dismiss

Rowan by Anne McCaffrey

Rowan (original 1990; edition 1991)

by Anne McCaffrey

Told in the timeless style of Anne McCaffrey, The Rowan is the first installment in a wonderful trilogy. This is sci-fi at its best: a contemporary love story as well as an engrossing view of our world in the future. The kinetically gifted, trained in mind/machine gestalt, are the most valued citizens of the Nine Star League. Using mental powers alone, these few Prime Talents transport ships, cargo and people between Earth's Moon, Mars' Demos and Jupiter's Callisto. An orphaned young girl, simply called The Rowan, is discovered to have superior telepathic potential and is trained to become Prime Talent on Callisto. After years of self-sacrificing dedication to her position, The Rowan intercepts an urgent mental call from Jeff Raven, a young Prime Talent on distant Deneb. She convinces the other Primes to merge their powers with hers to help fight off an attack by invading aliens.… (more)
Member:dennymeta
Title:Rowan
Authors:Anne McCaffrey
Info:Corgi (1991), Edition: 1St Edition, Paperback, 320 pages

The Rowan by Anne McCaffrey (1990)

To read more reviews in this series and others, check out my blog keikii eats books!

97 points, 5 STARS!

Quote:
Instead, she had gone from one lonely tower to another. Yegrani’s ‘long and lonely road’ had been before her a long and lonely time.
Review:
I absolutely loved reading The Rowan. It was like this book was specifically created to hit all of my "Oh my god, I love it!" buttons. It is slow paced, taking the reader through the life of The Rowan. Perhaps a bit slower than some readers might wish McCaffrey to go, even. Yet I loved the pace, and I loved watching The Rowan grow up.

This is the start of a spinoff from McCaffrey's The Talents series, several generations removed from the characters in those books, so it isn't necessary to read The Talent before reading this (and I wouldn't even recommend that you do). I'd guess at the very least seven generations have passed, if not more. Mankind has found a way to colonize space. And the only way they could do that was through the help of extremely talented Prime telekinetics and telepaths who work tirelessly to shift people and supplies and send messages across the galaxy.

Enter The Rowan. She was found as a toddler because she kept sending a distress signal to an entire planet. Her family all dead, she grew up a ward of the planet for the good of FT&T, who are the organization that employs the Primes. The Rowan is extremely powerful from an unbelievably young age. She grew up knowing she would be a Prime, and she grew up with everyone else knowing she would be a Prime. Which means that she was training to work even as a young kid. That is all she ever really does is work and study, even from as young as nine years old, except for some short vacations.

We follow The Rowan as she grows up. She is so incredibly lonely. It is heartbreaking. She works and she works and she works, because she doesn't really have any peers. Everyone around her is an underling, they all answer to her. And then midway through the book, she gets trapped on a Callisto, one of Jupiter's moons for Story Reasons, which makes The Rowan even more lonely. Because she doesn't have anyone and can't go anywhere. It breaks my heart.

Until a colony planet, Deneb, is attacked by aliens and is requesting help from Earth Prime. Only, Deneb got The Rowan, instead. Which is the start to not only an amazing story, but a beautiful relationship as well when Deneb turns out to be a newly awakened Prime worthy of being with The Rowan.

I absolutely adored this book, and I honestly would consider rereading it at some point in the future. It just felt so right. ( )
  keikii | Jan 23, 2020 |
What a weird book. I kind of loved it? Scifi romance with telepathy. The pregnancy stuff was weird, though. ( )
  tronella | Jun 22, 2019 |
Rowan was destined to become the greatest Prime Talent in human history, facing a life of lonely servitude. Then she receives a telepathic plea for help from across the stars from a Prime named Jeff Raven and falls in love with him.
  Gmomaj | Jun 8, 2019 |
A romance novel disguised as science fiction. Part 1 is mostly okay; after that it's fairly nauseating. ( )
  chaosfox | Feb 22, 2019 |
The Rowan was the sole survivor of a mudslide and she was found because she was a strong telepath. When she grew up she used her mental powers to send cargo loads between the inhabited planets. However, her talents also distanced her from ordinary people. Then a voice appeared in her mind and it was that of a male telepath (Jeff Raven) whose planet was threatened. The Rowan helped Jeff to save his planet and then fell in love with him.

It's an excellent story of what could happen if psychic powers really do exist. ( )
  gypsysmom | Oct 31, 2018 |
La Rowane est à mon sens l'un des meilleurs romans du cycle des Doués. Après les deux premiers, très intéressants mais un peu décousus, on a ici une histoire certes très conventionnelle, mais pleine de fougue, à l'image de son héroïne. C'est de la SF sympathique, très space-opera, typique des années 50/60 ou des Perry Rhodan. A l'inverse des romans suivants qui se diluent un peu, celui-là nous offre de bonnes heures de lecture "détente", légères, avec des personnages proches de nous, comme McCaffrey sait si bien les faire...

Anne McCaffreyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kukalis, RomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stromberg, MikeCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

Is an expanded version of

Respectfully dedicated to
Jay A. Katz
because we enjoy a meeting of the minds
(well, most of the time)
Torrents of rain covered the western side of the great Tranh mountain range of Altair, streaming in muddy runnels down slopes already saturated with nine days of steady precipitation.
Carrie lists for The Rowan and Pegasus in Space somehow got mangled together.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,625,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible