The Masqueraders (Historical Romances Book…

The Masqueraders (Historical Romances Book 4) (original 1928; edition 2009)

by Georgette Heyer (Author)

Member:evareads
Title:The Masqueraders (Historical Romances Book 4)
Authors:Georgette Heyer (Author)
Info:Sourcebooks Casablanca (2009), Edition: Reprint, 338 pages
Tags:romance, historical

The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer (1928)

Recently added byprivate library, genesee, evareads, eloquinn, other, GeoRougier, twinkley, phyllis2779, Adrastaea

English (39)  German (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (42)
This is a Georgian not a regency, which I like much better, but not a bad book like Powder and Patch. I'd read this before but I thought it was due for a re-read. Not bad but the romance wasn't as satisfying as I thought it would be. I found Anthony Fanshaw somewhat boring and too perfect. Nothing shocked him, which was more than a little unbelievable. However, the two main characters were interesting and the heroine was delightful. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Oct 5, 2018 |
First an admission. I maybe wasn't paying attention at the beginning, I took this with me to the blood donor session and it's possible I missed something, but for the first 50 odd pages I was very very confused. Then, finally, the penny dropped and I realised that Robin & Prudence were masquerading as the opposite sex and were then Kate & Peter. At which point I read the first 50 pages again and it all made a lot more sense. Clearly this one needs you to pay attention!
This starts with Kate & Peter taking refuge in an inn and rescuing an eloping heiress who has since changed her mind about her beau. Having saved the day onto the scene arrives Sir Anthony Fanshawe (who does NOT want to marry Letty) and the book sets off. These 4 are the key characters and the rest of the book follows their somewhat eccentric adventures. Set after the Jacobite uprising, the reason for the disguises becomes clearer as the book progresses, Robin & Prudence have been involved on the losing side.
This book features a particularly outlandish character, Robin & Prudence's father. He's clearly a rackety type, having dragged them across Europe, owned a gaming den, taken multiple names and generally not been a credit to his family. He turns up in London society claiming to be the long lost brother and now heir to an estate. Even his children are surprised and can;t tell if he is who he now claims to be or not. Is he or not hangs in the balance for a fair portion of the book, but in the end it does all work out.
It's fun, it's a bit far fetched, but none the less enjoyable for that. ( )
  Helenliz | Jul 18, 2018 |
A historical romance, set after the Jacobite Rebellion.

Mr Peter Merriott and his sister Kate are on their to London to stay with my Lady Lowestoft. On the way, they chance on an eloping couple - but the lady is having second thoughts. They rescue the lady, and take her back to London with them. Staying with Lady Lowestoft, the Merriotts are introduced to Society - apparently on the instructions of their father. It seems the Merriotts are not what - or indeed, who - they seem. They are indeed brother and sister, but Peter is rightfully Prudence, and Kate is really Robin...

Making a stir in Society, Robin/Kate is attracted to the rescued heiress, and Prudence/Peter attracted to the heiress’ official suitor. Then their father turns up - it seems he is the (missing) heir to a Vicounty - or so he claims. It’s difficult to know for sure; the family have always been adventurers and lived by their wits. What is known is that Robin and his father took part in the Rebellion and Robin at least is under attainder.

After various ins and outs, all is resolved happily.

Great fun to read, I can recommend this one.
  Maddz | Apr 24, 2018 |
One of my favourite Heyer novels. An original plot line of disguise, cross-dressing and dissembling. Romance is very minor although typically part of all GH's Regency novels. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jun 23, 2017 |
Utterly delightful frothy romance - and not Regency but Georgian! Which somehow, despite the cover, I was not expecting. (I don't read plot summaries of Heyers before I read them, I just dive in.) I had a little bit of trouble sorting out who was who in the first couple of chapters, but once I got a handle on the cast it was lovely. I always love a cross-dressing romance. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Mar 26, 2016 |

Georgette Heyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Leach, RosemaryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sillers, RuthNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It had begun to rain an hour ago, a fine driving mist with the sky grey above.

Prudence and Robin Tremaine, are children of the notorious and brilliant Viscount of Barham, find themselves on the wrong side of the Jacobite rebellion. The brothers have been dissemblers since they were children. And in this age of slippery politics, they need to be. Their infamous adventurer father has taught Prudence and her brother Robin to be masters of disguise. To escape detection, the Viscount sends his offspring on the road to London, each masquerading as the opposite sex. Prudence pretending to be a dashing young buck, and Robin as a lovely young lady.

During the travelling to London to meet their eccentric and rather wayward father, they take a break for a meal, and overhear what is clearly a reluctant elopement... and decide to get involved. It quickly becomes clear that the brother and sister are not exactly what they seem to be... For they it is nothing to rescue the charming Letitia Grayson, a rich heiress from her abductor. But once committed to their masquerade, they must see it through. And now, with their own Iives at stake, they hid in the very limelight of London society.

As Peter Merriot, captivating Prudence became the favorite companion of dashing and elegant aristocrat Sir Anthony Fanshawe, her guise that become highly inconvenient when she falls for him, even though discovery of her true identity meant death. Just as it seemed as though her mad pose might succeed, she was challenged to a duel. Prudence knew it would not he long before this tall, sleepy-eyed gentleman fathomed her desperate secret. The two masqueraders must find a way to unmask themselves without losing their lives?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373836066, Mass Market Paperback)

She could disguise everything -- except her love for him . . .

Prudence Marriot, along with her roguish brother Robin, is the darling of high-society London -- but the two rarely appear as themselves. Instead, Prudence disguises herself as a young lad named Peter, while her brother dons the fashionable attire of a gentlewoman. Their costumes serve as a useful decoy to protect the Marriot family . . .

But when she meet Sir Anthony Fanshave, Prudence wonders if she has finally met her prince. The elegant Sir Anthony is everything Prudence has ever wanted. The only problem is that Sir Anthony has never met Prudence . . .only a young, handsome fellow named Peter. In revealing her true identity, she risks losing everything she holds dear . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:03 -0400)

"Such a daring escape...could cost them both their hearts...Their infamous adventurer father has taught Prudence Tremaine and her brother Robin to be masters of disguise. Ending up on the wrong side of the Jacobite rebellion, brother and sister flee to London, Prudence pretending to be a dashing young buck, and Robin, a lovely young lady...Then Prudence meets the elegant Sir Anthony Fanshawe, and Robin becomes the mysterious hero of the charming Letitia Grayson, and in order to have what they truly want, the two masqueraders must find a way to unmask themselves without losing their lives..."--p.[4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,791,953 books! | Top bar: Always visible