Over and Under the Pond: (Environment and…

Over and Under the Pond: (Environment and Ecology Books for Kids, Nature… (edition 2017)

by Kate Messner (Author)

Celebrates the forms of life that live above and under a pond, including turtles, red-winged blackbirds, blue herons, minnows, frogs, and catfish.
Member:Lindsey_87
Title:Over and Under the Pond: (Environment and Ecology Books for Kids, Nature Books, Children's Oceanography Books, Animal Books for Kids)
Authors:Kate Messner (Author)
Info:Chronicle Books (2017), Edition: Illustrated, 48 pages

Over and Under the Pond by Kate Messner

The illustration for this book is really pretty and engaging. I think that this book would be best used for younger elementary when learning about the ecosystem. It follows the narrative of a kid learning about the animals living in the pond. I think it would be best used to have students create a food chain or a picture representation of an ecosystem based on the animals that they read about. This book starts off with a child asking about what kind of animals live in the pond and him making observations about the wildlife he sees all around. It talks about what is seen on the surface (over the pond) and what happens underneath the surface like fish and beavers. The book shows illustrations corresponding with the animal we are learning about. It could also be used in a habitat unit too. ( )
  mikrobbins21 | Oct 23, 2020 |
A young boy asks his mother, “what’s down there?” His mom replies, “under the pond?” She then goes on to state that under the pond is a whole hidden world. But there is also a lot of happening over the pond. There is so much life under and over the pond. There are different animals and different plants living in the pond and above the pond. This book is informative, and easy to read. It will bring out the curiosity in children. At the end of the book children will find descriptions of many different animals, there habitats and what they eat. Fun book to read and learn about animals. It would be fun to take a trip to a nearby pond and observe nearby plants and animals in and outside the pond. ( )
  MMennealy | May 22, 2019 |
This book was about a mom and her kid who float down a pond in a boat and discover many animals. They see animals below in the water swimming and searching for food, and they also see animals in the sky flying and in the trees. This book goes into great detail about animal life and how they survive. They show many different animals that a kid may not have heard before. The pictures of the water and animals are absolutely beautiful and add a nice touch to the story. I think this book is great for elementary or middle school students who are learning about animals and the ecosystem. This book would pair great with a lesson about why it is important to throw trash away and keep the waters clean for the animals. ( )
  Brea_Groce | Mar 13, 2019 |
Being a teacher living a Louisiana, I am sure I'm bound to teach a lesson on ponds/swamps/wetlands at some point in my career, so I decided to give this book a read when I found it at my local library. This book shows a child and his mother canoeing on a pond and discussing the animals they see above and below the surface. While this book does not include detailed scientific facts, I think it would be perfect for introducing young learners to the many different animals and plants found in this type of habitat. Most of the animals in the book are either eating or actively searching for food, so it would also be beneficial when discussing the food chain. The book ends with a more thorough description of the animals mentioned throughout the story, along with suggested books and websites for further reading. I was excited to discover that this is part of a series that includes other ecosystems. ( )
  HSunseri | Sep 2, 2018 |
Super fluid with a ton of great vocabulary about plants and animals that live in and around a pond. Would use to launch habitats unit and use for repeated readings for fluency practice.
  hl8 | Jul 24, 2018 |

Kate Messnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Neal, Christopher SilasIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,279,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible