They Thirst by Robert McCammon

They Thirst (original 1981; edition 1988)

by Robert McCammon

6011525,044 (3.79)1 / 13
Member:morbusiff
Title:They Thirst
Authors:Robert McCammon
Info:Pocket (1988), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:horror

They Thirst by Robert R. McCammon (1981)

Reading this book was like time travelling back to the 1970s. I loved every second of it. The vampires are the powerful bloodsuckers with delusions of taking over the world. The ordinary people in the story have no cell phones or means of instant communication. They have no recourse when they are faced with a nonresponse at the end of a telephone ringing and no one to answer. There isn't even a machine to take a message. Much scarier world back then.

They actually say things like "Oh, he got a color tv and he thinks that the government is taking over his brain waves."

A color tv. As opposed to buying a black and white tv.

The police use one of those giant tape recorders when interviewing subjects. The reporters write out their reports on a Smith Corona typewriter. Sit-coms, silk shirts, gold chains and DISCOS!

When I grabbed the book from my digital library I had no idea that it had a first publish date of 1981, so it was clearly written in the late '70s. If people ever want to know about what life was like in the 1970s, they can read this book.

It's a great book for a vampire book from that period. It's seriously classic. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
Purtroppo la storia di questo libro non mi ha preso per nulla... infarcito di centinaia di pagine assolutamente inutili che nn donano nulla al racconto..... e dire che solo le prime 30 pagine valgono almeno 4 stelle!!! ( )
  Mandane75 | Nov 16, 2018 |
  Mandane75 | Nov 16, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this. It was nice to have vampires be just straight evil. I picked up the audio book of this and the narrator, Ray Porter, did an amazing job. This is the first book I have read by Mccammon and I look forward to reading more. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
Amazing book that has stayed with me, even years later. Wish this were still in print; wish even more for a Kindle version. I loved Salem's Lot by Stephen King, but honestly think that "They Thirst " was better! ( )
  glindaharrison | Oct 19, 2015 |

Robert R. McCammonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Morrill, RowenaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was midnight in Topanga
I heard the DJ say
"There's a full moon rising
Join me in L.A...."
—Warren Zevon
I'd kill for love
As sure as there's a God above
—Rory Black
Shadows shifting everywhere;
Very thin and very tall,
Moving, mingling on the wall,
Till they make one Shadow all
—Augustus Julian Requier
FOR SALLY, WHO HELPED ME REACH
Tonight there were demons in the hearth.

An abandoned castle looms over Hollywood. Built in Hollywood’s golden age for a horror actor with Gothic taste, it has taken on a sinister appearance ever since the owner’s brutal murder eleven years ago. No living thing dwells there, but an undead tenant has recently taken up residence. A bloodsucker with ambition, Prince Vulkan dreams of a world populated by vampires alone.

A spike in disappearances and grave robbing arouse the suspicion of a local detective, who cannot imagine what someone would want with dozens of stolen coffins. As he works to unravel the mystery, time is running out to save the city—and the planet—from undead domination.

In the tiny Hungarian hamlet of Krajeck, nine-year-old Andre Palatazin awaits the return of his father from an unspecified--but clearly dangerous--mission. The man who finally returns is no longer Andre's father--is no longer, in fact, a man. Pursued by this undead entity, Andre and his mother barely escape with their lives. Decades later, Andre--now Andy--Palatazin is a homicide detective in the Los Angeles Police Department, and spends his days dealing with the quotidian terrors of a large metropolis. His life takes a darker turn when the demonic forces he first encountered in Krajeck arrive in L.A., led by an ancient vampire known as The Master. The Master's plan: to overrun the city and use it as a stepping-stone toward wider, ultimately global, domination.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,490,796 books! | Top bar: Always visible