The Menace from Earth by Robert A. Heinlein

The Menace from Earth (edition 1966)

by Robert A. Heinlein

1,350118,601 (3.58)1 / 29
Member:dennymeta
Title:The Menace from Earth
Authors:Robert A. Heinlein
Info:Dobson Books Ltd (1966), Hardcover, 255 pages

The Menace From Earth by Robert A. Heinlein

To start, I have to be honest and say that I love Heinlein's work. I see Heinlein as a big picture guy. His science and details about the 'future' may not be entirely accurate, but he gets people. As with any short story collection, some stories will appeal to any reader more than others and you will see that spoken about if you cruise the reviews. I suggest reading them and making up your own mind. While the players may be dated, the concepts are universal. ( )
  Velmeran | Jan 26, 2019 |
short stories, some interesting ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
A classic. And proof that Heinlein was versatile. If released today would qualify as YA romance and SF both. ( )
  bgknighton | Apr 13, 2016 |
The Year of the Jackpot 4/5
By His Bootstraps 4/5
Columbus Was a Dope 2/5
The Menace from Earth 1/5
Sky Lift 4/5
Goldfish Bowl 1/5
Project Nightmare 5/5
Water Is for Washing 3/5 ( )
  Vonk76 | Mar 31, 2013 |
With Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke I think their short stories are more impressive than their novels, and if I were to list my favorite short science fiction stories, Asimov and Clarke would crowd out almost everyone else in the top ten. With Heinlein I tend to think it's the reverse--that it's his long fiction that is the most memorable--stronger than that of Asimov and Clarke just as their short fiction is much more memorable than that of Heinlein. I just don't think any Heinlein short is of the same caliber as Asimov's "Nightfall" or "The Dead Past" or Clarke's "The Star" or "The Billion Names of God."

But--it surprised me just how enjoyable these were. This is a reread, although I last read this ages ago in my teens. The story I remembered best--and still like the best, is the title story, "The Menace from Earth." It's quite light-hearted and there's a lot here to like. JK Rowling, eat your heart out, Quidditch has nothing on the winged flyers of the Moon! And I quite liked fifteen-year-old Holly Jones--she has quite a lot in common with Heinlein's Podkayne of Mars, only more level-headed and the ending of this novelette doesn't make me want to bounce the book against the wall. "By His Bootstraps," a time-loop story, is another one I found very memorable--although I don't think on first read decades ago I hated Bob Wilson oh so much. With "Goldfish Bowl" I definitely remembered the odd form of the water and the food--and the story does creepy well. "The Year of the Jackpot" is quite unsettling and like many of Heinlein's stories, features a nice little twist. The other four stories aren't as strong--but none is less than entertaining. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Feb 8, 2013 |

Robert A. Heinleinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Melo,JohnCover artsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Hermann B. Deutsch
THE YEAR OF THE JACKPOT:

At first Potiphar Breen did not notice the girl who was undressing.
A collection. Do not combine with the short story by itself.

If she had cracked up without my help, I wouldn't have shed a tear, but -
"Ariel, I can't stop you ... but I should put my winds away and not have anything to do with it."
"Perhaps, Jeff will help me."
:He probably will" I blurted out, "If he's as big a fool as I think he is!"
Just then Jeff stalled in beside us. "WHat's the discussion?" ... HE got the idea I had suggested it, and started bawling me out. Was I crazy? Was I trying to get Ariel hurt? Didn't I have any sense?
"Shut up!" I Yelled. "You asked me to teach your girl friend. Now beat it! Take wing!"
He swelled up. "I absolutely forbid it."
Silence. Then ... "Come, Holly," Ariel said quietly, "Let's get me some wings."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,175,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible