Daring to Drive: A Saudi Woman’s…

Daring to Drive: A Saudi Woman’s Awakening (2017)

by Manal al-Sharif

This book is a very brave account of a life constrained by the laws of one of the richest countries in the world, but one where women have virtually no rights. It is predominantly a memoir sharing the life of an ordinary Saudi woman who is trying to make things better for her fellow women in a country where anybody without a y chromosome is denied the freedoms that western women take for granted.
This is an important book both from a feminist and a world perspective and I think every woman should read it.

For the full review check out my blog: Engrossed in a Good Book ( )
  CharlotteBurt | Nov 24, 2018 |
Manal al-Sharif might not be a name that you know off the top of your head but this books tells us of her life leading up to her arrest for driving a car. Yes. Not for getting into an accident or driving over the speed limit or driving under the influence. But for driving a car and recording that act to be seen on sites like YouTube.

The book recounts her life from her childhood through her arrest or so, relating her upbringing, her family, education and how she eventually came to filming herself driving. I didn't know much about Saudi Arabia so some (not all, I was aware of some of this) of her life and upbringing was definitely eye-opening. The requirement that women be accompanied by a male guardian, the limitations placed on women and how they often find ways around it (plus the possible consequences if they are caught). It was pretty fascinating.

That said, I also felt the writing wasn't that great. She's got a really fascinating story and the book starts off really well with her arrest. But I felt her life story took too long to tell (even though it provides a picture to what he life was like growing up and what she and so many other women have gone through). At times the book really dragged and dragged.

That said, it's still an important book and I learned a lot. I suppose part of it is my own expectations and all since I had been waiting forever for it to show up at the library or be available via paperback. And it was a good reminder (especially after reading this with the Golden Globes and the #MeToo conversation) of how far we need to go and how much work still remains.

Do recommend reading it, but would also recommend library or bargain bin. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
This memoir takes the reader inside life for a woman in Saudi Arabia. In telling her story and what led to her activism, Manal Al-Sharif offers a view of poverty and repressive government that is hard to imagine from the comforts of a democratic country. ( )
  beebeereads | Dec 2, 2017 |
A shame - lots of interesting stuff here, a lot of eye-opening & learning about life in Saudi Arabia & the middle east, the ever-present religious base, etc etc. I learned a ton, but almost quit reading half way thru. Author is totally sold on herself and how important it was for her to write a book, people would be interested in her, etc etc. She also leaves out explanatory material that would be helpful. -- But still. I learned: Religion & purity (for females) all-important. Girls education totally under control of the country's leading religious cleric. His organization ran the schools, developed the curriculum, everything. -- All in all a worthwhile read to understand what the world is facing with radical Islam - ISIS & Al Qaeda. ( )
  JeanetteSkwor | Sep 21, 2017 |
Daring to Drive: A gripping account of one woman's home-grown courage that will speak to the fighter in all of us by Manal Al-Sharif is a book I requested from NetGalley and the book publishers and the review is voluntary.
This book had my emotions everywhere. It is sad, heartbreaking, full of encouragement, hope, made me angry, happy, and many emotions in between. There are a lot of stories about many women in Saudi Arabia, from their early life on. I am a nurse and I had a friend that was a nurse in the ER there for three years and she told me horrendous stories involving the the abuse of the women, mostly from neglect, so this book really caught my eye. On World Music there was a song about this woman too.
Her bravery and her courage is to be commended esp. in a society that treats women with such contempt. A wonderful book. All women should read this! ( )
  MontzaleeW | Aug 19, 2017 |

A memoir by a Saudi Arabian woman who became the unexpected leader of a movement to support women's rights describes how fundamentalism influenced her radical religious beliefs until her education, a job, and legal contradictions changed her perspectives.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,179,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible