Lost Rider (The Coming Home Series) by…

Lost Rider (The Coming Home Series)

by Harper Sloan

If you are a sucker for second chance romance, Lost Rider needs to be at the top of your TBR. Their story is one for the ages! See full review on The Book Disciple ( )
  thebookdisciple | Oct 9, 2018 |
I LOVE me some Harper Sloan!! I was so excited I finally got around to reading this book! *sigh* I wanna marry Maverick...seriously. I know Harper said this was a BIG step out of her comfort zone, and I am here to say she nailed it. I love this story of two people that should have been together for years, and were not due to stubborness. The characters were so alive, and well developed and the story...I am a sucker for cowboys, was just wonderful. So do yourself a favor and read this. This story is told in alternating views. ( )
  KGarner | Aug 4, 2018 |
5 REASONS YOU MIGHT WANT TO READ THIS BOOK!

1. YOU LOVE CONTEMPORARY WESTERN ROMANCES

This book is what I think of as a quintessential western romance. You've got the small town, supportive mother-like figure, the best friend, and the gossipy townsfolk. There are so many darlin's, honeys, and talks of going for a ride (*wink wink*) you'll be transported to the south faster than you can say "Well butter my biscuits!"

2. DAMAGED ALPHA HEROES WHO ALSO HAPPEN TO BE COWBOYS AND RODEO STARS ARE YOUR BREAD AND BUTTER

Maverick Davis is the definition of a damaged alpha hero, in my opinion. He is quite frankly an asshole at the beginning of the book. (I prefer my heroes more beta than alpha, but that's a discussion for another day). He doesn't make the best decisions, and let's his tongue loose before even thinking that his words might do damage to someone else. Thankfully, the Maverick at the end of the story is much more healed, and much less of an asshole.

3. SECOND CHANCE ROMANCE WITH A DASH OF UNREQUITED LOVE

Personally, I love second chance romances. Things don't always work out the way you want the first time, but in this story our Hero and Heroine get a second chance to make it right. The unrequited love aspect added a heartbreaking twist that keeps the reader on their toes.

4. EMOTIONAL JOURNEYS AND SELF-DISCOVERY EQUIVALENT TO A ROLLERCOASTER RIDE

The journey each of our protagonists take throughout this book is one helluva ride. You learn about each of them at the same time that they are learning about themselves. Their personal growth throughout this book is quite astounding. There are lots of inner-monologues for both the Hero and Heroine, so if you like getting a first hand look into the psyche of the main characters, you'll love this.

5. LOVE SCENES SO STEAMY YOU THINK THE PAGES MIGHT INCINERATE

Now, this is kind of subjective depending on what type of romances you're used to reading. For me, I considered the love scenes in this book to be super steamy with the door left wide open. Personally, I could have done with less steam and probably been happier. But everyone likes something different when it comes to their books - and that is what makes reading so great! There is a book out there for everyone. So, if you like your love scenes steaming off the page, then I don't think you'll be disappointed here.

I received an ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
This review was originally published on Books For The Living.
  BooksForTheLiving | Apr 17, 2018 |
4 "Coming Home" Stars for the story and narration.

Can you ever truly leave your first love behind? Lovers of small-town, cowboy romances will feel the draw of Lost Rider. With a classic backdrop this younger sister's best friend and her bull-riding hero who she pined for as young teenager has a coming home feel to it. Even with a ten-year absence, can this couple who once longed for each other but for who the timing wasn't right get there 2nd chance? Moreover, the adept narration by narrating duo of Elizabeth Louise and Jason Carpenter make this a smooth listen for audiobook lovers.

Maverick Austin Davis never felt the love of a father. Always treated harshly as compared to his older brother and younger sister, Maverick is determined to leave his small Texas hometown to chase his dreams of being bull-riding royalty. Even the sweet, and several years younger, Leighton Elizabeth James can't change his motivation--though she does tempt him. Knowing that she was capable of following him, Maverick leaves in a fashion that he knows will leave her no choice and determines to never look back.

10 years later and one concussion too many, Maverick heads back home after a successful bull-riding career. His father has passed on, leaving room for him to come home and mend fences with the others that featured prominently in his early years, including his siblings and most importantly Leighton.

But Maverick storms home in one hell of a misunderstanding as he mistakes Leighton for his older brother's girlfriend--and accuses her of only seeking his money (now that his father has left him their property). Can there possibly be a 2nd chance at romance with such a terrible beginning at a second try? Moreover, did Leighton wait for him all these years?

The narration is performed in the typical dual narration style, with Jason Carpenter performing the chapters from Maverick's perspective and Ms. Louise performing the ones from Leighton's POV. This style works well to differentiate the viewpoint shared and I had no trouble getting into the story.

My favorite part of the narration was Leighton's parts. I've always enjoyed Elizabeth Louise's narration style. She has a pleasant voice that naturally endears the heroine to the listener. She also does a good job of differentiating the female characters from the male ones and even produces natural sounding males (a feat which sometimes is difficult for female narrators).

I also was able to follow Mr. Carpenter's narration with no trouble--though I must admit that his female characters sounded less genuine. Additionally, I felt his narration was a bit flat and I would have liked to feel the same emotion that I got from Ms. Louise's rendition. All that said, it could just be that most of his parts were Maverick's--and as a cowboy, you would expect him to be a man of even keeled emotion. So perhaps Mr. Carpenter was just being true to his role.

All in all, if you're looking for a comfort listen, Lost Rider may just do the trick. However, I would be remiss if I didn't note that I definitely felt like I would have liked a little more intrigue. For example, it's hard to believe that after a decade with no contact, Leighton never truly moved on. In fact, we get a sense that there was a natural hook for where her attentions may have strayed because its alluded to, but the storyline never really explores this angle beyond just dropping a hint a two. Other than that, there is one minor, though not totally unexpected twist. Nonetheless if you're looking for a sweet second chance at love styled romance, then Lost Rider may just be the fix you're looking for.

Source: Review copy provided for review purposes. ( )
  B.J.O. | Jun 10, 2017 |
Lost Rider by Harper Sloan is book number one in the The Coming Home series.
This is Maverick "Mav" Austin Davis and Leighton "Leigh" Elizabeth James' story.

Wow! Loved it! This book covers so many emotions from anger, sadness, humor, and twists to intense chemistry. The author did a great job of where the reader could feel the characters emotions. It pulls you in and everything around you just disappears.

I absolutely fell in love in Mav and Leigh and loved their story. Love stories in Texas and with cowboys. I also love hearing a cowboy say darlin'. I look forward to reading the next books in this series. This is a must read!

FYI, contains mature content. I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book. ( )
  booksnuggle | May 14, 2017 |

Maverick Austin Davis is forced to return home after a ten-year career as a rodeo star. After one too many head injuries, he's off the circuit and in the horse farming business, something he's never taken much of a shine to, but now that it's his late father's legacy, familial duty calls. How will Maverick find his way after the only dream he ever had for himself is over? Enter Leighton Elizabeth James, an ugly duckling turned beauty from Maverick's childhood, and someone whose heart he stomped all over when she confessed her crush to him ten years back. Now Leighton is back in Maverick's life, no longer the insecure, love-stricken teen. And Maverick can't help but take notice.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,838,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible