The Idea of You by Amanda Prowse

The Idea of You

by Amanda Prowse

With her 40th birthday approaching, Lucy Carpenter dares to hope that she finally has it all: a wonderful new husband, Jonah, a successful career and the chance of a precious baby of her own. Life couldn't be more perfect. But the reality of becoming parents proves much harder than Lucy and Jonah imagined. Jonah's love and support is unquestioning, but as Lucy struggles with work and her own failing dreams, the strain on their marriage increases. Suddenly it feels like Lucy is close to losing everything.… (more)

OK book. Not stellar, not horrible. Characters are pretty vanilla without any real defining characteristics, and the pace is very slow. A very meh book overall. ( )
  LilyRoseShadowlyn | Dec 24, 2019 |
Lucy Carpenter is approaching her 40th birthday as well as celebrating one year of marriage. Her wonderful husband, John, is a divorcee with a 16 year old daughter who lives in France with his ex-wife and step-dad. Lucy is hoping to soon have it all, a successful career, a wonderful marriage and a baby on the way. Unfortunately for Lucy and John, becoming parents may not be in the cards. Amanda Prowse has written about motherhood, or specifically the struggle families deal with when there is a miscarriage. This is an emotional book especially if you or a family member have lost a child due to miscarriage. The characters in this book are very real. Lucy and John love one another, yet still have issues to deal with. John's daughter, Camille, struggles with a new step-mother and the loss of her father's time and affection. She is not likable when she is introduced, but as the story continues, she changes and becomes a much nicer young lady. The struggles this family goes through are real, and the changes the family dynamics go through could happen to anyone. A great story with great characters that will pull at your heartstrings as well as make you smile. Definitely a recommended read for anyone who enjoys family dramas. The publisher generously provided me with a copy of this book via Netgalley. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
It was kind of hard to sympathize with Lucy with her obsession with having a baby since I have never obsessed about it or have I had a miscarriage, as far as I know. Lucy was a fatalist. Instead of sticking around to talk with Jonah through some rough spots, she packed up her bags and ran. This family had a lot to go through, and struggled to make it work. It really shows how things can be misinterpreted if you don't talk about it. Because what is your reality is not another person's reality and what people think of you has nothing to do with you. I feel like a lot of relationships where there are stepchildren involved might have to think of the relationship that way. That maybe the way the child or parent is acting has nothing to do with you but something to do with what they are dealing with. That being said, I think this is a wonderfully written book that opened my eyes to what it can be like in a mixed household where secrets are kept and truths are not always told. A lot of times this book broke my heart.

I received a copy from NetGalley. ( )
  MHanover10 | Feb 4, 2018 |
I received a free advance e-copy of this book and have chosen to write an honest and unbiased review. I have no personal affiliation with the author. This is a well-written novel with a well-developed plot and excellent character development. Miscarriage is a difficult and sensitive topic that Amanda Prowse addresses with a great deal of compassion and understanding in ‘The Idea of You.’ She writes this book with a great deal of passion and sensitivity. This story is very emotional with many ups and downs and at times it is heartbreaking. There are agonizing secrets from the past. A very realistic look at miscarriage and how it can affect a family. This book is well worth the read. ( )
  iadam | Dec 31, 2017 |
Sometimes what you wish for isn't the best thing for you, and sometimes it is. Lucy's story is one of love and loss, and finding a balanced and fulfilling life amidst her experiences.
Prowse takes a heavy subject matter and addresses it in a way that is bearable and sweet, while also being realistic. Her voice is at times humorous, witty, humbling and heartbreaking while she delivers one heck of a love story.
*I received an arc from the publisher through NetGalley for an honest review ( )
  KimMcReads | Sep 3, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,530,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible