The Readymade Thief by Augustus Rose

The Readymade Thief (edition 2017)

by Augustus Rose (Author)

Member:jasonpettus
Title:The Readymade Thief
Authors:Augustus Rose (Author)
Info:Viking (2017), 384 pages
Rating:**

The Readymade Thief by Augustus Rose

This story was really dark and almost a little disturbing. It does remind me a bit of The Da Vinci Code or a darker version of Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore, with the theme of finding hidden meaning in art, literature, etc. I really like books with that kind of plotline. I did enjoy this story, but I'm not entirely sure I understand it. All of the references to Duchamp's art were really confusing, and I found myself having to re-read sections of this book to understand what was going on. All in all, I liked this story, I mostly liked how it ended, and I would definitely recommend giving it a shot. Just be aware that this is not a light, fluffy read - it requires your full attention to really understand the story, and readers should be prepared for quite a bit of darkness and some violence. Overall though, definitely a really interesting, unique story. Thanks to First to Read for the advance copy. ( )
  carlie892 | Oct 10, 2018 |
Lee's origin story as a petty thief with an intolerable home life makes her a sympathetic character and she can even be seen as a strong survivalist, except that she has a tendency to be too easily influenced by anyone who shows genuine interest in her. This fault gets her mixed up in the dangerous activities of a bizarre ubiquitous cult whose belief system is built around the erotic works of an obscure artist. The code-filled narrative is compelling mostly because Lee's role in all of this is baffling (even to her!) so what happens next is always a surprise. Unfortunately, the story is built on an underlying plot that is just too strange and unlikely to be believable. Read-alikes: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Robin Sloan) and Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore (Matthew J. Sullivan) ( )
  bookappeal | May 6, 2018 |
Wow, this book was not what I expected. And I don't mean that in a good way. This novel really didn't have anything that I enjoyed. I thought that the story would move at a much faster pace than it did ... and it was seriously slow. It was also very unrealistic in terms of plot. Now, I know that sounds like a dumb comment, considering that this is fiction, but there needs to be a touch of realism in order to make the reader believe in the story. The amount of bad luck that follows Lee is ridiculous and the author's struggle to tie in art, science made me cringe. The whole novel felt like this huge struggle where the author was trying to say something meaningful.... but there really wasn't anything meaningful to say. To top it all off, the characters were all one-dimensional and didn't have anything to connect me to them. Overall, this novel failed for me on many levels and I would give this a 1.5/5 stars.

Thank you to Penguin Random House and the First to Read program for this ARC in exchange for my honest review.

For more reviews, visit: www.veereading.wordpress.com ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
I received an eGalley from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I wanted to like this book more. The plot was meaty and intriguing, and I kept wishing I didn't have to put the book down to work or sleep. However, the resolution seemed weak after all the work and research put into the rising action. We almost don't have time to get to know Lee since she's trying to survive one thing after another, after another... Drugs? Yep. Hacking? Sure. Art conspiracies? Absolutely. Secret societies? Certainly. Violence? You bet. (I've refrained from writing more since it falls into spoiler territory.)

The Readymade Thief is pretty darn approachable for both YA and adult readers; I found it difficult to categorize as one or the other. It's suspenseful, packed with action, and somewhat sad. ( )
  jess_reads | Jan 25, 2018 |
Rating: To Come

Thank you to the publisher and author for providing this book as a Goodreads giveaway which I am grateful to have won an arc copy!

"An addictive literary puzzle that introduces an unforgettable young heroine plunged into the twisted world of a secret society with a dark agenda."

Wow, based on this simple sentence, I am really excited to read this book. It sounds so thrilling and intriguing.

Full review coming soon!
  ne.may97 | Jan 1, 2018 |

"For fans of Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, an arresting literary puzzle that introduces an unforgettable young heroine plunged into the twisted world of a secret society occupying the derelict buildings of Philadelphia, which heralds the arrival of an astoundingly imaginative and propulsive new voice in fiction. Lee Cuddy is 17 years old and on the run, alone on the streets of Philadelphia. After taking the fall for a rich friend, Lee reluctantly accepts refuge in the Crystal Castle--a cooperative of homeless kids squatting in an austere, derelict building. But homeless kids are disappearing from the streets of Philadelphia in suspicious numbers, and Lee quickly discovers that the secret society's charitable facade is too good to be true. She finds an unexpected ally in Tomi, a young artist and hacker whose knowledge of the Internet's black market is rivaled only by his ability to break into and out of buildings. From abandoned aquariums to highly patrolled museums to the homes of vacationing Philadelphians, Tomi and Lee can always chart a way to the next, perfect hide-out"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,688,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible