Uncommon Type: Some Stories by Tom Hanks

Uncommon Type: Some Stories (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Tom Hanks (Author)

A collection of seventeen wonderful short stories showing that two-time Oscar winner Tom Hanks is as talented a writer as he is an actor. A gentle Eastern European immigrant arrives in New York City after his family and his life have been torn apart by his country's civil war. A man who loves to bowl rolls a perfect game--and then another and then another and then many more in a row until he winds up ESPN's newest celebrity, and he must decide if the combination of perfection and celebrity has ruined the thing he loves. An eccentric billionaire and his faithful executive assistant venture into America looking for acquisitions and discover a down and out motel, romance, and a bit of real life. These are just some of the tales Tom Hanks tells in this first collection of his short stories. They are surprising, intelligent, heartwarming, and, for the millions and millions of Tom Hanks fans, an absolute must-have!… (more)
Member:KABarnes
Title:Uncommon Type: Some Stories
Authors:Tom Hanks (Author)
Info:Knopf (2017), Edition: First Edition, 416 pages
Tags:to-read

Uncommon Type: Some Stories by Tom Hanks (2017)

Aggressively bland, is what another reviewer called this novel. I agree completely. I had to bail at about three-quarters through, because I just simply couldn't force myself to finish it. Not even the author narrating his own book himself, would make me.
2.5 stars, and not really recommended.

Read this:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2190019418?book_show_action=false&from... ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
If Tom Hanks were not already a mega-celebrity, writing of this quality would have at least raised his status to "renowned author."
I have to confess, I would never have picked this book up had I not been participating in a "book challenge" where one of the itmes was to rad a book by a celebrity. It was the last item I completed in the challenge because I dreaded facing a self-promoting memoir, Hollywod "tell-all" tale or any of the other typical drivel that comes from celebrities, especially Hollywood celebrities. But the first story in this collection taught me that this is a set of stories by an author who knows what he is doing. In fact, it was a far better book than two other short story anthologies I had recently read.
The stories are engaging, the characters realistic, the plots beliveable. No time is wasted in details or descriptions that do not further the plot. The writing is crisp and sharp as well as being innovative at times. All of this should be expected from a good story teller, but what impressed me the most was Hanks' versitility. The range of stories and storylines amazed me, yet the variations in style and characterization that Hanks brought to the works always made them sparkle. Reading some of the stories made it hard to believe that they were penned by the same author who wrote others in the collection.
If Tom Hanks ever to decides to crush the hopes of his film and television admirers (his work on SNL is terrific as his Big screen performances ), he would certainly have a bright future as an author.
Despite my reluctance to actually pick up a work by a celebrity in order to complete my book challenge, I found that I was glad that the challenge had made me explore many types of books that were not likely to have ever been found on my library check-out list had I not been challenges. Hank's book was probably the greatest surprise of all the eye-opening new experiences I had while completing the challenge. ( )
  Paul-the-well-read | Apr 18, 2020 |
Bland and inoffensive. Difficult to avoid the suspicion that had the writer been anyone other than Tom Hanks this collection would never have made it past a decent editor. ( )
  P1g5purt | Apr 1, 2020 |
Of course picked it up because of the author. It was ..... okay. I should preface that with the fact that I'm generally not a fan of short stories, so it's a steep hill to climb to engage me in the style.

There were a couple that I quite enjoyed, but the majority were readable, sometimes clever, but just okay. I did like the way he worked a typewriter into every story.....sometimes just a sentence or two and sometimes a major role. That was clever. One repeating character was a small town newspaper writer and that story appeared in newspaper columnar format, which made an interesting change. There was one other repeat of a trio of characters that I found less engaging - the first story sets them up and they repeat a couple of times.

If you're a fan of short stories, I would recommend this - if you're a fan of Tom Hanks, you may enjoy this manifestation of his talent - if you're looking for a "good read", maybe try something else. ( )
  Terrie2018 | Feb 21, 2020 |
I listened to about 1/2 of this book, and while not horrible, it was not that good either. The stories were uneven and all were forgettable. And surprisingly, Tom Hanks was not a very good narrator. My to Read list is way too long to waste precious time on mediocre writing and narration. ( )
  tshrope | Jan 13, 2020 |

Tom Hanksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Twomey, KevinPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Rita and all the kids.
Because of Nora.
Anna said there was only one place to find a meaningful gift for MDash--the Antique Warehouse, not so much a place for old treasures as a permanent swap meet in what used to be the Lux Theater.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,918,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible