Once Upon a Summer Night: Mists of Fate - Book Three

by Nancy Scanlon

861,808,658 (4)None
Colin O'Rourke is expanding his matchmaking business, Celtic Connections, however a slanderous gossip columnist publishes an article that could ruin his company. Eleanor Carberry is a successful bookdrop owner whose aunt convinces her to be Celtic Connections first customer. Colin's family secrets tie him to the past, can he and Ellie make it work?… (more)

I hadn't read the first two books so I wasn't sure what I was in for, but it sounded pretty good. I love reading books set in Ireland and Scotland so I jumped at the chance to read this. Not only is the setting right up my alley but so is the time travel aspect of the story. Needless to say, I LOVED this book. In fact, when I finished it, I grabbed the first two in the series. That being said, I had no trouble reading it as a standalone.
I completely fell in love with every character in this book and I truly hope Ms. Scanlon continues with the stories of the secondary characters (REILLY!!). This book will capture your imagination and not let go. (I read it in one sitting.)
The story takes you from Boston to Ireland to London and beyond. It's engaging, absorbing and flows perfectly. I didn't want it to end, that's why I grabbed the first two books!
The characters are well developed and well written. Aiden and Reilly are hilarious. I have to say, I did beat Ellie in falling in love with Colin because well, what's not to love about tall, blonde, and incredibly gorgeous. And he's a protector to boot. And smart. And filthy rich. See!?!

I received a copy from the publisher via netgalley for my honest review. ( )
  HistoricalJunkie | Sep 17, 2019 |
Summary
Colin O'Rourke is one of the fated time traveling protectors, he was born to be one and will die as a protector. Colin has always known that there is only one woman fated to be his true mate. But has mixed feelings knowing the kind of life he has to live and that she would have to live as well. But he also understands the dangers of denying or refusing what is meant to be. Colin is also running a high end matchmaking business. But when there is slander and gossip surrounding the company, Colin will have to take a risk. The columnist behind the gossip is against Colin spreading the company from the States to Ireland and the rest of the UK. In return for her shutting down the negative commentary about his company, he will need to match make her great niece. But when he realizes that she is his mate, he will have to decide if she is worth the risk...
The Hero
Colin O'Rourke has made his share of mistakes especially when it came to spiting the fates and their will. He had to bear his punishment if he wanted to live. Now that he has succeeded, he also knows the consequences of not heeding their call. He is determined to make sure that no one is hurt because of his actions. Colin was born a protector of the family line of time travelers, and it is a life bound duty. Colin sticks with women that want no strings attached. He wants to be free and not burden another woman with his burden. But when he meets Ellie, he knows that she is his mate but refuses to claim her. He knows that the life he could give her would be hard to bear, being the mate of a time traveler protector is difficult and challenging and he wants more for Ellie than what he has to offer. I did like Colin quite a bit, but his stubbornness and the way he kept rejecting Ellie was painful and even though I understood some of his reasons, I didn't get why he kept trying to hurt her even though it wasn't intentional.
The Heroine
Ellie has always felt clumsy and awkward, and has never quite fit in. She feels at home with her books and a good cup of tea. She has paved her way into the making of a bookstore and loves sharing books with others. But it can also be very lonely. She was burned when a man that was titled, ruined her reputation through scandal and she hid away for years from it. But when her aunt convinces her to try out this match making service, she agrees if only to make her aunt (her only living relative and family) happy. But from the moment she meets Colin, she feels a chemistry and a connection she never imagined. I truly adore Ellie, she is so easy to relate with. She loves books and doesn't fit in as easily with others and she was such a strong yet sweet character that had so many endearing qualities. She fights for Colin when she realizes how powerful what they have is.
I don't understand your fear. I know your heart, Colin, because it's a part of mine! I accept who and what you are.
I truly admired her passion and zest and determination to not back down.
Plot and Story Line
Once Upon A Summer Night was a delectable read and once again I fell in love with this talent, this wonderful author keeps captivating me with her stories and I stayed up all night reading this one. I just didn't want to put it down and Nancy Scanlon writes enchanting time travel romances and she keeps making me fall in love with her characters and the adventures they have. Now this book has two settings....the first part of the story begins in the modern era. Colin has traveled to Ireland to set up his office for the extension of his business and this is where Colin and Ellie meet. Now at first, they don't know each other and have no idea of what will bring them together but they share a unique moment that sets the stage for their story.
She wanted this complicated, amazing, beautiful man to trust her. Want her. Love her
Then we see them working together, which was quite fun. Colin is determined to set her up with the perfect man even if he knows she is his mate but chooses not to try to court or date her at all because of some inner demons he struggles with. But then Ellie and her friend get lost in the woods, and find themselves traveled back 500 years in Ireland. Where they meet up with some of Colin's family, The family of our first couple which was so exciting to see their children and most especially their one daughter who I have a feeling will be a heroine in a future book in the series (I hope). Colin goes back in time after her, and some pivotal moments occur that deepen the relationship that is between Colin and Ellie. But also some painful moments happen as well. But I felt like this changed the relationship---for the better.
You're not just my soul mate, Eleanor Carberry. You're the other half of my heart.
It forces Colin to face his inner demons and realize what he would be giving up if he gives up Ellie. A truly heart warming romance that gives you a breath of fresh air. Not one to miss out on especially if you love time traveling romances or are intrigued by it!!
The Cover
I really love the summer feel to this book, with the soft yet golden colors and I do like the colors of his attire---its not a kilt, I can't remember what the Irish called it back then but quite yummy looking on this model. And doesn't the backdrop make you want to take a plane to Ireland right now?? I know I do.
Overall View
Once Upon A Summer Night is an enchanting love tale of adventures through time, discovering love and also fighting to keep to....the endearing characters that worm their way into your heart and a powerfully written story that keeps the reader enthralled!! MEMORABLE! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 23, 2019 |
Review to come ( )
  CelticBookDragon | Apr 12, 2017 |
Once Upon a Summer Night by Nancy Scanlon
Mists of Fate #3

Colin O’Rourke is a time traveler. He is also wants to expand his matchmaking business to Europe. With a gossip journalist blackmailing him with bad press if he does not find her niece the “perfect match” he sets out to do just that only to find that perhaps HE is the match to be found. With his job as a family protector weighing heavy on his shoulders he finds himself in conflict trying to figure out whether or not to follow his heart or meet his family obligation…is it possible to do both? There is some time travel, some romance, some violence and some characters from previous books make an appearance while others appear that may show up in future books of the series.

Thank you to NetGalley and Diversion Books for the ARC – this is my honest review.

3 Stars ( )
  CathyGeha | Apr 10, 2017 |
This was a fun book. I am kind of partial to time travel romances. I guess I like the idea of imagining what it would be like to suddenly be thrust into an entirely unknown situation and trying to figure out what to do. I was really in the mood to read a time travel romance so I decided to pick up this book and I am glad that I did.

This is the third book in the Mists of Fate series and it read just fine as a stand alone even though I think I would have liked it a bit more if I had been more familiar with some of the characters. I definitely want to go back and read the first two books in this series so that I can see how things worked out for the other couples.

This book features Colin and Eleanor, or Ellie, and starts out in the modern time period. Colin runs a matchmaking business, Celtic Connections, and Ellie's aunt wants Colin to personally find her a match. Ellie and Colin have already met and the chemistry between them was intense right from the start. I had a lot of fun watching this pair together. Colin tried to suppress his feelings and Ellie went on the dates that were set up for her but they always seemed to come alive when they were with each other.

It did take this book a long time to get to any time traveling. It was fun once it happened and a lot of exciting things occurred while they were in the past. This was definitely what I would call a sweet romance. If you are looking for a romance with a lot of heat, this one may not be the right choice because kissing is about as steamy as this one will get. I enjoy this kind of sweet romance that really makes you see the main characters get their happily ever after.

I would recommend this book to fans of time travel romance. This was really a heartwarming romance that had a lot going for it. This is the first book by Nancy Scanlon that I have read but I definitely hope to read more of her work in the near future.

I received an advance reader edition of this book from Diversion Books via NetGalley. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Mar 31, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,586,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible