Winter by Marissa Meyer

Winter (edition 2015)

by Marissa Meyer (Author)

Member:TLHelen
Title:Winter
Authors:Marissa Meyer (Author)
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2015), 832 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction
Tags:fairy tales, Fantasy - Fiction, lunar chronicles, romance, Young adult - fiction, science fiction

Winter by Marissa Meyer (Author)

English (122)  German (1)  All languages (123)
Hallelujah that’s over! Gah!! I’m being generous with the three stars. It only gets three, because HEA was good.

Never mind, I’m changing it to two. An HEA isn’t worth suffering through 833 pages of long winded back and forth and...psych! That’s not it, it’s not over, check the bottom right of your screen, you’re not even at 50% yet! You’ve got dozens of these moments to come. After LONG slogs through blah blah blah.

I loved the first three books of the series. This was WAY too long for what it was, with plot holes and loads of stupid stuff. I hated most of it. The bits I didn’t got it two stars. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
It dragged a bit at times, but served well as a wrap-up of the adventures of the fractured fairy tales in space opera. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
An Amazing Finale!! I absolutely loved Winter. I loved the series!
I'm gonna miss them all so much.
I loved the couples
I love the friendships
I loved Thorne
Thorne, oh Thorne
“A kiss from the Captain would probably melt my central processor.”
Thorne winked at her. “Oh trust me. It would.”

“Did you see any rice in there? Maybe we could fill Cinder's head with it."

Everyone stared at him.

"You know, to...absorb the moisture, or something. Isn't that a thing?"

"We're not putting rice in my head.”

“Scarlet and I are going to start a missing-fingers club. We might let Cinder be an honorary member.”

At first I thought Winter was scary and nutty as fruitcake but I learned to love her cute little remarks

“Winter reached over and pulled the pilot’s harness over Scarlet’s head. “Safety first, Scarlet-friend. We are fragile things.”

I loved Wolf and Scarlet and their relationship. I didn't like them in [b:Scarlet|13206760|Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2)|Marissa Meyer|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1470056982s/13206760.jpg|18390691] but in Winter...the scene where Wolf crabs Winter who's wearing Scarlet's hoodie and then they're reunited....ahhh THE FEELS!!! Scarlet was such a badass and a total hero.
“You're the only one Ze'ev Kelsey. You'll always be the only one.”

But Cress and Thorne and their relationship was probably my favourite. They were so cuteee!

I loved Kai and Cinder!!!
“In fact,” Cinder continued, “my understanding is that, under Kai—Emperor Kai—Kaito?” She raised her eyebrows at him, realizing this was the first time she’d ever been expected to be formal in his presence.

In response, Kai looked like he wanted to laugh. She glared at him.”

Iko. She was such a fangirl, I loved her.
The Lunars' reactions to Iko were also so hilarious.
“He gave Cress a quick farewell embrace, then pulled Iko into a hug. Iko squeaked, frozen. When Kai pulled away, Iko looked from him,to Cinder, then back. Her eyes suddenly rolled up into her head and she collapsed onto the floor.”
  gwengaudet | May 24, 2019 |
An Amazing Finale!! I absolutely loved Winter. I loved the series!
I'm gonna miss them all so much.
I loved the couples
I love the friendships
I loved Thorne
Thorne, oh Thorne
“A kiss from the Captain would probably melt my central processor.”
Thorne winked at her. “Oh trust me. It would.”

“Did you see any rice in there? Maybe we could fill Cinder's head with it."

Everyone stared at him.

"You know, to...absorb the moisture, or something. Isn't that a thing?"

"We're not putting rice in my head.”

“You're the only one Ze'ev Kelsey. You'll always be the only one.”

I loved Kai and Cinder!!!

In response, Kai looked like he wanted to laugh. She glared at him.”

Iko. She was such a fangirl, I loved her.
The Lunars' reactions to Iko were also so hilarious.
  gwengaudet | May 24, 2019 |
Winter is crazy. Even she knows it. But it's a disability she's willing to suffer through as long as she doesn't use her Lunar gift. Yet even without her ability to change the perception of those around her, she's still easily the most beautiful girl anyone on Luna has ever seen--rivaling even her mother, the queen. Levana fears that her subjects will one day revolt, placing Winter on the throne despite her not being royal blood. But Levana's even greater fear is this: that the lost princess and rightful heir to the throne will return.

The concluding book of the Lunar Chronicles is over 800 pages long, but it's packed full of plot and character development. Meyer does a good job at writing a story from a "crazy girl's" perspective, making the words and internal monologue effortless to read, and yet still project the character clearly as unstable. This is a twist on Snow White, and uses specific parts of the classic fairytale as clever easter eggs hidden throughout the novel. The apple, the dwarves, the glass coffin, even the mirror, all make an appearance in some shape or form, even if some are hidden for only those who care to seek those kinds of things out.

Meyer does a good job at vamping up the energy for a breathtaking climax, and nowhere in the book do I feel like the story dragged. The dialogue was easy, realistic, and witty, the characters believable and sympathetic, and all around a great story.

One critique that I do have, though, are the personalities of the men. Throughout the series, each "fairytale princess" has a man partner who is her "prince" although only one of them is actually royal blood. While these characters are fantastic 90% of the time, each with their own personalities, flaws, and passions, I did notice that these great characters tended to dissolve when their princess was in trouble. Wolf was rendered nearly helpless during this book, spending more time moping around and worrying about Scarlet than actually participating in the acton. Thorne was the same. While normally he's a Han Solo kind of scoundrel with a swagger that's part of his daily walk, the moment Cress is in any kind of danger, he shrivels up and becomes useless until he's in a position to help her. Jacin is also guilty of this, his only motivation to help the crew is Winter, and he's willing to jeopardize everything just because he's stubborn and won't leave her side. I found this frustrating because it often seemed out of character for them and it made me want to tell them to "quit whining and do something about it."

Overall, the book was incredible, though, and I'm sad that the series is finished (although there's a collection of short stories and two graphic novels I have yet to read).

Things to Watch Out For:

Sex: multiple characters kiss; a joke about not having time to consummate pg 770
Language: D-2 pg 245, 779; H-? pg 249, 255, 394, 481, 554, 611, 739, ; "bite me"-1 pg 369
Violence: some graphic violence of war. Characters are killed, shot, and stabbed in mildly graphic narrative. An android who looks human is mutilated several times.
Drugs: N/A
Nudity: N/A ( )
  Jenneth | Jan 8, 2019 |

Meyer, MarissaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O., MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soler, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jesse, who turns every day into a happily ever after.
Winter's toes had become ice cubes.

AR Level 5.9, 33 pts

Princess Winter, admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, teams up with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, to defeat Queen Levana and find their happily ever afters.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,551,762 books! | Top bar: Always visible