The Highland Duke

by Amy Jarecki

Series: Lords of the Highlands (1)

RT Reviewers' Choice Award winner She'll put her life on the line for him . . . When Akira Ayres finds the brawny Scot with a musket ball in his thigh, the healer has no qualms about doing whatever it takes to save his life. Even if it means fleeing with him across the Highlands to tend to his wounds while English redcoats are closing in. Though Akira is as fierce and brave as any of her clansmen, even she's intimidated by the fearsome, brutally handsome Highlander who refuses to reveal his name. Yet she can never learn his true identity. Geordie knows if Akira ever discovers he's the Duke of Gordon, both her life and his will be forfeit in a heartbeat. The only way to keep the lass safe is to ensure she's by his side day and night. But the longer he's with her, the harder it becomes to think of letting her go. Despite all their differences, despite the danger-he will face death itself to make her his . . . "Readers get all the benefits of a modern road trip (forced proximity, lots and lots of dialogue, and uninterrupted time for the hero and heroine's love to grow) without technology or secondary characters interrupting the main story arc. About halfway through there is a pretty darn huge plot twist, too. This book kept me on my toes and anxious for more." --Book Riot… (more)

Please see all of my reviews on my blog at https://www.robinlovesreading.com.

This story has quite a twist to it. There is instant chemistry between Geordie and Akira. Why is this a Twist? It is because of him being a Duke and her being a Gypsy. In this Scottish Regency era, circumstances could not have been more impossible. While they are in flight, the fight is on. Geordie’s station is of utter importance. Although Akira has absolutely no idea who Geordie really is, her primary concern is that of her mother and three sisters. She is solely responsible for their survival. Her reputation may be at stake, especially when they do find refuge and she hears him referred to as “m’lord”.

Admittedly my knowledge of this time in history, especially with reference to social standing, is quite limited. Even so, I was rather enamored with this love story. As this is a historical romance, no doubt readers will, as I did, expect a happy ending. As in every romance story, there is conflict. Incredible desire and social standing, along with a particular issue Geordie is contending with, presents quite a challenge in this story.

In addition to this, there is nonstop action, and quite a bit of adventure. There are also several characters that we meet during the course of this series that we will no doubt meet again in future stories. As I was quite riveted to this story, it should come to no surprise that I read this book from cover to cover in one sitting, just as I did the next three stories!

This is the first book in the Akira Ayres has been a healer since the age of twelve. She finds a Scot with a terrible injury, a musket ball in his thigh. She wants to send for a doctor, but he insists that she remove it. Suddenly, they must flee from the enemy. In so doing, Akira is ever more determined to do anything she can to save his life. The Scot refers to himself as Geordie, desperate to keep the fact that he is the Duke of Gordon a secret. By so doing, this is the only way he can keep them safe.

This is the first book in the Lords of the Highland series. The other books that have been released are, The Highland Commander, The Highland Guardian and The Highland Chieftain. The Highland Renegade and The Highland Earl are due for publication in 2019. Reviews to follow. ( )
  RobinLovesReading | Oct 25, 2019 |
This is not my first Amy Jarecki novel, nor will it be my last. THE HIGHLAND DUKE is the first in her new series, Lords of the Highlands. And what a start it is! This book pulled me in and kept me captivated until the last page. I didn't want it to end. Seriously. I'm already looking forward to the next book, The Highland Commander.
This story centers around 2 people from very different social standings. Akira is a healer of Romany descent that lives in a thatched cottage and Geordie is the Duke of Gordon with plenty of land, properties and money. There's a good flow to the character development not too fast and yet not too slow. The story itself is just fantastic, it keeps you reading page after page. I really didn't have any idea how they were going to solve their "dilemma"!
I HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone that loves Highlanders, Dukes, or anything historical!!

I was given a copy of this book from the publisher via netgalley for my honest unbiased review. ( )
  HistoricalJunkie | Sep 17, 2019 |
I enjoyed the historical aspect and loved Akira. Geordie was a bit of an idiot though. Overall, good start to a new series and Amy Jarecki is a new to me author I plan to continue to read! ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |

CelticBookDragon | Apr 12, 2017 |
From the first sentence, “ The dead Highland soldier stared vacantly at the thick low-hanging clouds” the author had already snared me. It’s a hook which had me question how can a dead Highlander stare at anything?

I find myself on a battlefield, just outside the village Dunkeld. The story is riveting, suspenseful and yet humorous.

Geordie crawls into the brush after being wounded. When he meets Akira, he is none other than Geordie, a man wounded in battle, and vulnerable. He shouldn’t even have been at the battle and if the Queen Ann were to find out, his head would be rolling. Geordie is a complex man, a man of secrets and secrets they must remain.

Every so often his dukeliness comes out. Dukeliness encompasses his pompous, self-absorbed, domineering nobleman traits, which raises Akira's hackles.

At one point she is entirely exasperated with him when he doesn't listen to her and demands to do things his way, thereby injuring himself further.

"Of all the ungrateful oafs I have ever met, you must be the most boorish. If you dare die in my care, I shall--I shall kill you!"

Akira is of gypsy blood and even the poor look down on her and her family. But the family works hard, the mother has done her best taking care of four children. Akira is sweet, innocent and a lovable character, and quite lovely to look at. Geordie has offered her money to aid him. Granted, the money is very important to Akira. She knows her family could live months on that amount.

Is it true opposites attract? A duke with all the trappings, a young woman with barely enough to eat and living in dismal conditions. What is the catalyst that brings them together?

Captain Roderick Weaver, leader to the Marquis of Atholl’s regiment of Government troops is a thorn in the duke’s side, and a devilish man. Hatred oozes from his pores. You will love to hate this antagonist. He easily is willing to forfeit anyone’s life who may stand in the way of riches. He’s a man who uses circumstances to gain more power.

I enjoy all the foul language Geordie spouts off and laugh at how Akira gives as good as she gets. I'm afraid to write it in my review for fear Amazon will reject the language. But it is funny to listen to him spout off. She eventually tells him,

“If I kent you were going to curse at me like a job from the alehouse, I would have gone home and left you to die!? She rolled to her hip and rubbed her backside."

I'm excited about starting this new series with this author. The second in the series will be out this summer, so you don't have long to wait for the sequel. Great entertainment! Oh, by the way, the audiobook is already out on this one. So if you prefer to listen to this new series, you needn't wait! ( )
  Eileen.Dandashi | Apr 2, 2017 |

Amy Jareckiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hardy, PenelopeReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hyde-White, AlexReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To my agent, Elaine Spencer, who rarely sugarcoats anything, but believes in me regardless of my flaws.

And to my talented editor, Caroline Acebo, who has a magical knack for bringing out artfulness.

I thank you both.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,188,688 books! | Top bar: Always visible