The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and…

The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic (edition 2017)

by Leigh Bardugo (Author), Sara Kipin (Illustrator)

Member:pith
Title:The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic
Authors:Leigh Bardugo (Author)
Other authors:Sara Kipin (Illustrator)
Info:Imprint (2017), 288 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:2019 reads, author: leigh bardugo, book series: grishaverse, format: hardcover, genre: YA, short fiction collection

The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic by Leigh Bardugo

English (26)  Spanish (1)  All languages (27)
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

3.8 ★, to be exact.

Sometimes, we enter a library, not really knowing what we are looking for. One day, I entered the library, only to return a few books. Instead, I returned with two more. The first one didn’t impress me, but the second one was this book – The Language of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo. I only picked it up, because I liked the cover. And I know, we shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, but I guess the magic worked on me this time around.

This book featured six stories, all six magical and beautiful in their own way. Some attracted me more, some a bit less, but I, overall, feel delighted to have read this book. I haven’t read Leigh’s previous books, so I didn’t know about this world before, but these are apparently the same woods featured in those books as well.

I will give a brief opinion on all stories, and the main rating will be the average from them all. Let’s go.

1. Ayama and the Thorn Wood – ★★★★★

‘’Interesting things only happen to pretty girls.’’

A beautiful tale that will show you how beauty comes from within. The King and Queen have two sons – one is a beautiful man, the future king, and the other one is a monster. They are scared and ashamed of the monster-boy, and let him live his life in the labyrinth they made for him. In the village, in a poor family, there are two daughters, one as beautiful as the sun, and the other one ugly. When the monster escapes the labyrinth and starts ruining fields and make disasters, everyone is scared to go and talk to him and beg for forgiveness, so the ugly lady is sent to her woods – quite certain she will never return…

‘’This little prince was shaped a bit like a boy but more like a wolf, his body covered in slick black fur from crown to clawed foot. His eyes were red as blood, and the nubs of two budding horns protruded from his head.’’

2. The Too-Clever Fox – ★★★★★

‘’Freedom is a burden, but you will learn to bear it.’’

I loved this story the most, out of all six of them. It reminded me of home, and of how we tell stories back there. The whole ‘’Once Upon a Time’’ is real, and I enjoyed every moment of it. The winter theme, the hunting, the girl and the fox. This is a story that will teach you to not be assured you can outsmart everyone. Foxes in stories have always been presented as the smart ones, outsmarting every animal in the woods. This reminds me of Aesop’s Tales, which I really loved as a little girl. But sometimes, you will get outsmarted, and it might cost you your life. The twist was definitely unexpected, but indeed satisfying.

3. The Witch of Duva – ★★★

A story where girls disappear, and one girl decides to go into the woods and try to figure out why. This story upset me, and I didn’t like it. But deep inside, it’s a good one. Very creepy though, and very horror-y, but worth reading. Turn the lights off, get under a blanket, turn your torch on, and only then you will be ready to know the deep secrets this story tells you.

4. Little Knife – ★★★★

The shortest story in the book, but by all means not the least intriguing. A story that features a woman that is too beautiful, that men lose their mind as soon as they see her. To get the chance to marry her, men will have to go through a various of tasks. The twist at the end is incredible, and I really liked it. It starts off as a usual story, but it goes wild.

5. The Soldier Prince – ★★

This was a story I enjoyed the least. It all screamed ‘’The Nutcracker’’ to me, and I couldn’t see it as original. It was a re-make, and it was very different that the story we know, but it just didn’t work for me. This is a story about a man who makes toys and gives them life. And when one toy sort of ‘’wakes up’’, interesting things start to happen. Quite a creepy story. I usually like those, but this one was not my cup of tea.

6. When Water Sand Fire – ★★★★

‘’ We were not made to please princes.’’

This one is the longest story in the book. It features a world of creatures living underwater, and Ulla, who can sing and create magic, but who, as the people believe, is not a true born, but a mix between the underwater world and the humans. She is asked to help the prince become a king, but when the magic price is too high to paid, it doesn’t seem like she has a choice. I truly enjoyed this story, as it’s a beautiful mix of emotions while you read it. It was a bit disappointing that it seems as a remake of the creation of the character of Ursula from The Little Mermaid, at least to me.

Have you read this book, or any of Leigh Bardugo’s books? Let me know in the comments, I love to chat with you!

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest ( )
  InnahLovesYou | Apr 18, 2019 |
This is an absolutely gorgeous book with awesome remakes of old fairytales! Read it! And in a physical copy. The art around each page's border is just phenomenal. ( )
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |
Well, when I started reading it, I didn't expect to love it as much as I did! The stories/retellings were fantastically feminist which was the biggest positive. I also loved how Bardugo, kind of, overturned the beauty trope on its head to create protagonists/heroines who are not beautiful in the conventional sense but are rather brave, clever, and don't shy away from taking matters into their own hands to ultimately emerge victorious.

My favorite story has to be the last one - When Water Sang Fire - which is the origin story of Ursula, the villain from The Little Mermaid. Another one I loved was the retelling of the Beauty and the Beast called Ayama and the Thornwood.

I absolutely have to mention the illustrations by Sara Kipin which elevated the reading experience manifold. They are so detailed and the fact that they start from nothing and slowly build along as the story reaches its climax is what makes it so unique. If you haven't picked it up yet, you are definitely missing out on something amazing! ( )
  Megha17 | Jan 17, 2019 |
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

3.8 ★, to be exact.

1. Ayama and the Thorn Wood – ★★★★★

‘’Interesting things only happen to pretty girls.’’

2. The Too-Clever Fox – ★★★★★

‘’Freedom is a burden, but you will learn to bear it.’’

3. The Witch of Duva – ★★★

4. Little Knife – ★★★★

5. The Soldier Prince – ★★

6. When Water Sand Fire – ★★★★

‘’ We were not made to please princes.’’

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest ( )
  InnahLovesYou | Jan 5, 2019 |
This was a real treat. The book is gorgeous inside and out and filled with fairy tales that feel fresh and exotic. ( )
  redwritinghood38 | Nov 6, 2018 |

Leigh Bardugoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kipin, SaraIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In fairy tales, clever thieves are rewarded for their ingenuity, but purloin this book and be hounded forever by a gingerbread golem who will hide your keys and spoil all your dinner parties by talking about the boring dream she had last night.
In the year that summer stayed too long, the heat lay upon the prairie with the weight of a corpse.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 125012252X, Hardcover)

Enter the Grishaverse...

Love speaks in flowers. Truth requires thorns.

Travel to a world of dark bargains struck by moonlight, of haunted towns and hungry woods, of talking beasts and gingerbread golems, where a young mermaid's voice can summon deadly storms and where a river might do a lovestruck boy's bidding but only for a terrible price.

Inspired by myth, fairy tale, and folklore, #1 New York Times-bestselling author Leigh Bardugo has crafted a deliciously atmospheric collection of short stories filled with betrayals, revenge, sacrifice, and love.

Perfect for new readers and dedicated fans, these tales will transport you to lands both familiar and strange―to a fully realized world of dangerous magic that millions have visited through the novels of the Grishaverse.

This collection of six stories includes three brand-new tales, all of them lavishly illustrated with art that changes with each turn of the page, culminating in six stunning full-spread illustrations as rich in detail as the stories themselves.

An Imprint Book

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 16 Feb 2017 10:59:21 -0500)

Presents a collection of six short stories that transports readers to familiar and strange magical lands with haunted towns, hungry woods, talking beasts, and gingerbread golems.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,907,178 books! | Top bar: Always visible