To Ride Pegasus by Anne McCaffrey

To Ride Pegasus (original 1973; edition 1980)

by Anne McCaffrey

"McCaffrey's world of the Talented is as vivid as that of Pern and its dragons."--Publishers Weekly When a freak accident furnishes solid scientific proof of paranormal mental abilities, the world reacts with suspicion and fear. How can ordinary people coexist with a minority able to read minds, heal with a touch, peer into the future, or move objects with a thought? How can anyone with such power be trusted not to abuse it? Harsh repression seems the only answer Gifted with precognitive talent, Henry Darrow has other ideas, foreseeing a future in which the Talents are accepted for what they are and not what they can offer their fellow humans. But the road to that future will not be easy. Darrow and the powerful telepath Daffyd op Owen must win the public's trust while overcoming the threat of rogue Talents like Solange Boshe, a young girl so consumed with hatred that her thoughts can kill, and the singer known as Amalda, whose telepathic prowess can unite a thousand strangers in joyful harmony--or mold them into a bloodthirsty mob. . . .… (more)
Member:dennymeta
Title:To Ride Pegasus
Authors:Anne McCaffrey
Info:Sphere Books Limited (1980), Edition: 5th THUS, Mass Market Paperback

To Ride Pegasus by Anne McCaffrey (1973)

Recently added byprivate library, catrijn, ezraholt, jdaerlyn, scottshjefte1, Caementum, Vanjo

I decided to re-read this series in some down time this month and it has not lost it's appeal since the last time I read this twenty years ago. I have always enjoyed stories that dealt with higher mind powers and Anne McCaffrey does not disappoint in this area.

4 stars for a fun and entertaining re-read. ( )
  ConalO | Apr 23, 2018 |
This is an early work by McCaffrey published in 1973 but some parts first appeared in 1969. I’m not sure when I first read anything by McCaffrey but I’m pretty sure it was The Ship Who Sang. Years later I had the privilege of hearing McCaffrey read that story at the Winnipeg Science Fiction Convention. Everyone present, including McCaffrey, had tears in their eyes by the end. This book isn’t up to that calibre but it is interesting to read something from a great writer’s formulative period.
People with psionic powers (telepathy, telekinesis, telempathy, precognition and other powers) in the 21st century are bombarded with sensations because people are so packed together in megalopolises. Jerhattan is one of the biggest and has all the problems one would expect in such a large city. A man who can predict the future, including his own precise death date, Henry Darrow, conceives of a refuge for those with powers and they would then use their powers to help the city. He convinces a wealthy man who owns one of the largest tracts of land that has not yet been divided to allow the center to set up shop on the land. Darrow tells the man that he knows when he will die to the precise moment and the man agrees that the center can stay if he does indeed die at that moment. However, if he lives longer the center has to leave. Of course, Darrow is right and the center is established. The title comes from the analogy that Darrow uses to describe using extrasensory powers: It’s like riding a winged horse; one can get on its back but it is hard to get off once it is in flight. However, as the center expands and matures they learn more about using the powers and harnessing the winged horse.
As I said, this is not the best example of McCaffrey’s work but it is still very enjoyable. ( )
  gypsysmom | Apr 1, 2018 |
Where the hell is Pegasus? Fled from the mid-century ideas, I assume. "The consensus is that while a man might lift furs and jewels, possibly the dress, only a woman would takes the shoes, too." Page 127

In one paragraph the second-wave protagonist is referred to, by the writer and by several other characters, invariantly as Op Owen, Dr Owen, Dai, Dave, Daffyd, Daffyd Op Owen. I assume the author is just super happy she used a Welsh name. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
1 ( )
  PhotoS | Feb 17, 2014 |
I have read and enjoyed Anne McCaffrey books in the past, and still enjoy rereading some of them. A couple of my favorites take place in the Talents universe, "The Rowan" and "Damia". So I was looking forward to reading "To Ride Pegasus", the prequel to those works.

I am very disappointed in this book. The characters have no depth, and I cannot find anything I like about any of them. After reading almost a third of the book, I am putting it in my cull bag, to exchange it at the used book store for something I will enjoy. ( )
  fuzzi | Oct 12, 2013 |

This book is
respectfully dedicated to
Betty Ballantine,
a woman of many talents
The slick pavement, oily with rain and motor lubricants that had dripped from the hundreds of ill-repaired vehicles utilizing the major north-south artery into Jerhattan, caused the accident.
The short stories in this volume should not be combined with the stories of the same name (and plot) as the following:
Apple c1967 - Crime Prevention in the 20th Century

A Womanly Talent c1969 - Analog

A Bridle for Pegasus c1973, Analog

To Ride Pegasus c1973 appears to have been written for this volume

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,192,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible