Shattered: A Novel (Max Revere Novels) by…

Shattered: A Novel (Max Revere Novels)

by Allison Brennan

I did know before I started to read this book that it was the latest book in the Max Revere series. What I did not know that this was a crossover with Allison Brennan's series about Lucy Kincaid. So, this was not a book in one series I haven't read before, it was a new book in two series that I had never read before. That was new for me (at least I think so). But, to be honest, I didn't worry so much about that. Most series are often easy to get into. As long as one starts to get the hang of who is who. And, the only real problem I had was in the beginning when the Kincaid family was introduced, and boy, they were many. But, after a while, I did get the whole picture thanks to Max Revere learning more herself about the Kincaids.

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
Over a span of twenty years, four boys have been kidnapped from their bedrooms, suffocated, and buried nearby in a shallow grave. Serial killer or coincidence? Justin Stanton was killed twenty years ago, and his father wants closure--so he is willing to help Max with her investigation on one condition: that she work with his former sister-in-law--Justin's aunt, FBI Agent Lucy Kincaid. ( )
  lrobe190 | Mar 21, 2019 |
One of the more memorable books of 2017!

Allison Brennan really knows how to weave a tight story. In Shattered, FBI rookie Lucy Kincaid and Investigative reporter Max Revere team up for a wild ride. What really sticks out to me is the depth and reality of these two characters. Their pasts, personalities, and the internal motivations are truly remarkable. The investigation and plot were just as good in this thriller. My first Allison Brennan book, but definitely not my last! ( )
  BenjaminThomas | Mar 16, 2018 |
When the police charge his wife with the murder of their son, Peter, a friend asks reporter Maxine Revere for help. Certain that his wife, Blair, is innocent, John tells Max about three similar cases, all unsolved murders of young boys. Max, who has a reputation for solving cold cases, is intrigued even though the first case, a seven-year-old boy named Justin, occurred some twenty years ago.

Max contacts Justin’s father, Andrew Stanton, who agrees to help. However, concerned about the media exploiting Justin’s murder, the Kincaid family does not want the case reopened. They are convinced that any further investigation into the boy’s murder, even after so many years, would cause Justin’s mother, Nelia, too much pain.

But when FBI agent Lucy Kincaid hears Max’s evidence, she agrees to help, unaware that the truth could cost her everything.

Although this book works extremely well as a stand-alone, anyone familiar with the Max and Lucy stories should find this narrative especially appealing. Unexpected reveals offer insights into the characters and the events of the past, giving readers a riveting tale guaranteed to keep those pages turning.

With strong, much-loved characters, nail-biting, edge-of-your-seat suspense, and a twisted plot replete with seriously ominous undertones, readers are likely to find this narrative completely unputdownable.

Highly recommended. ( )
  jfe16 | Sep 28, 2017 |
Maxine "Max" Revere is a talented investigative reporter. That's why red flags went up when a former boyfriend calls here to tell her his wife is on trial for killing their son & everyone is missing the other similar crimes. He's positive it's the work of a serial killer. As Max starts to look into the prior crimes, she hits a roadblock. The father of the presumed first victim, DA Andrew Stanton, told her his ex-wife's family would stall & block her investigation unless she convinced Lucy Kincaid Rogan that her theories were on the up & up. Lucy is Andrew's ex-sister-in-law.

Rookie FBI Agent Lucy Kincaid Rogan isn't sure what to believe. Is Max just trying to sensationalize her cousins death or does she really have a lead? Why is the family overreacting the way they are? Lucy is tired of always being concerned someone might figure out what happened to her. If she can figure out who killed Justin, that's a good thing. She isn't sure about Max's motives so she decides to stay close.

Allison Brennan has two wonderful series & has managed to come up with the perfect cross over story to bring them together. At first I didn't think the personalities of the main characters, Max & Lucy would work together. They were both too much alike - strong, independent, aggressive, intelligent, used to being in charge. Max wasn't used to having her hands tied or her integrity questioned. Lucy didn't trust Max or her motives. She had to give her credit though. Max knew what she was doing & had researchers behind her finding the information she needs. I ended up admiring them as a team. They each knew their own strengths & what they brought to the table.

The action is fast paced & riveting. The plot grabs your attention & through twists & turns keeps you on the edge of your seat. The tension between Max & Lucy adds to the drama without detracting from the facts. The tension between Lucy & her family is new & ramps up the stakes of the case. I really enjoyed this story & hope Max & Lucy end up working together again. ( )
  Pam50627 | Aug 14, 2017 |

"Over a span of twenty years, four boys have been kidnapped from their bedrooms, suffocated, and buried nearby in a shallow grave. Serial killer or coincidence? That's the question investigative reporter Maxine Revere sets out to answer when an old friend begs her to help exonerate his wife, who has been charged with their son's recent murder. But Max can do little to help because the police and D.A. won't talk to her--they think they have the right woman. Instead, Max turns her attention to three similar cold cases. If she can solve them, she might be able to help her friend. Justin Stanton was killed twenty years ago, and his father wants closure--so he is willing to help Max with her investigation on one condition: that she work with his former sister-in-law--Justin's aunt, FBI Agent Lucy Kincaid. Trouble is, Max works alone, and she's livid that her only access to the case files, lead detective and witnesses depends on her partnering with a federal agent on vacation. She wants the career-making story almost as much as the truth--but if she gets this wrong, she could lose everything. Haunted by Justin's death for years, Lucy yearns to give her family--and herself--the closure they need. More important, she wants to catch a killer. Lucy finds Max's theory on all three cases compelling--with Max's research added to Lucy's training and experience, Lucy believes they can find the killer so justice can finally be served"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,430,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible