Lockdown by Laurie R. King

Lockdown

by Laurie R. King

No tags.

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This really isn't a bad review. But for some reason I just could not get into this book. Really do enjoy her Martinellie series. ( )
  cindysprocket | Jun 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Ms. King knows how to weave a tale complete with red herrings and dead ends. There is a curious contrast of types of violence - the kind that comes out of a deep seated need for justice, and the kind that stems from pride and selfishness and delusion. And there is a lovely tale of a school coming together - becoming a family that looks out for each other. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jun 20, 2017 |
In LOCKDOWN, the title alone is enough to send a shudder through anyone having a school age child, or any in the employ within a school setting, or through those who work as first-responders. And the rest of us too. As the book cover states, it's "A NOVEL OF SUSPENSE" and it doesn't fail to deliver. With a lengthy cast of characters on a single opening page that acts as a prologue -- or pointer as to where the story is heading -- the list presented is the school psychologist's notes to be turned over to the local police. The list names the staff of Guadalupe (a middle school) and a half-dozen of its students, plus one volunteer and a "Career Day" guest speaker. Put aside any worry about keeping all these players straight because the plotting is so skillfully structured in parts (8), not chapters, that the players, many appearing in numerous parts, add to the novel's excellent pacing. Within the parts each character's name is given at the top of a page, making a reader privy to individual thoughts and traits. As for the school's staff and its volunteer on the list, being adults with unique life experiences, each adult's back-story adroitly unfolds. And as each Guadalupe student's part is intermingled, tensions build. All advances to "Career Day" when what's revealed holds an unexpected turn of events.

When the big day arrives, the school principal, Linda, reminds herself that "your purpose is to show how things tie together." Then, "A school is a tapestry of threads, she began." It's now repeated on quite a few pages in the thoughts of other characters (her students) in the assembly -- though not overdone, the interweaving of threads into a tapestry becomes the novel's overarching theme.

One minor nettle, when given a written assignment on their "Dream Job" a few students do seem a bit above middle school level in their essay. Minor and easy to let slide since all else comes together so perfectly. With a well-crafted plot, and both young and adult richly-drawn characters, LOCKDOWN, is a novel that hooks its reader in so many ways right up to its fascinating and praiseworthy end. And, in my humble opinion, it's one of Laurie R. King's best. ( )
  PaperDollLady | Jun 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This novel was full of suspense. I really liked the way it was organized into chapters by person which added to the intrigue. At one point I was afraid that it was not going to live up to its promise, but most of the story lines came together in a very satisfying way. I would have liked more development of the Erasmus character. It felt like that part of the story was dropped and I wondered if he had appeared in any previous novels. As it was, that story line felt either superfluous or unfinished. Still, a very good read. ( )
  brookeott | Jun 17, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am not one who likes to write a typical review. Those written before me do a very nice job of doing traditional reviews. I want to say that I could not put this book down I began reading it on Sunday afternoon and finished it Tuesday afternoon. It is written in a manner that allows you to stop reading at any point. By that I mean some Chapters are a single page and a long chapter would be twelve pages. I developed more interest in some characters than others. I see where the Authoress could decide to write a book based upon the life of any one of several characters and have another very popular/bestseller. The end of the book was a bit of a surprise to me and that makes it a good read as well. All-in-all I am very pleased that I was selected to read this "advance/uncorrected proof" copy of a really good book. An advance copy of this book was provided by the publisher via LibraryThing in exchange for an honest review. While my review is not traditional I hope it has caused some who read this will want to buy and enjoy this book! ( )
  JanicsEblen | Jun 16, 2017 |

A classroom is held hostage by someone with a thirst for revenge in this stunningly intricate, ripped-from-the-headlines novel of rich psychological suspense from the New York Times bestselling author of the Mary Russell mysteries.

Career Day at Guadalupe Middle School: a day given to innocent hopes and youthful dreams. A day no one in attendance will ever forget.

New York Times bestselling author Laurie R. King is an award-winning master of combining rich atmospheric detail with riveting, keen-edged mystery. Now, in her newest standalone novel of psychological suspense, King turns her sharp eye to a moment torn from the headlines and a school under threat.

A year ago, Principal Linda McDonald arrived at Guadalupe determined to overturn the school’s reputation for truancy, gang violence, and neglect. One of her initiatives is Career Day—bringing together children, teachers, and community presenters in a celebration of the future. But there are some in attendance who reject McDonald’s bright vision.

A principal with a secret. A husband with a murky past. A cop with too many questions. A kid under pressure to prove himself. A girl struggling to escape a mother’s history. A young basketball player with an affection for guns.

Even the school janitor has a story he dare not reveal.

But no one at the gathering anticipates the shocking turn of events that will transform a day of possibilities into an explosive confrontation.

Tense, poignant, and brilliantly paced, Laurie R. King’s novel charts compelling characters on a collision course—a chain of interactions that locks together hidden lives, troubling secrets, and the bravest impulses of the human heart.

The award-winning novels of Laurie R. King are . . .

“Sharp, inventive and rewarding.”The Seattle Times

“Audacious.”—Los Angeles Times

“Rousing . . . riveting . . . suspenseful.”—Chicago Sun-Times

“Impossible to put down.”Romantic Times

“Beguiling . . . tantalizing.”The Boston Globe

“Stunning.”—The Christian Science Monitor

“Delightful.”Booklist (starred review)

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 19 Feb 2017 22:17:46 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Laurie R. King's book Lockdown is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Laurie R. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,176,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible