Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The King Who Rained by Fred Gwynne

The King Who Rained

by Fred Gwynne

In this funny play on words book children can stud and understand that some book have multiple and sometimes silly meanings depending on the sentence it's used in. It points out the funny problems with the english language and allows both reader and listener to have a conversation about other words they might be confused about. ( )
  MadiBorchardt | Feb 25, 2018 |
This was a classic when we were growing up. I wish it was still in print so we could get it in our library. ( )
  mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |
This book is fun to teach idioms, homophones, and figurative language. Some of the references seem a bit inappropriate, such as "head of Beer." Also, there is no real plot or story. I liked some of the examples but I think there are better stories. The illustrations are fun and silly.

Critique of Genere- This is a fantasy
Age- 2nd- 4th grade
media- Watercolor ( )
  Lhayden4 | Apr 14, 2017 |
This book is fantasy fiction. Confused by the different meanings of words that sound alike, a little girl imagines such unusual sights as "a king who rained" and "the foot prince in the snow." This is a good book that will show kids that some words have more than one meaning. ( )
  sdg292 | Oct 20, 2015 |
I'd use this with young children to reinforce the concept that words have multiple meanings, there are homonyms, and that spelling is important. Will do so with a chuckle. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,474,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible