question: A Study in Anglo-Irish Relations, by George Dangerfield (read 25 Dec 1977)This book, in the inimitable Dangerfield style, covers the period of Irish history from 1800 to 1906 sketchily and the period from 1906 to December 1921 carefully. Dec 6, 1921, is the date the Irish delegates signed the Treaty--the Irish Civil War came in July 1922 and is beyond the scope of this book. This is a fair treatment of the period and all in all is an excellent treatment: the best I have read. Dangerfield is a great history popularizer, and no book of his I have ever read has failed to gain my approval. Here are the books by him I've read:
1098 The Era of Good Feelings, by George Dangerfield (read 5 Dec 1970) (Pulitzer History prize in 1953)
1099 The Strange Death of Liberal England, by George Dangerfield (read 9 Dec 1970)
1477 The Awakening of American Nationalism 1815-1828, by George Dangerfield (read 21 Jan 1978)
3847 Chancellor Robert R. Livingston of New York 1746-1813, by George Dangerfield (read 17 Jan 2004) ( )
  Schmerguls | Jan 19, 2009 |
To Mary Lou Dangerfield

my dear fellow traveler with Tony
from Dublin to Sligo, from London
to Oxford to Harpole

This Book Is Dedicated with My Love
Foreword -- "Inevitable," I think, is happiest as a meteorological term -- when it applies to such phenomena as tornados, waterspouts and hurricanes.

"The Easter Rising (Irish: Éirí Amach na Cásca), also known as the Easter Rebellion and referred to erroneously in some contemporary British reports as the Sinn Féin Rebellion, was an armed insurrection staged in Ireland during Easter Week, 1916. The Rising was mounted by Irish republicans with the aims of ending British rule in Ireland and establishing an independent Irish Republic at a time when the United Kingdom was heavily engaged in World War I. It was the most significant uprising in Ireland since the rebellion of 1798"--Wikipedia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,089,313 books! | Top bar: Always visible