The Thirst: A Harry Hole Novel (Harry Hole…

The Thirst: A Harry Hole Novel (Harry Hole Series) (edition 2017)

by Jo Nesbo (Author), Neil Smith (Translator)

Member:terra_incognita
Title:The Thirst: A Harry Hole Novel (Harry Hole Series)
Authors:Jo Nesbo (Author)
Other authors:Neil Smith (Translator)
Info:Knopf (2017), Edition: 1st Edition, 480 pages

The Thirst by Jo Nesbø

English (20)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (28)
Harry Hole returns. No longer a detective but sober and living with the love of his life. Sounds good until his nemesis (Valentin Gjertsen - the vampire) again appears and is killing people. The chase is on with the help of the detectives he knows and a well know physchologist. He finally gets his man. Or does he? Twists and turns. A typical Jo Nesbo with a good ending. ( )
  joannemonck | Sep 3, 2018 |
About a year ago, we tried to listen to this book by try-rigging cables and wires to get a smart-phone to play through a stupid car stereo system. It was a long road trip and we wanted to listen to some Jo Nesbø. I hold this book directly responsible for us buying a new car with Car Play on it and then our subsequent car trip up the east coast, to Canada, and back. The book kept us going on the drive north, but it took 2.5 more books to get us home again. We both love the Harry Hole series, and other books by Nesbø. This did not disappoint. Of note: more references to Nesbø's other world in music. Also, for the first time in our 34 years of marriage, we discussed plot angles and possibilities as the book was winding up. Good stuff. ( )
  bookczuk | Aug 19, 2018 |
As someone who is completely unfamiliar with this series, I felt I was at a disadvantage. There were all of these subplots and character interactions that I didn't feel like I grasped 100%, so my experience fell a bit short. That being said, this is still a very well-written and engaging thriller. I was swept up in the chase from the beginning and could not put this book down. I really liked Harry's character; he is so flawed yet so perfect in his role as a detective. The mystery itself was really well executed and I enjoyed watching it all come together. All of the characters were well developed and I enjoyed finding out how everyone was connected, even if my understanding was superficial compared to that of a fan of the series. This novel has definitely shown me what I am missing, and you can bet that I will be getting myself into this series as soon as I possibly can!

I received this novel as an advanced copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |

A solid thriller with a much loved protagonist, The Thirst did not disappoint.

The murder victims are seeking love on Tinder and their mortal wounds are so unusual they are leaving investigators confused and without any idea where to begin to look for a subject.

Harry Hole is now teaching at the police academy, retired from the force over 3 years ago. He has vowed to those he loves, and to himself, that he’d never work murder cases again - he would never place his family in harm's way again.

But Harry soon comes to realize that something about these murders is familiar to him and if he's correct, the murderer is the one who got away. Harry soon begins a sanctioned secondary investigation, risking everything he is and loves to get another chance to catch his nemesis. ( )
  MelissiaLenox | Jan 13, 2018 |
The latest Harry Hole to be translated into English involves another serial killer for Harry to catch. In this case, it soon becomes apparent that the killer uses Tinder, an online dating service, to choose his victims. And, he chooses a particularly gruesome method of murdering his victims--using "vampire teeth" to ravage their jugular veins so that the victims bleed to death.

A subplot involving police corruption by Mikael Bellman and his sidekick Truls carries through.

By this point you'll know whether you like to read about Harry Hole or not. I still enjoy him, though I do find that in this one Nesbo seems to have endowed him with almost supernatural abilities to power on despite being wounded or suffering circumstances that would have stalled a mortal being.

3 stars ( )
  arubabookwoman | Dec 18, 2017 |
Det starter rolig, nærmest i valsetakt. Men etter hvert skrus tempoet betraktelig opp, og den nye Harry Hole-boken blir en heseblesende leseropplevelse av beste Jo Nesbø-merke.
added by annek49 | editVG, Sindre Hovdenakk (Mar 19, 2017)

Mirava fixament l'espai buit i blanc.
Lei lo aveva preso in giro dicendo che solo gli uomini anziani insistono a portare la lana sia d'estate che d'inverno. Lui le aveva risposto che la migliore strategia di sopravvivenza era imitare “sempre” gli uomini anziani, che nonostante tutto erano i vincitori, i sopravvissuti.

In Police--the last novel featuring Jo Nesbø's hard-bitten, maverick Oslo detective--a killer wreaking revenge on the police had Harry Hole fighting for the safety of the people closest to him. Now, in The Thirst, the story continues as Harry is inextricably drawn back into the Oslo police force. A serial murderer has begun targeting Tinder daters--a murderer whose MO reignites Harry's hunt for a nemesis of his past.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 23 Feb 2017 15:46:04 -0500)

"Harry Hole returns in the eleventh installment of the best-selling, electrifying crime fiction series that includes The Bat, The Snowman, and, most recently, Police. In Police--the last novel featuring Jo Nesb's hard-bitten, maverick Oslo detective--a killer wreaking revenge on the police had Harry Hole fighting for the safety of the people closest to him. Now, in The Thirst, the story continues as Harry is inextricably drawn back into the Oslo police force. A serial murderer has begun targeting Tinder daters--a murderer whose MO reignites Harry's hunt for a nemesis of his past"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,806,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible