City Mouse by Stacey Lender

City Mouse

by Stacey Lender

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

This was a quick, entertaining read about Jessica and Aaron, who love living in Manhattan with their two young daughters, but think they're ready to move to the suburbs. They transition into suburban life and quickly get sucked into the social life in their neighborhood of young families. But soon they wonder if the tradeoffs are worth it. This is an insightful and sometimes amusing commentary on the American dream and what it means. ( )
  ravensfan | Oct 21, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Completely predictable with a sanctimonious ending, City Mouse is essentially Mean Girls gone Mom.

Jessica and family move to wealthy Suffern from NY City in order to purchase a McMansion for their family. Nearly every peer she meets there is a terrible person, or married to a terrible person and as they inflict their terribleness onto Jessica she finds herself losing who she really is in order to fit in.

It's a quick read and if you don't care about being able to predict nearly everything that happens then you will enjoy this. ( )
  l-mo | Aug 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I went in to this book without any expectations. That being said— this was alright, but no great. I'm usually a fan of chick-lit. I wasn’t blown away by the plot or the writing. Left with an overall feeling of “Meh.”

*Received an ARC in exchange for an honest review ( )
  Serenity_Tigerlily | Aug 6, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Jessica always swore she would never leave NYC to move to the suburbs, but that was before Jessica and her husband, Aaron, had two children and no space in their high priced apartment. After finding a lovely spacious home in a wonderful neighborhood, however, their luck seems too good to be true. Their neighbors have children the same age and all seems too perfect. With a new circle of friends and a high level of expected parental involvement at the preschool, Jessica and Aaron struggle to balance commuting to work in the city and fulfilling their ever growing social obligations. Keeping up with the neighbors, their constant parties, and the social nuances of suburban inclusion leads Jessica and Aaron to wonder if the suburban life is worth it after all.

This novel was a quick read, which reminded me of "Mean Girls" grown up into a bitchy group of suburban moms. Not particularly realistic but probably validating for anyone who has found herself wondering if their cliquey social group is worth all the drama. ( )
  voracious | Jul 16, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Absolutely addicting book! I literally could not stop reading it! I think I read half the book in a day, it was sooooo good! Highly recommend!! ( )
  JessicaGalleske | Jul 9, 2017 |

Priced out of Manhattan, Jessica, Aaron and their daughters move to the one place they swore they would never go: the suburbs. But to her surprise, life in the commuter belt makes a great first impression.--

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Stacey Lender's book City Mouse is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,978,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible