When the Bough Breaks by Ane Mulligan

by Ane Mulligan

441,664,912 (5)None
Recently added byjbarr5, Harley0326, grammy57, Becky_L

When the Bough Breaks by Ane Mulligan
Book starts out in NY where the state capitol building is a maze of corridors and offices and Sienna O'Shea is starting her first day at work.
A man directs her to go down a floor to the basement where from there you can reach anywhere. She's to testify and she is prepared. Her assistant Christine will be leaving shortly to deliver her new baby so she's trying to introduce her to many around the area that can help her.
She's to do extensive research so bills can be brought up and debated about and then passed on the congressional floor.
Story also follows Matt-who's a an old friend in GA and he's an investigative reporter who gives her advice and leads to stories to help her career along. They grew up next door neighbors and his sister is Sienna's best friend and he is in love with Sienna.
Story also follows Reese who is the governor's right hand man and the party has plans for him and his future which has been premade for him to just step into. Sienna will play a part in all this also as time goes on and he's in love with Sienna.
Love hearing of all the background hallways and hideaways of the building and find it confusing at times with all the alpha codenames that are sometimes not told what they are. Also some of the names, at times there are a lot of time but it's better understood later on as the story goes along.
Loved hearing of all the finer details that can put me physically in the same location as the scene that is taking place-the smells, condition of furniture, atmosphere, etc.
Know absolutely nothing about getting bills sponsored and passed so this is a huge learning experience for me and I'm hungry for the knowledge.
Prayer and asking God for help when she attempts to find her real biological mother. It's a trying time as the bill her bosses want to pass would seal everything completely in adoptions so she has to do everything by herself and not tell many.
The answer she needs first to find out is if God even wants her to find her mother and others remind her to this when they are asked to help. Her family problems get her to go home often and at times is sad to hear about.
Really like that this book can be read by a man or a woman as it has a bit of romance, lots of action and mystery and everyday events and how prayer can help.
Love the part God plays in all his when things get out of hand. Very believable story of how it all comes together. Never read on a weekend but I could not put this book down this weekend. Can't wait to read more from this author.
I was given the book by the author via Book Fun (The Book Club Network) and this is my honest review ( )
  jbarr5 | Mar 14, 2017 |
Wow! I just finished reading this book and I am so impressed by the intrigue, adventure, and outstanding characters. The author did such an amazing job on giving us a peek at what it's like to work around senators and other high powered officials . Her intricate details were so spot on that I felt like I was there watching government in action. What is really impressive is how the story weaves through different characters and gives us glimpses of how God works. I loved how a few of the characters struggled at times with their faith and how they relied on Him in their weakest moments.

Sienna is a very straight forward young woman hoping to make a difference in the political arena. She has moved from her hometown and is ready to jump in with enthusiasm. Do you remember what it was like when you landed the job you had always dreamed about? For Sienna it seems she has been waiting for just the right opportunity. Will the job compromise her beliefs? Can she do her job and not be tempted by worldly values? There are moments in the story where Sienna really starts to question where God is. Have you ever felt like He isn't listening to you? I loved how vulnerable she felt at times and her willingness to say she is angry with Him. As she gets more involved in her job, the story takes on an intriguing twist that literary had me on the edge of my seat.

The story has everything you look for in a romantic suspense/political thriller including unsavory characters, behind closed doors deals, a scheme for power and an unforgettable high octane race to outsmart the bad guys. I loved everything about this book and didn't want it to end. Throughout the book I loved the relationship Sienna has with her parents. Her father is so down to earth and gives Sienna great guidance as she struggles with her relationship with God. It's funny how we let our pride get in the way sometimes and make bad decisions. Sienna must face some hard choices and trust God to help her through her journey to the truth. I highly recommend this book to those looking for a book that grabs your attention and takes you on an intriguing and emotional ride.

I received a copy of this book from the author and Bookfun.org. The review is my own opinion. ( )
  Harley0326 | Feb 25, 2017 |
I have read When The Bough Breaks by Ane Mulligan. The story is set in a political background, but does not go into political debates. It is more about Sienna O'Shea's new job and the new people she meets and interacts with. The characters were very well developed. You felt like you knew them or had at least met them, the lesser characters. You were drawn into ther lives. The story flowed well and kept my interest. I did not feel bogged down or bored at any point. The only criticism I have is in the editing, and that was mostly punctuation errors but a couple of times there was an extra word in the sentence that didn't actually belong there. I read this on my Kindle, so I can't go back and say exactly where they were, but the one I remember best is the word "she" in the sentence where it was not needed and it temporarily confused me. Other than these two things, the book was very good and well worth the read. I highly recommend this book. This book review is done fully by my own free will. I received this book free from Bookfun.org. ( )
  grammy57 | Feb 23, 2017 |
What an exciting foray into the political fiction world Ane Mulligan has made!! When the Bough Breaks introduces us to Sienna, a brilliant lobbyist in the New York Capitol. When she catches the eye of the next lieutenant governor, Sienna has a chance for fame and fortune. Yet she is plagued by her need to find her birth mother, which conflicts with both her personal and public life.

While I don't much like politics, this was a great book. Engrossing and easy to follow,the story recounts love, lust, faith,family, and political intrigue and danger. I could hardly stand knowing more than the main character, wondering when she would wise up in her faith and relationships.
While a full-length novel, the suspense kept me reading for a solid four or so hours to finish the book in one sitting. Anything less was unthinkable. ( )
  Becky_L | Jan 24, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,195,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible