Beyond the Bright Sea by Lauren Wolk

Beyond the Bright Sea (edition 2017)

by Lauren Wolk (Author)

Info:Dutton Books for Young Readers (2017), 304 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Middle Grade

Beyond the Bright Sea by Lauren Wolk

I listened to the audiobook version of this book and I'm sure it has negatively impacted my enjoyment of the book. Lauren Walk is an excellent writer, but the actor read the book in such a slow, solemn way that I just wanted to speed it up to chipmunk mode. I kept thinking that no kid is this slow and deliberate in their thoughts, even in the 1920s. The actor made her sound like an adult. It didn't help that I also listened to the audiobook version of Wolf Hollow and it was read by the same actor. Consequently, the two narrators sounded like the same person and I didn't like that. I'll continue to read Lauren Wolk, but I'm done with the audiobooks.

What I loved the most about the book was learning about the Elizabeth islands off the coast of Massachusetts. I had no idea such islands existed. Wolk choose to focus on the leper colony that was established on one of the islands by the U.S. government in the early 1900s. The story is about a girl named Crow who lives on Cunnyhunk island with a quiet old man who raised her from infancy when she washed ashore in a skiff 11 years prior. She begins to wonder about her origins and a possible connection to the leper colony. Although the colony no longer exists, she begins to investigate the history of the colony and whether a baby could have been born there who was set adrift in a boat.

Not having read the book, I don't have a proper feel for whether kids will take to it, so therefore I will pass on this one. I can recommend Wolk's book [b: Wolf Hollow|26026063|Wolf Hollow|Lauren Wolk|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1485977210s/26026063.jpg|43346512] for it's excellent example of bullying and war veteran homelessness.

valorrmac | Sep 21, 2018 |
This book is about a young girl who hopes to find more about where she came from and who she is.
  chn3 | Aug 13, 2018 |
“I began to pull on the loose threads in my life and everything began to unravel, a seam opened up and let in some light, which helped me see my life more clearly, but is also made me want to close my eyes sometimes instead” (13)

Reading Lauren Wolk’s beautiful story, you understand the primal need to know where you come from . . . especially when you don’t. Wolk takes us on Crow’s heart-wrenching search as she finds out who she is and where she came from.

I read this in one sitting as I couldn’t put it down. Though the story was set in 1925 on an island off Martha’s Vineyard, the story is timeless and I wasn’t thinking about the era except for when they went off the island. Beyond the Bright Sea will appeal to those well beyond the “young readers” age it was intended for. I think it will hold special poignancy for those whose own lives have been enriched through adoption, and may help others understand the depths a mother will go to, to ensure a better life for her child. ( )
  Lindsay_W | Jul 19, 2018 |
excellent for gr. 5-8 ( )
  sgrame | Apr 4, 2018 |
Crow was set adrift in a small skiff when she was only hours old. Osh, a hermitic man, finds her and takes her into his isolated hut in the Elizabeth Islands near Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts and raises her as his daughter with the help of local resident, Miss Maggie and a cat called Mouse.

Osh made his way north from his southern home because things were getting bad, leaving whatever family he had. Over time, he tries to forget his past. However, Crow’s past is unknown and as she grows she wants to know where she came from, especially whether she came from nearby Penikese Island, a former leper colony. The townspeople assume that was her heritage and keep their distance although Crow has shown no sign of the disease.

Lauren Wolk, author of the Newbery Award winning Wolf Hollow, has written an adventurous coming of age, “family isn’t necessarily biological” story that keeps readers attention from the first page, which starts “I’ll never know for sure when I was born. Not exactly.”

In telling Crow’s story in Beyond the Bright Sea, Wolk weaves in some of the history and folklore surrounding Penikese and other of the Elizabeth Islands, especially rumors of buried treasure. However, it is the stories of Crow, Osh and Maggie and their relationships that make Beyond the Bright Sea a beautiful book. Taking place in the 1920s, readers also get a flavor of life in the remote islands and also in ‘bustling New Bedford’, only miles away geographically but light years away in life style.

Beyond the Bright Sea is a heartwarming story. Even if you’re not much of a middle grade reader (which I’m not), it is worth reading. An excellent book. ( )
  EdGoldberg | Nov 28, 2017 |
For my father, who first took me to sea
The Elizabeth Islands, off the coast of Woods Hole, Massachusetts. 1925.
Prologue: My name is Crow.
I'll never know for sure when I was born.
When this pair [dolphins] cut away for open water, they leaped in tandem, again and again, like colts in a blue meadow. (p. 58)
"You can learn things from other people, and you can learn things by keeping your eyes open. But you can learn things from your own self, too. From what your gut tells you. If you pay attention to it," he said. (p. 88)

Set adrift on the ocean in a small skiff as a newborn, twelve-year-old Crow embarks on a quest to find the missing pieces of her history.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,552,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible