Dear Martin by Nic Stone

Dear Martin (2017)

by Nic Stone

I hate to be a cliche, but if you enjoyed The Hate U Give, then you will enjoy this book as well. I found Dear Martin to be less emotionally draining than The Hate U Give, but equally as important in our current climate.

Justyce sets out to do a social experiment, in which he aims to be more like Martin Luther King, Jr. I felt that this was a very underlying theme throughout the book, and if the characters had not reminded me that it was an ongoing experiment, I am not sure that I would have remembered. That said, I liked this angle towards a systemic problem (racism).

I also felt like the events in Justyce's life were incredibly realistic. He has friends who are both black and white, he has a single mother, he has one black teacher in his life, I could go on and on. I guess, when it comes down to it, I saw a lot of my own life in the novel and therefore it felt realistic. I also enjoyed that it wasn't a whiny teenage novel, and rather a teenager looking critically at the world around him because he had to. I believe this fact is being increasingly overlooked in YA novels, and it shouldn't be. The fact of the matter is that some kids are forced to grow up at younger ages than others, and there need to be books out there for them too. ( )
  BEGivens | Jul 30, 2018 |
This book deals with police violence and racism. Those are topics that our society has dealt with in recent years. I was happy with the way this book talked about those topics. This is the kind of book that can create a dialogue with people across the spectrum of beliefs. It showed extremes on both sides of thinking and how they can be detrimental. The main character, Justyce, writes letters to Dr Martin Luther King Jr in his journal. Justyce tells about his experiences and about living his live the way King taught, peacefully standing up for your beliefs. There is some language, teen drinking, and talk about buying marijuana illegally. This is for more mature readers.
  heidimaxinerobbins | Jul 8, 2018 |
This is a really solid read. Brutal, surprising, and moving. It’s not very long, but I believe it explores its themes well. Some of the more villainous characters were a touch cartoonish to me, but on the whole, I thought this painted a realistic journey for its protagonist, Justice.

I couldn’t help but make comparisons to Angie Thomas’s, The Hate U Give. Since they both follow a young student caught between two worlds amidst racial tensions following an unlawful killing. Both books take different approaches, and both books are page turners. I recommend you read them both. ( )
  Stewart_Hoffman | Jun 8, 2018 |
Justyce McAllister is at the top of class and he is seeing
  AndrewC.B4 | May 30, 2018 |
I think this and Refugee are my 2 top books of 2017. I highly recommend this book to all, to start discussions on race, history, and politics. ( )
  MrsThakkar | May 20, 2018 |
'I believe that umarmed truth
and unconditional love
will have the final word in reality."
—Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Nobel peace prize acceptance speech, December 10, 1964
To K and M. Be your best.
&
To Mr Casey Weeks. Consider this your quietus.
From where he’s standing across the street, Justyce can see her: Melo Taylor, ex-girlfriend, slumped over beside her Benz on the damp concrete of the FarmFresh parking lot.

Writing letters to the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., seventeen-year-old college-bound Justyce McAllister struggles to face the reality of race relations today and how they are shaping him.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,996,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible