Lockdown: A Novel of Suspense by Laurie R.…

Lockdown: A Novel of Suspense (edition 2017)

by Laurie R. King (Author)

Member:drsyko
Title:Lockdown: A Novel of Suspense
Authors:Laurie R. King (Author)
Info:Bantam (2017), 400 pages
Rating:***1/2

Lockdown by Laurie R. King

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I’ve read ALMOST everything Laurie King has written – every one of her Mary Russell books, most of the Kate Martinelli books and some of the stand-alone novels. I’ve loved most of them (especially the Russell/Holmes books). When I saw “Lockdown” – and how different it seemed to be from any of her previous works – I just had to read it.

I must admit…. there were many days after I started it where I looked at the cover sitting on my nightstand…and did not pick it up. I wasn’t connecting to any of the characters and the book started off with such a feeling of “SOMETHING EXTREMELY BAD IS GOING TO HAPPEN ( )
  karieh | Sep 5, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Lockdown is wonderful novel that follows a group of people as their lives are unexpectedly interrupted over the course of one day. As the reader, you know that they will face adversity at some point, but you don't know when it will happen or what form it will take. Enough backstory is thrown in to make all of the central characters well-rounded and enjoyable. Most of them could have been the subject of their own novels and yet you get enough glimpses into their lives to make them feel complete. I can't say that the ending was a complete surprise, but it was a novel enough approach to still leave room for second-guessing up until it played out. Overall, I really enjoyed this story; much more than I thought I would. ( )
  Nextian | Jul 27, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm a big Laurie R. King fan. I love her Mary Russell books. When I saw that she'd written a standalone novel and that it was a part of LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program, I immediately requested a copy. And I was not disappointed.

As you might expect from the title, this story is set in a school. As you might also expect, something big is about to happen there.

King is a great storyteller. To borrow a metaphor from this book, she's an expert weaver, pulling together several different characters' stories into one compelling page turner. I liked the characters and their back stories. And I was satisfied with the ending. Obviously, I can't reveal any of the plot lines without spoiling your reading enjoyment. I'll just say I whipped through the book in about two days and enjoyed every minute of it.

Well done, Ms. King. I anxiously await your next book. ( )
  jennyo | Jul 21, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It’s a typical day at Guadalupe Middle School. Well, except that it’s Career Day. But just like any day, it starts with kids and teachers, principal and guest speakers, all preparing for a day of school. There’s nothing special, nothing out of the ordinary to mark this as the day when several lives will change forever. It’s just Career Day.

But what everyone – Coach, Principal Linda, Officer Olivia, students Brendan and Esme and Chaco and Mina – don’t know is that a strange set of circumstances will convince a desperate man to take a desperate action.

I’ve read several of Laurie R. King’s book before. I love her Sherlock Holmes/Mary Russell series, but I’ve never read any of her stand alone titles. I was intrigued by this one, but then when I got it, I was beginning to have second thoughts. First of all, it’s a really big book. And second, a school shooting? Did I really want to read about that?

Um, no. Not really. But I had already agreed to review the book. So I decided to at least give it a fair try.

It was hard at first. I kept reading little bits here and there, maybe because I was waiting for the shooting to start. I’d flip forward and say, “Nope, everyone’s fine,” and quit reading. But I kept with it. She changes POVs between lots of different characters. I didn’t have any trouble keeping them straight, but the chapters were so short it made it harder to get drawn into the book. Finally around page 200! I was really into the story.

It took me that long to realize that this book is not really about a school shooting. It’s about all the things that lead up to it, about all the people involved, all the lives that are touched, all the ways things could go differently, and everything that prepares us to be ready for when the real moment, the moment that matters comes.

In the end, I liked this one much more than I thought I would at first. The more I think about it, the more I would recommend it. But only if you are prepared for the suspense and the subject. If it’s too upsetting for you, then definitely don’t read this one. 4 /5 stars ( )
  cmbohn | Jul 18, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Lockdown is a harrowing story of a violent event at a school. It's filled with memorable characters who have unique and interesting backstories. It is these stories that comprise the vast majority of the book. The shooting is almost an afterthought and doesn't take place until far into the book. Almost everything else is prologue to this event. I have read many books by Ms. King, and find her to be a deft and masterful writer the majority of the time. This book is somewhat of a departure, both because it's not a part of any of her regular series, and because, while the writing in and of itself is high quality, the story is somewhat disjointed and doesn't really seem to lead anywhere. There are several fascinating subplots that sort of hang in the air, and the identity of the shooter doesn't really make any sense. Ms. King also seems to shy away from the reality of what would be the likely outcome in real-life shooting scenario, which is her prerogative as a writer, but it ended up feeling like this part of the story was sort of thrown in to simply add suspense. I really enjoyed the characters and backstories, but this isn't my favorite book by this author due to the plot somehow not really holding together cohesively. ( )
  drsyko | Jul 17, 2017 |

King, Laurie R.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beltran, CarlosCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Witherspoon, PilarNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For all the children who came here from somewhere else.
Brendan dropped to one knee in the dim alley, watching for motion at the far end.

A classroom is held hostage by someone with a thirst for revenge in this stunningly intricate, ripped-from-the-headlines novel of rich psychological suspense from the New York Times bestselling author of the Mary Russell mysteries.

Career Day at Guadalupe Middle School: a day given to innocent hopes and youthful dreams. A day no one in attendance will ever forget.

New York Times bestselling author Laurie R. King is an award-winning master of combining rich atmospheric detail with riveting, keen-edged mystery. Now, in her newest standalone novel of psychological suspense, King turns her sharp eye to a moment torn from the headlines and a school under threat.

A year ago, Principal Linda McDonald arrived at Guadalupe determined to overturn the school’s reputation for truancy, gang violence, and neglect. One of her initiatives is Career Day—bringing together children, teachers, and community presenters in a celebration of the future. But there are some in attendance who reject McDonald’s bright vision.

A principal with a secret. A husband with a murky past. A cop with too many questions. A kid under pressure to prove himself. A girl struggling to escape a mother’s history. A young basketball player with an affection for guns.

Even the school janitor has a story he dare not reveal.

But no one at the gathering anticipates the shocking turn of events that will transform a day of possibilities into an explosive confrontation.

Tense, poignant, and brilliantly paced, Laurie R. King’s novel charts compelling characters on a collision course—a chain of interactions that locks together hidden lives, troubling secrets, and the bravest impulses of the human heart.

The award-winning novels of Laurie R. King are . . .

“Sharp, inventive and rewarding.”The Seattle Times

“Audacious.”—Los Angeles Times

“Rousing . . . riveting . . . suspenseful.”—Chicago Sun-Times

“Impossible to put down.”Romantic Times

“Beguiling . . . tantalizing.”The Boston Globe

“Stunning.”—The Christian Science Monitor

“Delightful.”Booklist (starred review)

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 19 Feb 2017 22:17:46 -0500)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Laurie R. King's book Lockdown is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Laurie R. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,912,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible