Strange Weather: Four Short Novels by Joe…

Strange Weather: Four Short Novels (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Joe Hill (Author)

Member:DubaiReader
Title:Strange Weather: Four Short Novels
Authors:Joe Hill (Author)
Info:William Morrow (2017), Edition: First Edition/First Printing, 448 pages
Tags:Novellas, Fest Bk Grp, Lit Fest author, Science fiction, 2018

Strange Weather: Four Short Novels by Joe Hill (2017)

Download #41062
Search Google
isbn: 9780062663115

Four short novels from the author of THE FIREMAN and HORNS, ranging from creepy horror to powerful explorations of our modern society. One autumnal day in Boulder, Colorado, the clouds open up in a downpour of nails, splinters of bright crystal that tear apart anyone who isn't safely under cover. 'Rain' explores this escalating apocalyptic event, as clouds of nails spread out across the country and the world. Amidst the chaos, a girl studying law enforcement takes it upon herself to resolve a series of almost trivial mysteries . . . apparently harmless puzzles that turn out to have lethal answers. In 'Loaded' a mall security guard heroically stops a mass shooting and becomes a hero to the modern gun movement. Under the hot glare of the spotlights, though, his story begins to unravel, taking his sanity with it... 'Snapshot, 1988' tells the story of an kid in Silicon Valley who finds himself threatened by The Phoenician, a tattooed thug who possesses a Polaroid that can steal memories... And in 'Aloft' a young man takes to the skies to experience parachuting for the first time . . . and winds up a castaway on an impossibly solid cloud, a Prospero's island of roiling vapour that seems animated by a mind of its own. ** Review “A four-pack of mayhem in this sparkling collection of short novels. . . .Worth waiting in line for, if you’re a Hill fan. If you’re not, this is the book to turn you into one.” (Kirkus Reviews (starred review)) “There are few authors as deft at marrying pulse-pounding action and a sense of inescapable dread than Joe Hill. Fans of his masterful thrillers NOS4A2 and The Fireman will find plenty to love in his new collection of four short novels.” (BookPage) “Its ideas have powerful emotional and political resonance.” (Publishers Weekly) “Hill is not only maturing as a writer of relevantly chilling tales but he is also emerging as a distinct voice for our complicated times.” (Booklist (starred review)) “An essential instant read for Hill’s fans and a solid introduction for new readers.” (Library Journal) About the Author Joe Hill is the author of the New York Times bestsellers Horns, Heart-Shaped Box, and NOS4A2. He is also the Eisner Award-winning writer of a six-volume comic book series, Locke & Key. He lives in New Hampshire.
  Skypiea | Sep 21, 2018 |
I agree with what Hill writes in his afterword about short novels: I am drawn to them more and more, especially in the horror genre, as they seem to be just the right length for a scary tale, with space for characterization but also not losing their punch. This is a collection of four novellas by Hill. I'll review them in the order with which I liked them.

"Loaded": A gut punch of a story. There is nothing supernatural about it, yet it is the most horrific story in the collection. It's about the out-of-control spiral that can happen when a gun seems like the answer to every problem, and it's also a searing indictment of my country's love affair with guns.

"Rain": A chilling and unique end-of-the world scenario. What I really liked about this story was its narrative voice and also all the crazy characters that live on the narrator's street.

"Snapshot": Isn't it funny that Stephen King also has a story about a supernatural Polaroid camera? This was an interesting concept, but I was left wanting something. I just didn't feel like the supernatural element was well enough explained for me to fully buy into it. Well-written, though.

"Aloft": Okay, this one was just weird. A guy who is sky-diving lands onto a sentient cloud, which then tries to keep him as some kind of pet. Bizarre.

Overall, this was a great collection that I really enjoyed. ( )
  sturlington | Sep 11, 2018 |
I liked the first of these four novellas, "Snapshot" and the last, "Rain" but not the other two. ( )
  fhudnell | Aug 28, 2018 |
Joe Hill’s Strange Weather is a collection of four short novels with diverse narrators, themes, and settings that might appeal to readers preferring light thrillers or science fiction. The first story, Snapshot, takes place in the 1980’s, and is told from the point of view of Michael, a thirteen-year-old boy. He is approached outside his home by a woman who used to babysit and clean for his family. She seems disoriented and lost, fearfully telling Michael to not to let his picture be taken. He is puzzled by her warning until he later encounters a menacing stranger with a Polaroid camera who seems to have some evil intent. This tale is one of the stronger ones in the book, exciting and reminiscent of some of his famous father’s earlier works. Loaded, the second novella, is very different in tone and takes place in the current day. It explores the timely topics of gun violence, police brutality and racial profiling. The story describes what can happen when an overzealous security guard with a propensity toward violence makes a huge error based on his own biases. While the plot is gripping and contains an unexpected twist, the story seems a bit overly ambitious as it attempts to make several political statements at once. The third tale is Aloft, and it is probably the weakest of the four. Aubrey, the main character finds himself in a unique situation after agreeing to participate in a sky-jumping tribute in memory of a friend. The story has science fiction elements combined with allusions to a well-known fairy tale. The final offering in Hill’s collection is Rain. Told from the point of view of a woman named Honeysuckle, it also combines science fiction with a well-known reference-this time a children’s book (and movie). This last story includes a bizarre weather catastrophe, a cult, and terrorism. Hill proves he is a talented and versatile writer, with a good grasp of the hot button topics of our time. Despite the varying strength and success of the four novellas, each was entertaining and thought-provoking in their own way. ( )
  jnmegan | Jul 31, 2018 |
Strange Weather by Joe Hill is a book I got from the library. I really didn't care for two of the four stories. I enjoyed the creepy and strange story called "Snapshot". A man with a odd camera that steals memories from those that he takes pictures of. The middle two stories I didn't care for. The last story called "Rain" was fairly good. It had rain with nails made of crystals coming down and killing and destroying portions of Colorado. Life gets real strange after that. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Jul 9, 2018 |
For Mr. Blue Sky:
Aidan Sawyer King. Love you, kid.
Shelly Beukes stood at the bottom of the driveway, squinting up at our pink-sandstone ranch as if she had never seen it before.

"Snapshot" is the disturbing story of a Silicon Valley adolescent who finds himself threatened by "The Phoenician," a tattooed thug who possesses a Polaroid Instant Camera that erases memories, snap by snap.In "Loaded," a mall security guard in a coastal Florida town courageously stops a mass shooting and becomes a hero to the modern gun rights movement. But under the glare of the spotlights, his story begins to unravel, taking his sanity with it. When an out-of-control summer blaze approaches the town, he will reach for the gun again and embark on one last day of reckoning.A young man takes to the skies to experience his first parachute jump. . . and winds up a castaway on an impossibly solid cloud, a Prospero's island of roiling vapor that seems animated by a mind of its own in "Aloft."On a seemingly ordinary day in Boulder, Colorado, the clouds open up in a downpour of nails--splinters of bright crystal that shred the skin of anyone not safely under cover. "Rain" explores this escalating apocalyptic event, as the deluge of nails spreads out across the country and around the world.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Joe Hill's book Strange Weather is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Joe Hill is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,933,380 books! | Top bar: Always visible