King's Captive

by Amber Bardan

For three years, I've belonged to Julius King.  Some people would think being stuck on a private island is heaven, but this is my hell.   Because I'm not here as a guest. Not even close. I'm a prisoner. I'm his.  Julius King. Powerful. Wealthy. Dangerous.  There are parts of me he wants that I can't give him. When he looks at me, there are times I swear he sees someone else. And the scary part is that sometimes, when he touches me, I think he may be someone else, too.  Though my body might be tempted, and he might control everything else, I can't let him have any piece of my heart. I won't. But every day, the fight gets harder, and Julius manages to slip past my defenses in the most unexpected ways.   I have to find out the truth about Julius King. Even if it destroys me.     This book is approximately 81,000 words    One-click with confidence. This title is part of the Carina Press Romance Promise: all the romance you're looking for with an HEA/HFN. It's a promise!… (more)

I really enjoyed it. This is the first book I have read by this author. It is difficult to say too much about the plot as it would give things away, things are revealed slowly with each chapter. Sarah is on an island with a man named Julius King, who is involved in criminal activities. She is not there by choice, the circumstances are revealed but by bit as you read each chapter. There are business associates who visit the island but no-one will help her and even if someone offered she would struggle as she doesn't trust anyone.
I didn't think the plot was obvious, kept the mystery going, I would have liked a longer epilogue but I did like that you occasionally got Julius's POV. ( )
  izzied | Oct 29, 2020 |
I'm not sure. ^^^ To answer the goodreads question...

The writing was on point.

For most who loves a crazy twist, you'll love it.

For me, I was stabby for 53% of the book because "WTH is going on"
The next 47% far less stabby "Ah I see where this is going"
The epilogue "Well, okay then"

This book has taught me a couple of things: I want a Julius to touch me like that no matter how much I should hate him. Next, Jamie and Nikki cannot be trusted. Last, yes everyone deserves the T-shirt.

Smart writing, entertaining ride. ( )
  karenhulseman | Dec 3, 2019 |
4.5 Stars
ARC provided in exchange for an honest review.

Sarah's life changed forever on her eighteenth birthday, marred by gun shots, blood, and the loss of everyone she cares for, she thinks on her past as she lives as a captive on a beautiful island. Julius King is the man who ruined it all and she's just biding time to escape from him, despite the affection he shows her daily. Her emotions, however, leave her confused, both hating and admiring him for all he does. The only thing she holds tight to are her father's last words and the hope that she soon will be free.

My eyes close for an instant. His kiss is deceptively warm, but then, hell is warm, no surprise the devil should be too.

From the very first page I was trapped in this book, unable to get away from the slightly creepy, very twisted Stockholm Syndrome that main character, Sarah, suffers from. The story starts out very dark, bringing readers into a past that's tinged with blood and despair, before taking them into the future where the sun shines, the island life is beautiful, and Sarah is questionably satisfied with life, although still seeking salvation. Reading from her perspective is what ultimately made this novel so good, because (without giving away any plot) it is very apparent her sanity is merely hanging by a thread. Then there's Julius King, this man that Sarah speaks so highly of, who she admires, but also hates so deeply. He loves her and cares for her, that much is apparent, but their ties together are not positive. The romance between the young woman and the dark, brooding Julius is enticing, even with the threat of captivity forever hanging over Sarah's head.

I never know what I want more, to pull her apart piece by piece or beg her to put me back together.

The entire book is built on emotions, the true events are secondary. I generally had to remind myself that things were not as they seemed through the entire novel, but that made it all the better for me. What was a darker, contemporary story took on a thriller vibe, because of the high-stakes emotions that both Sarah and Julius allowed to rule their day to day lives. While the story line is a well known one, the big reveal is what makes King's Captive unique. Amber Bardan takes readers on a journey through the past and present, all while never giving away who the characters really are and what is truly going on. The big reveal was confusing for me at first, something I had to read multiple times to understand, but once it clicks, oh it is good. Even better, though, are the constant twists that the story takes, leading readers on a white rabbit chase.

Hate him. But hate is passion-a bitter kind of love. Obsession

King's Captive is an intriguing romance, built on mystery and darkness, and one that readers will find holds their attention from beginning to end. The story is explosive, the writing incredibly descriptive, and the promised HEA is all that and more. ( )
  CarleneInspired | Jun 14, 2019 |
The King's Captive is a stand alone and the most latest release from this author. Now I wasn't sure what I thought of this book, however after reading some positive reviews, they convinced me that I needed this book in my life. So this story takes us into a love story that is exciting, edgy, epic and emotionally driven that it will put the reader to tears. This story is not what you expect AT ALL and wow this author really surprises you. I mean honestly, there were so many unique twists to this story that you don't see coming. I don't want to reveal too much about this story which is why my layout for review is a bit different. Our heroine is scared but also drawn to her "captor" who she promised three years to if she agreed to marry him at the end of those three years. It almost toward the end of those three years where she will have to hold up to her promise. But not everything is as it seems including King's intentions toward her. At first we view him as a sort of villain, and there are flashbacks so at first you have a 'sketchy' feel to his character. You aren't sure where you stand on his character. However you slowly see how much he truly loves her. Despite how many times she lies to him or deceives him or breaks her promises, he never loses faith in his love and devotion to her. And when you find out the real truth, you sympathize with him. Our hero has been through hell and back, and he may seem all bad in the beginning, but the reader realizes that he is a hero you can get behind. Its a story of love and loss, of true devotion and commitment and even though there are some things that the characters take action on....you can't resist the pull of their love story and seeing them connect and find their HEA in the end. I was completely pulled in by this book, and I can tell you that this author is rare talent in creating a story you will fall head over heels for!!! The mixture of emotions that impacts the reader is stimulating and vivid and wrung me like a dish towel in heart wrenching ways but also in empowering and memorable moments. Definitely a book you don't want to miss out on. A SUPERB ROMANCE ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 19, 2019 |
OMG what did I just read! Normally I can kind of figure out where a book is headed while reading it. Not this book. This book...total PLOT TWIST you don't see coming. She left me speechless and I loved it! ( )
  bookworm0207 | Jun 3, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,235,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible