The Clockwork Dynasty: A Novel

by Daniel H. Wilson

Fiction. Science Fiction. Suspense. Thriller. HTML:An ingenious new thriller that weaves a path through history, following a race of human-like machines that have been hiding among us for untold centuries, written by the New York Times bestselling author of Robopocalypse.
/>
Present day: When a young anthropologist specializing in ancient technology uncovers a terrible secret concealed in the workings of a three-hundred-year-old mechanical doll, she is thrown into a hidden world that lurks just under the surface of our own. With her career and her life at stake, June Stefanov will ally with a remarkable traveler who exposes her to a reality she never imagined, as they embark on an around-the-world adventure and discover breathtaking secrets of the past…

Russia, 1725: In the depths of the Kremlin, the tsar’s loyal mechanician brings to life two astonishingly humanlike mechanical beings. Peter and Elena are a brother and sister fallen out of time, possessed with uncanny power, and destined to serve great empires. Struggling to blend into pre-Victorian society, they are pulled into a legendary war that has raged for centuries.

The Clockwork Dynasty seamlessly interweaves past and present, exploring a race of beings designed to live by ironclad principles, yet constantly searching for meaning. As June plunges deeper into their world, her choices will ultimately determine their survival or extermination. Richly-imagined and heart-pounding, Daniel H. Wilson’s novel expertly draws on his robotics and science background, combining exquisitely drawn characters with visionary technology—and riveting action.… (more)

Wow! It's exciting to find a book with a new premise and absolutely wonderful when the writing is just as good. I received an ARC of this book, but will definitely add the final/finished version to my Kindle library as well as keep my eye out for an audiobook.

The chapters went back and forth from past to present, with the past POV offering a full explanation and understanding of what was going on 'now' in the book. I found the characters engaging and interesting, but I hope the next book, (please let there be a next one) gets into Elena's head more.

The book ended on a perfect note, the current story was ended, but left room to expand into a trilogy/series. Trust me, this is a totally new take on AI and I recommend it to anyone who likes fantasy. Despite the book being about AI, it read more to me on the fantasy side.

I have no qualms about adding the book to my auto-buy series list and as I said earlier, I REALLY hope we get more. ( )
  jazzbird61 | Feb 29, 2024 |
Despite not being a visual reader, (aphantasia) I thoroughly enjoyed this novel; it delivered on the promise of the marvelous cover which compelled me to check it out. I suspect readers who "see" their books unfold could have a great time envisioning the various...technologies. Evenso, the adventure and mystery are solid regardless, and the origin story behind it all is enticing.

Clearly intended as the beginning of a series, this was published in 2017 and does not appear to have a follow up just yet. No matter - the story stands well on it's own. ( )
  Kim.Sasso | Aug 27, 2023 |
This was so good. Excellent writing and a really unique story/take on AI. Loved it. ( )
  beentsy | Aug 12, 2023 |
I really liked this story. Very fresh feel to it. I am looking forward to more from June in the next book. ( )
  aldimartino | Nov 24, 2020 |
  Andy_DiMartino | Nov 24, 2020 |
In attempting to construct such machines we should not be irrelevantly usurping His power of creating souls....Rather we are....instruments of His will, providing mansions for the souls that He creates. -- Alan Turing, 1950
The age of a thing is in the feel of it.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,475,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible