The Readymade Thief by Augustus Rose

The Readymade Thief (edition 2017)

by Augustus Rose (Author)

Member:jasonpettus
Title:The Readymade Thief
Authors:Augustus Rose (Author)
Info:Viking (2017), 384 pages
Rating:**

The Readymade Thief by Augustus Rose

Lee's origin story as a petty thief with an intolerable home life makes her a sympathetic character and she can even be seen as a strong survivalist, except that she has a tendency to be too easily influenced by anyone who shows genuine interest in her. This fault gets her mixed up in the dangerous activities of a bizarre ubiquitous cult whose belief system is built around the erotic works of an obscure artist. The code-filled narrative is compelling mostly because Lee's role in all of this is baffling (even to her!) so what happens next is always a surprise. Unfortunately, the story is built on an underlying plot that is just too strange and unlikely to be believable. Read-alikes: Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Robin Sloan) and Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore (Matthew J. Sullivan) ( )
  bookappeal | May 6, 2018 |
Wow, this book was not what I expected. And I don't mean that in a good way. This novel really didn't have anything that I enjoyed. I thought that the story would move at a much faster pace than it did ... and it was seriously slow. It was also very unrealistic in terms of plot. Now, I know that sounds like a dumb comment, considering that this is fiction, but there needs to be a touch of realism in order to make the reader believe in the story. The amount of bad luck that follows Lee is ridiculous and the author's struggle to tie in art, science made me cringe. The whole novel felt like this huge struggle where the author was trying to say something meaningful.... but there really wasn't anything meaningful to say. To top it all off, the characters were all one-dimensional and didn't have anything to connect me to them. Overall, this novel failed for me on many levels and I would give this a 1.5/5 stars.

Thank you to Penguin Random House and the First to Read program for this ARC in exchange for my honest review.

For more reviews, visit: www.veereading.wordpress.com ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
I received an eGalley from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I wanted to like this book more. The plot was meaty and intriguing, and I kept wishing I didn't have to put the book down to work or sleep. However, the resolution seemed weak after all the work and research put into the rising action. We almost don't have time to get to know Lee since she's trying to survive one thing after another, after another... Drugs? Yep. Hacking? Sure. Art conspiracies? Absolutely. Secret societies? Certainly. Violence? You bet. (I've refrained from writing more since it falls into spoiler territory.)

The Readymade Thief is pretty darn approachable for both YA and adult readers; I found it difficult to categorize as one or the other. It's suspenseful, packed with action, and somewhat sad. ( )
  jess_reads | Jan 25, 2018 |
Rating: To Come

Thank you to the publisher and author for providing this book as a Goodreads giveaway which I am grateful to have won an arc copy!

"An addictive literary puzzle that introduces an unforgettable young heroine plunged into the twisted world of a secret society with a dark agenda."

Wow, based on this simple sentence, I am really excited to read this book. It sounds so thrilling and intriguing.

Full review coming soon!
  ne.may97 | Jan 1, 2018 |
I don't know what exactly I expected from this book, but it definitely wasn't this. For some reason, I thought this book was a memoir. The first part of it reads like one. I thought it was going to be a memoir about an angsty teen, with a crappy home life, but then it takes a crazy turn, and then another even crazier one, then another, and another, each crazier than the last... So, it is written as kind of a memoir, but a fictional one.

The first line of the book explains that Lee was 6 when she first stole something. The first few pages explains her parents not getting along, her mom always being angry, her dad being a charming singer/songwriter that everyone was drawn to and could have made it big "if things had been different." She loved hearing him sitting with his friends, laughing and telling stories, but he sometimes disappeared for a few days at a time, and at 7 years old, he left for good, disappearing without a word. She noticed that he took mote than he usually did, but she expected him to return any day. After a week, she asked her mom. "Her mom looked down at her dispassionately. 'He might come back tomorrow, or he might never come back. I can't tell you which, I think you better just get used to it.'"

Again, I don't know what I expected when I started this book. The beginning was about what I expected, but then, it took a bunch of crazy turns, and ended up being a story I never would have anticipated from the title.

Lee's father is gone. He disappeared. Her mother is a shell of who she once was, and her new crazy boyfriend moves with without Lee even noticing. Then, she gains a friend who wants to "save" her, and that goes horribly wrong.

However, while the first chapter might have given me some background, the next chapters is what the book is really about. This book starts out with an introverted teenager, who started stealing at an early age, and takes such drastic turns, that the beginning of this story could be a separate book than the second half of the story.

Actually, the further I got into the book, the beginning chapters could have been several different books. The authors takes what starts out reading like a memoir and turns it into an AMAZING work of fiction that entertains, shocks, surprises, and makes readers laugh, cry, and feel a whole range of emotions in between that I know I didn't expect to feel, going into a book with a tie like The Readymade Thief. The book just goes in so many different directions that no one would ever expect.

I didn't quite get most of the art references, but I did get some of the scientific & physics references. That didn't really matter too much in the end, though. Even if you know nothing about art and don't understand the references or explanations, I guarantee you will understand the rest of the book, especially the ending.

I was in total shock of this book before I finished it.

The author did an excellent job of including little details that at first may seem unsubstantial, but later end up making a huge impact in the story.

Anyone who likes conspiracy theories or has ever found themselves wrapped up in learning about one will love this book, but even those who have never believed in or been fascinated by a conspiracy theory will like it, because in the end, its not about the conspiracy theory, its about a young girl and the relationships she makes trying to figure out where to go and what to do after being betrayed by her family and friends.

This book had me hooked almost immediately, even when I thought it was a completely different story! I read this book in two nights, and I would have read it in one, if I didn't absolutely have to do to bed at 2am the first night or could have started reading earlier, instead of doing homework that night...

This book really just baffled and delighted me! It was smart, suspenseful, well written, funny at moments, and just an all-around gripping story! I definitely recommend it to anyone!

I received a copy of this book for free from the publishers, via First to Read, in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Jesscreason | Sep 20, 2017 |

"Lee Cuddy is 17 years old and on the run, alone on the streets of Philadelphia. After taking the fall for a rich friend, Lee reluctantly accepts refuge in the Crystal Castle--a cooperative of homeless kids squatting in an austere, derelict building. But homeless kids are disappearing from the streets of Philadelphia in suspicious numbers, and Lee quickly discovers that the secret society's charitable facade is too good to be true"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,403,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible