City Mouse by Stacey Lender

City Mouse

by Stacey Lender

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I appreciate receiving this book as an early reviewer, I read and finished the book and really had a hard time to read the book and leave a favorable review.

I am an older person and to me the book was very superficial and maybe speaks more to a younger person
  utacraft | Jun 29, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
UGH. This is the worst kind of novel. Chick lit that poses as insightful and includes filthy mouthed "cool" moms, aerobics instructors who give their class sex homework, and moms who go away for a weekend and cheat on their husbands. Nope. Bleurgh. Crass, unimaginative, and already been done way too many times.
  nittnut | Jun 25, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had high hopes for this book as a fun summer read. The writer's style is engaging and fun. Which makes it all the more disappointing when this story never makes it out of Real Housewives territory. The themes are age old and well-trodden: city person getting used to the suburbs, making new friends as an adult, navigating motherhood, finding true friends. Unfortunately you can see plot lines coming a mile away with this one. I almost stopped reading but kept going in the hopes that the book at the end would elevate itself out of Real Housewives territory, But alas not. There are better fun frothy summer reads out there. ( )
  InsightsGal | Jun 13, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
City Mouse is a contemporary adult novel -- along the Desperate Housewives genre without the mystery. Jessica is the protagonist, has a high powered job that she loves, but finally is convinced by her husband to move to the suburbs. There she meets an instant group of woman friends and feels like she belongs but quickly she realizes that there is much more to them than meets the eye. I definitely enjoyed this book, the content, and the fast paced nature of it. Jessica is a very likeable character and I saw a lot of myself in her. I could picture this happening to myself if my husband and I weren't lucky to live in a bit of a hybrid of city/suburb. The prose was also well written.

I guess my biggest beef with it was the fact that I'm not sure what I was supposed to necessarily get out of it at the end. I'm not sure what Jessica actually learned and if it was the right lesson after all. I personally don't want to live in the suburbs, but also, I don't think that everyone is like that, and is the lesson really just not to move there in the first place? The author does put down some caveats to cover her bases at the end, but I just felt dissatisfied. The other issue that I had was the synopsis pretty much tells you what three fourths of the book is and the "trip" is almost at the end of the book.

That said, I can't deny that it was an ideal summer book, one that I blazed through from cover to cover, and would definitely recommend to any woman who wants a good poolside book. ( )
  chickey1981 | Jun 11, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was thrilled to win a copy of City Mouse by Stacey Lender. I really enjoyed this fast, fun read. Jessica and her husband have two young children and a very small apartment in the City. Jessica's husband wants to move out to the suburbs which terrifies Jessica but she reluctantly agrees. She cannot believe the types of people who live there and the way they behave, but since she is trying to fit in she tries to turn a blind eye which becomes impossible. I highly recommend this addictive read! ( )
  MelissaBorsey | Jun 6, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Stacey Lender's book City Mouse is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,330,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible