Winter

by Marissa Meyer

Series: Lunar Chronicles (4)

Princess Winter, admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, teams up with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, to defeat Queen Levana and find their happily ever afters.

English (157)  German (1)  All languages (158)
Princess Winter doesn’t agree with her stepmother’s way of ruling Luna. While Levana is heartless and cruel, Winter is admired for her kindness and is said to be even more beautiful than her stepmother. Levana disapproves of Winter’s feelings for the palace guard Jacin and wants to control the princess, but Winter isn’t as weak as Levana thinks she is. Winter joins forces with Cinder and her friends to start a Lunar revolution to create a world that is safe for both people on earth and the Lunars, but while she is trying to convince the people that they have a chance of success in a revolution, she is also fighting the madness that comes from refusing to use her gift to manipulate people. Together, she and her new friends find a way to defeat Queen Levana and find their happily ever afters.

The series in general has a lot of strengths, from well-rounded multiracial characters, strong platonic friendships, fun fairy tale adaptions, and swoon-worthy romantic moments, and these continue in the last book. The climax is dramatic, bloody, and feels like an appropriate ending for a way. One drawback of the plot is that Levana seems to be dethroned not for her cruelty or terrible leadership but her ugliness, taking away some of the good messages from the earlier books and even from Winter’s character. Winter and Jacin also almost feel like side characters than main characters because of how many other characters are important, but they still are uniquely themselves and have their own voices. Again, there are a few too many convenient things and the fact that everyone in the group ends up in a relationship sometimes seems a little forced. However, it is a delightfully fun read and this is a thrilling, satisfying conclusion to this series of fairy tale retellings. ( )
  vivirielle | Aug 4, 2021 |
I REALLY wanted to give this book four stars, because I truly enjoyed the story. I enjoyed the entire series, actually.
Winter-- the novel, not the character-- however, felt like a more difficult read to me. The book is 800 pages, which in itself is not a problem. It can be a problem though, when page 300 feels like the end of a novel.
This novel did not follow a traditional novel structure, in my opinion. The storyline continued, but in an unconventional structure which began to feel exhaustive and unending around the 300 page mark.
I ended up "taking a break" for about a week before picking back up. I read another hundred and fifty pages before needing another break. The third time I tried I finished.
Again, I'd like to clearly state the the storyline was fluid and enjoyable. But much like walking up a mountain, the constant build of information leading to the climax was exhaustive after such a long time. I wish that the book could have been split in two -- the structure would have made more sense to me, and felt less exhausting as a reader. ( )
  chelsea.carmanmoore | Jul 26, 2021 |
I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler-free way. Unfortunately, there is still always a risk of slight spoilers despite my best efforts. If you feel something in my review is a spoiler please let me know. Thank you.

The ending to this amazing series does not disappoint. So much going on, especially at the very end. This series is one of the best fairytale retellings I've read. Combining fairytales and science fiction doesn't seem like it would mesh well. I imagine it wasn't easy for Meyer but it went so well and I plan to soon start another of her series Renegades.

I think out of all the romantic pairings in this series, Cress and Thorne are my favorite. Oddly enough though I didn't enjoy the third book Cress as much as the others. Their characters really didn't grab me till this book. But all the characters are special and Iko is my favorite. She's a robot who does being human better than most humans.

I'm sad to see it over but it was a ride while it lasted and this is my second time reading the series. I can see myself rereading it again as well years down the road. ( )
  starslight86 | Jul 20, 2021 |
Review for the series:

I loved them!

Four fairy tales — Cinderella, Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, and Snow White — woven into the larger narrative of a tyrant queen of a lunar kingdom trying to take over the nations of Earth and the long-lost princess and her band of allies trying to stop her.

I absolutely love this futuristic sci-fi world and how the fairy tale story elements were twisted around to fit within it. I also appreciate how all of the loose threads were neatly tied up at the end of the series. ( )
  vvbooklady | May 12, 2021 |
There couldn't have been a more perfect ending and Winter couldn't have been any more perfect. Several times in the story I completely related to Scarlet's frustration with Winter, but Jacin would come along and I related to his love for Winter too. It's lovely, everything is just perfect. ( )
  nikkiroy | Apr 14, 2021 |

Marissa Meyerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deas, RichDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O., MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soler, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jesse, who turns every day into a happily ever after.
Winter's toes had become ice cubes.

AR Level 5.9, 33 pts

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,713,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible