The Scot Beds His Wife

by Kerrigan Byrne

The Scot Beds His Wife is the next lush, captivating Victorian romance in the Victorian Rebels series by Kerrigan Byrne. They're rebels, scoundrels, and blackguards--dark, dashing men on the wrong side of the law. But for the women who love them, a hint of danger only makes the heart beat faster. Gavin St. James, Earl of Thorne, is a notorious Highlander and an unrelenting Lothario who uses his slightly menacing charm to get what he wants--including too many women married to other men. But now, Gavin wants to put his shady past behind him...more or less. When a fiery lass who is the heiress to the land he wishes to possess drops into his lap, he sees a perfectly delicious opportunity... A marriage most convenient Samantha Masters has come back to Scotland, in a pair of trousers, and with a whole world of dangerous secrets from her time spent in the Wild West trailing behind her. Her only hope of protection is to marry--and to do so quickly. Gavin is only too willing to provide that service for someone he finds so disturbingly irresistible. But even as danger approaches, what begins as a scandalous proposition slowly turns into an all-consuming passion. And Gavin discovers that he will do whatever is necessary to keep the woman he has claimed as his own...… (more)

***ARC Review Received from St Martins Press & Netgalley***

This was a fun book to read. I love highlanders and brooding highlander who know what they want. Gavin has always wanted Samantha and when she falls into his lap he wants her. This was a fun book that fun to read. The two main characters are enjoyable to read about and their journey was exciting to follow. This author knows how to do historical romance well. ( )
  AndreaWay | Nov 15, 2020 |
What an odd story this was. The hero and heroine hated each other and fought like wild animals while acknowledging that they were lusting after one another. Then they decided suddenly to get married, and then the author chose to skim over two weeks of unexpectedly idyllic married life. Then they both realize they love one another, but the heroine is keeping some intense, deal-breaking secrets, so neither one says a thing. And then, everything unravels, and the author again skims, skips, and barely explains what actually took place and the story is over. The end. Happily ever after.

It's readable, but just barely. When a romance novel takes me more than a day to read . . . it wasn't good. I'd call it an incredible disappointment.

hlkate | Oct 12, 2020 |
I don't know what to call this. (Well this, below, is a terrible review. I know what to call THAT)

I'm not the best reader for consistency. I don't even tend to be a consistent person. So I was surprised to note an inconsistency or three. This might not be a big deal, but at least one was fairly material in the marriage of convenience. I'm honestly wracking my brain for the other one, so maybe that wasn't a huge deal...but I noticed and I thought "wait a minute," and now I'm feeling awful for all you detailed types.

So...there were points that the heroine was definitely not sympathetic. Gavin St James is basically a sweet gooey thing. I loved the characters' banter, not to mention the characters in general in this book The story itself was fun too. In a lot of ways, I guess I had a lot of fun reading this. I'm not sure how well it will stick with me at the end though, and I think that all rests on that mistaken identity part. After Sam's terrible backstory, I still didn't find it a compelling foundation on which to rest her survival tactics and lies simply because it didn't seem part of of her character. Too many times I pitied Gavin, which is not my favorite emotion during reading.

This review is so hard to write. It's one of "those" 3s. Lots to love, some to say WTH, and things that definitely didn't land for me.

Sidenote: I'm not feeling Callum & Allison. I'm curious how that will be handled if it becomes book which is SO borderline yucky to me. (Too bad, Callum seemed really interesting until that 13/22 year old confession bit.)
Eamon &Eleanor on the other hand, I ship that hard.

I apologize for this terrible review. I'll be back with a better one. Someday. Maybe.
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
Kerrigan Byrne has done it again s she continues her amazing series of Victorian Rebels. She manages to take men who have been through hell with an abusive father and live with their own demons and turn them into loving husbands and fathers.
Her women are strong and independent and thi8s heroine Allison/Samantha is no exception. Having grown up on a cattle ranch working alongside the other ranch hands, Sam is more than up to taking over a Scottish estate and raising the cattle that have been left there for years.
Every time Sam and Gavin meet, sparks fly. The reader can't help but feel the tension between the two. You can't help but want things to work out for the two of them. Ms Byrnes' dialog keeps you wanting more.
I received an advanced copy of this book in return for an honest review. ( )
  ddeluna1 | Mar 19, 2020 |
Soooo good!! Full review to come. ( )
  HistoricalJunkie | Sep 17, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,349,973 books! | Top bar: Always visible