Arrr! Pirate Flag(Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day) Thar be a hunt for treasure, Mateys!
dismiss

Winter by Marissa Meyer

Winter (edition 2015)

by Marissa Meyer (Author)

Member:seriesousbooks
Title:Winter
Authors:Marissa Meyer (Author)
Info:Feiwel & Friends (2015), 832 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:high-anticipation, fav-couples, met-expectations

Winter by Marissa Meyer (Author)

English (125)  German (1)  All languages (126)
Satisfying ending to a thoroughly fun quartet! (Not counting [b:Fairest: Levana’s Story|22499754|Fairest Levana’s Story (The Lunar Chronicles, #3.5)|Marissa Meyer|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1403129944s/22499754.jpg|41928590], the backstory novel I skipped.) When I read in the acknowledgements that Meyer was originally a fanfic author, I was not surprised. This series has all the qualities of the best fanfic. Breathlessly page-turning adventure, check. Implausibly adoring soulmate pairings that still allow you to respect all the characters, check. Reworking beloved properties (in this case, Grimm fairy tales) in a way that shines new light on them and makes them entirely your own, check.

Already a fan, I bought this series for my new library right away, and it's been my biggest success. I can think of 10 girls off the top of my head who are buried somewhere in it or already finished. (At least one is waiting for me to return Winter on Monday!) Is Meyer a literary prose genius? Nope. (I always hand the Cinder fans [b:Daughter of Smoke & Bone|8490112|Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)|Laini Taylor|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1338613368s/8490112.jpg|13355552] for that.) Will a steady diet of this kind of swoony romance mess you up when you start having real relationships? Yeah, probably. ([b:Graceling|3236307|Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1)|Kristin Cashore|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1331548394s/3236307.jpg|3270810]'s love stories are more mature, in the sense of complex and real.) But Lunar Chronicles is fun as hell, and deserves sharing its place in my kids' hearts with those trilogies.

Plus it's several thousand pages long, total, so that's a couple of weeks you don't have to come up with a new book for That Kid. You know the one I mean. ( )
  SamMusher | Sep 7, 2019 |
I hadn't realized that this was the conclusion of this series, but it was a satisfying ending. The relationships between the characters is (as always) the highlight here. You have to just accept the political and military part, both of which are a bit simplistic. This series was a great deal of fun and I'm glad I gave it a chance. ( )
  duchessjlh | Sep 4, 2019 |
Listened to audio narrated by Rebecca Soler. Hints of Snow White, Winter is Levana's step daughter, who loves a guard she grew up with. Levana's crazy continues, Linh and crew plan to rescue Cress and over throw Levana. Lots of things reminding me of Hunger Games. Very see-sawing with the group getting ahead, then losing ground, it was tiring and before the halfway point I was over it and just wanted the story finished.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Hallelujah that’s over! Gah!! I’m being generous with the three stars. It only gets three, because HEA was good.

Never mind, I’m changing it to two. An HEA isn’t worth suffering through 833 pages of long winded back and forth and...psych! That’s not it, it’s not over, check the bottom right of your screen, you’re not even at 50% yet! You’ve got dozens of these moments to come. After LONG slogs through blah blah blah.

I loved the first three books of the series. This was WAY too long for what it was, with plot holes and loads of stupid stuff. I hated most of it. The bits I didn’t got it two stars. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
It dragged a bit at times, but served well as a wrap-up of the adventures of the fractured fairy tales in space opera. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |

Meyer, MarissaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Deas, RichDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O., MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soler, RebeccaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jesse, who turns every day into a happily ever after.
Winter's toes had become ice cubes.

AR Level 5.9, 33 pts

Princess Winter, admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, teams up with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, to defeat Queen Levana and find their happily ever afters.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,097,466 books! | Top bar: Always visible