The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding…

The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding (Poirot) (original 1960; edition 2016)

by Agatha Christie (Author)

Series: Hercule Poirot (33), Miss Marple (Short Stories)

Agatha Christie's seasonal Poirot and Marple short story collection, reissued with a striking new cover designed to appeal to the latest generation of Agatha Christie fans and book lovers. First came a sinister warning to Poirot not to eat any plum pudding... then the discovery of a corpse in a chest... next, an overheard quarrel that led to murder... the strange case of the dead man who altered his eating habits... and the puzzle of the victim who dreamt his own suicide. What links these five baffling cases? The little grey cells of Monsieur Hercule Poirot!… (more)
Member:BrianEWilliams
Title:The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding (Poirot)
Authors:Agatha Christie (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (2016), 304 pages
Rating:***
Tags:eBook, detective fiction, UK, Agatha Christie

Work Information

The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding by Agatha Christie (1960)

English (26)  Spanish (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (31)
The standouts are The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding and the Miss Marple story, "Greenshaw"s Folly". The other short stories are entertaining although they are ordinary. I was drawn to the Christmas Pudding story because Christie discussed it (briefly) in her autobiography. ( )
  BrianEWilliams | Nov 24, 2022 |
Stories in Collection:
The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding- Is an extended version of the alternate titled The Theft of the Royal Ruby. Hercule is off to the English countryside for Christmas to catch a thief. While there, he befriends his host family and, of course, solves the crime. I always find myself chuckling at Monsieur Poirot and his frustrations. His lack of wanting to deal with an English winter in the countryside and how a good mystery can’t keep him away.

The Mystery of the Spanish Chest
Monsieur Poirot is called to help solve the murder of a man who was found after a party in the host's living room hidden in a large Spanish Chest. There is only one person who could have possibly done it, no? However, the victim's wife is adamant that her friend could never do such a thing. Can Hercule get to the truth of the matter? Will the wife have to accept that she might be wrong? This was one I had recalled from long ago but found I did not quite remember the ending as I thought I had. Agatha Christie is the queen of closed-door mysteries. I could not correctly identify the culprit though I had the right motives.

The Under Dog
Lady Astwell has requested the aid of Hercule Poirot in clearing her nephew’s name of murder. Her husband was murdered several days before, and her nephew was charged with the crime. She is confident he did not do it and blames her husband's secretary. Mr. Trefusis. Though she has no proof, she knows he did it. Can Poirot prove who is at fault? Of course, he can, and his methods, as always, are brilliant. A little snooping and hypnosis help him crack the case and prove who was at fault. While more of a “we already sort of know who did it,” the intrigue lies in how Hercule can draw the culprit out. Quite an incredible display of smarts and cunning.
Four and Twenty Blackbirds
While eating out with a friend Hercule is drawn to a man sitting near them. The waitress advises that this man is a regular and always comes on the same days and orders much of the same food every time. When the man is later found dead at the bottom of his steps, Hercule can’t help but think how the waitress found it odd that the man had come in the week of his death on a non-normal day and ordered food he had never ordered before. It is this conversation that helps him solve a case no one even knew needed to be solved. Leave it to M. Poirot to solve a murder no one had known occurred.
The Dream
Hercule Poirot is summoned to the home of Mr. Farley. The man has called him there to help him solve a mystery. He keeps having dreams of sitting at his desk and taking out a revolver at the same time each time he dreams and shooting himself. After seeing many Drs. with no answers, he has turned to Poirot for help. After seeing the room Poirot takes his leave. He is notified a week later of the death of Mr. Farley and feels that there is more to his death. After good detective work, he realizes that Mr. Farley did not shoot himself but was murdered in quite a unique fashion. While I had one of the culprits correct, I was thrown on the other, and in the way, he was killed. I do enjoy it when I can’t guess until I am told.

Greenshaw’s Folly
The only Miss Marple story in the bunch was a good one. Raymond West is visiting Greenshaw's Folly with an acquaintance when he is asked by the matron of the house to be witness to her will signing. He obliges not knowing this act would thrust him right into the middle of a murder investigation. The elderly woman is soon found dead via an arrow shot through her heart. The only issue is that the only two other people in the home had been locked in their rooms. Miss Marple finds a way to solve the crime just by hearing the story told. While not my favorite short story by Agatha it was a good one and had some well-hidden nuggets to search through. ( )
  BuffyCharp | Sep 23, 2022 |
6 short stories (5 with Poirot, 1 with Marple) and most of which are well known. Didnt know Greenshaw's Folly or The Under Dog so they were new to me. First published in 1963, Poirot is getting old and tired, but it's still a while before the end of "Curtain".

The stories are short, and I think that some were perhaps a little too short - the denouement came too quickly and I wasnt necessarily convinced ( )
  nordie | Apr 18, 2022 |
I've been enjoying a revisit to Agatha Christie lately, and this little holiday mystery was suggested by another avid Agatha reader. I am impressed by how much mystery and charm she packed into the story! It's a merry blend of Poirot, and English Christmas gathering in the countryside, a scoundrel or two, and of course the infamous Christmas pudding! As a bonus I learned a good deal about traditional Christmas meals in England. The presence of children in this mystery added an extra note of brightness! The audio is just a couple of hours, and it was a perfect way to spend a little time in December. Recommend!
  starlight-glimmer | Dec 27, 2021 |
Hercule Poirot has a case at a home in the English countryside involving a missing ruby, and he also gets to experience an English Christmas.

This was an extremely enjoyable short story. I liked the setting, the Christmas season, the characters... I liked the part when the teenagers tried to trick Poirot, but as usual, he is one step ahead of them.

Another entertaining mystery by Agatha Christie! ( )
  SandraLynne | Dec 14, 2021 |

Jäppinen, MarkkuTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirvaitytė, RasaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rantanen, Aulis(KÄÄnt.).secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seeberg, Axel S.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book of Christmas fare may be described as "The Chef's Selection." (From Agatha Christie's foreword, Harper Collins trade paperback, 2016)
"I regret exceedingly—" said M. Hercule Poirot.

Contents:
1.The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding, or The Theft of the Royal Ruby
Poirot is tasked with finding a stolen heirloom jewel for a visiting prince.
2. The Mystery of the Spanish Chest
A servant opens a chest to find a body inside
3. The Underdog
Charles Leverson is arrested for the murder of his uncle, Sir Rueben Astwell. Lady Astwell is certain that Leverson is innocent, and summons Poirot to investigate
4. Four and Twenty Blackbirds
Discussing eating habits over dinner with a friend. The waitress tells them that one of their regular customers has suddenly changed his unvarying habits. Poirot investigates and uncovers a murder.
5. The Dream
Poirot is summoned to the home of a reclusive millionaire who asks Poirot to investigate his recurring dream of committing suicide. Farley is later found dead in a manner suggested by the dream. Poirot helps the police investigate.
6. Greenshaw's Folly
Miss Marple's nephew Raymond West takes his friend Horace Bindler to see a very eccentric mansion. They meet the owner, Miss Greenshaw, and she asks them to witness a will. A few days later, she is murdered with an arrow, and Miss Marple investigates.

The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding and a Selection of Entrées short story collection in Wikipedia
Hercule Poirot is summoned by letter to the house of Benedict Farley, very wealthy man. The butler escorts him to an office where Poirot is forced to prove his identity to the suspicious man. Finally, he tells Poirot that he has a recurring, very detailed dream in which he kills himself. Poirot determines that he cannot be of assistance, until after the police call him in when Farley is dead in the exact circumstances of the dream.

In: Agatha Christie, Regatta Mystery and Other Stories (New York : Berkeley Books, 1984), pp. 145-178.

First US publication: October 23, 1937 (Volume 210, Number 17) issue of The Saturday Evening Post with illustrations by F. R. Gruger. Wikipedia page
A selection of
short stories starring Hercule
Poirot, Miss Marple.
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,142,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible