dismiss

Big Fish by Daniel Wallace

Big Fish (edition 2004)

by Daniel Wallace

Now that his father is dying, William Bloom realizes he hardly knows him, but the father is more interested in evading his questions than answering them. So Bloom reconstructs his father's life with a series of heroic tales and in the process gets to know him.
Member:evareads
Title:Big Fish
Authors:Daniel Wallace
Info:Pocket Books (2004), Paperback
Tags:fantasy

Big Fish: A Novel of Mythic Proportions by Daniel Wallace

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons (msouliere)
    Swamplandia! by Karen Russell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For infuriating fathers.
    Ray in Reverse by Daniel Wallace (DeDeNoel)
    DeDeNoel: Considered second in the trilogy that is Big Fish, Ray in Reverse and Watermelon King.

English (52)  Italian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (54)
This was such a sweet book in so many ways. First, it immediately called to mind a favorite childhood book of mine, [b:Tall Tales of America|7543710|Tall Tales of America|Irwin Shapiro|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/book/50x75-a91bf249278a81aabab721ef782c4a74.png|9820416]. Yup, Wallace has written a novel jam packed full of one tall tale after another. And the jokes - oh my! But in and around all of that is a son's love for his dying father. I lost my own mother just this past Thanksgiving, so that is still freshly raw, and I found comfort in "Big Fish." ( )
  Phyllis.Mann | Mar 18, 2020 |
I was thinking of movies that I have loved and wondered what ones might have been inspired by books that I was unaware of. I quickly thought of Big Fish and decided to listen to it.

If you are unfamiliar with this book, it is basically a tall tale. The film was full of whimsy; it followed the book very well. I have enjoyed both. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Mar 4, 2020 |
I loved the movie so had to read the book when I saw it at the library but was very disappointed. I didn't like the father at all and I found the writing very sparse. ( )
  wrightja2000 | Sep 6, 2018 |
The film adaptation of Big Fish is a favourite of mine, and I’ve been meaning to read the book for ages. For me though...the film is better. The book is very touching and has some wonderful stories and imagery. The writing is lovely, and if I took each story as a stand-alone then there was a lot to like. But I felt it could have gone so much deeper into what made Edward Bloom do the things he did and live such a split life. I just wanted more, but what I got was a series of toe dips which were too disjointed to make me feel much. I was left wondering what was so special about this man, because to me he just came across as a crap husband, terrible father, and not all that wonderful at all, actually. But maybe that was the point - his son had built him into a mythical being, because the reality was just so mundane and disappointing. ( )
  SadieBabie | Jun 23, 2018 |
I wanted this book to be a novel of mythic proportions but it instead felt like a bunch of short stories with one shared character keeping it all together. I think, if anything, props to whoever it was who made the movie because they took such small scenes that weren't too entirely vivid and turned them into something unforgettable. This is one of those rare instances when I say that I ultimately enjoyed the movie more than the book. The movie left a lasting impression on me whereas I can't really say that for this book. Still a decent story, but it fell short. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Jun 2, 2018 |

Has the adaptation

For my mother
~
In memory of my father
On one of our last car trips, near the end of my father's life as a man, we stopped by a river, and we took a walk to its banks, where we sat in the shade of an old oak tree.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,649,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible