dismiss

Understanding Wood: A Craftsman's Guide to Wood Technology

by R Bruce Hoadley

301261,786 (5)1
The first edition of Understanding Wood was published in 1980 and has since sold more than 130,000 copies. It is widely held as a definitive reference work and the cornerstone of every woodworker's library. Now, Bruce Hoadley's comprehensive guide to wood technology has been revised and updated in this 20th-anniversary edition of a classic. New information on composite materials, adhesives, and finishes brings this book into the 21st century, while more than 300 photographs bring important visual information to life. This edition covers the nature of wood and its properties, the basics of wood technology, and the woodworker's raw materials. Understanding Wood was written for woodworkers by a scientist with a love of woodworking. It will be sought after by craftsmen and collectors alike.… (more)

This book is an absolute necessity for anyone working with wood. The understandings that can be gained by reading and referring to this book will help anyone who has struggled to make things out of wood and found that it is just a bit more organic than it appears. ( )
  rmcdow | Oct 25, 2009 |
He covers many topics in this book, but does so with an amazing thoroughness. I was particularly impressed by the way he explains kiln drying. He did so in a fashion that was very readable, understandable & thorough. Much better than other papers & books I've read on the subject. Another chapter covers wood microscopy. It interested me enough that I bought another book he wrote on the subject. He's a professor, so he can & does use terms that I needed to look up, but he didn't overwhelm me with jargon. For a hard science text, it was extremely readable. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Sep 25, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,881,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible