Lost Rider (The Coming Home Series) by…

Lost Rider (The Coming Home Series)

by Harper Sloan

4 "Coming Home" Stars for the story and narration.

Can you ever truly leave your first love behind? Lovers of small-town, cowboy romances will feel the draw of Lost Rider. With a classic backdrop this younger sister's best friend and her bull-riding hero who she pined for as young teenager has a coming home feel to it. Even with a ten-year absence, can this couple who once longed for each other but for who the timing wasn't right get there 2nd chance? Moreover, the adept narration by narrating duo of Elizabeth Louise and Jason Carpenter make this a smooth listen for audiobook lovers.

Maverick Austin Davis never felt the love of a father. Always treated harshly as compared to his older brother and younger sister, Maverick is determined to leave his small Texas hometown to chase his dreams of being bull-riding royalty. Even the sweet, and several years younger, Leighton Elizabeth James can't change his motivation--though she does tempt him. Knowing that she was capable of following him, Maverick leaves in a fashion that he knows will leave her no choice and determines to never look back.

10 years later and one concussion too many, Maverick heads back home after a successful bull-riding career. His father has passed on, leaving room for him to come home and mend fences with the others that featured prominently in his early years, including his siblings and most importantly Leighton.

But Maverick storms home in one hell of a misunderstanding as he mistakes Leighton for his older brother's girlfriend--and accuses her of only seeking his money (now that his father has left him their property). Can there possibly be a 2nd chance at romance with such a terrible beginning at a second try? Moreover, did Leighton wait for him all these years?

The narration is performed in the typical dual narration style, with Jason Carpenter performing the chapters from Maverick's perspective and Ms. Louise performing the ones from Leighton's POV. This style works well to differentiate the viewpoint shared and I had no trouble getting into the story.

My favorite part of the narration was Leighton's parts. I've always enjoyed Elizabeth Louise's narration style. She has a pleasant voice that naturally endears the heroine to the listener. She also does a good job of differentiating the female characters from the male ones and even produces natural sounding males (a feat which sometimes is difficult for female narrators).

I also was able to follow Mr. Carpenter's narration with no trouble--though I must admit that his female characters sounded less genuine. Additionally, I felt his narration was a bit flat and I would have liked to feel the same emotion that I got from Ms. Louise's rendition. All that said, it could just be that most of his parts were Maverick's--and as a cowboy, you would expect him to be a man of even keeled emotion. So perhaps Mr. Carpenter was just being true to his role.

All in all, if you're looking for a comfort listen, Lost Rider may just do the trick. However, I would be remiss if I didn't note that I definitely felt like I would have liked a little more intrigue. For example, it's hard to believe that after a decade with no contact, Leighton never truly moved on. In fact, we get a sense that there was a natural hook for where her attentions may have strayed because its alluded to, but the storyline never really explores this angle beyond just dropping a hint a two. Other than that, there is one minor, though not totally unexpected twist. Nonetheless if you're looking for a sweet second chance at love styled romance, then Lost Rider may just be the fix you're looking for.

Source: Review copy provided for review purposes. ( )
  B.J.O. | Jun 10, 2017 |
Lost Rider by Harper Sloan is book number one in the The Coming Home series.
This is Maverick "Mav" Austin Davis and Leighton "Leigh" Elizabeth James' story.

Wow! Loved it! This book covers so many emotions from anger, sadness, humor, and twists to intense chemistry. The author did a great job of where the reader could feel the characters emotions. It pulls you in and everything around you just disappears.

I absolutely fell in love in Mav and Leigh and loved their story. Love stories in Texas and with cowboys. I also love hearing a cowboy say darlin'. I look forward to reading the next books in this series. This is a must read!

FYI, contains mature content. I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy of this book. ( )
  booksnuggle | May 14, 2017 |
4 swoon-tastic stars
Hot hunky damaged man, with rippled abs cowboy, who dumps his life breaks a few hearts and searches for redemption in the heart of his childhood friend, that he nearly destroyed. Their bond to each other is strong but the damage is deep and dense with scar tissue that may not ever be softened. There is hot cowboy riding, smoking hot kisses, and swoon worthy moments galore is this first book in a series I am looking forward to continuing.
The female main character. Leighton, owns and operates a bakery called The Pie Hole. She makes delicious pies for work and fun. Who wouldn't love her and want her every happiness ? She is the girl you want you want at your back, trust worthy loyal and steadfast. She loves pure and hard, but her trust is not so easy to earn back once it's been shredded and broken. I just loved her.
Maverick, this boy can pull his inner jerk out. He may be a uber hot cowboy but he acted like a massive donkey. He had good reason, he just never told anybody about the reasons. He preferred to carry that chip on his shoulder and darken his life even more. He was down and digging a deeper hole. Till life kicked him one time too many and he was forced to return to his center and realign everything in his life.
Very enjoyable read. I liked the characters, felt for them, could relate to them, would like any of them as friends, that is a winner. ( )
  TheYodamom | Apr 9, 2017 |
Maverick has blown back into town after head injuries put a halt to his rodeo career. He is unhappy and has a lot of ghosts to deal with. He arrives the day of his father’s funeral and creates havoc with his family and Leigh, his sister’s best friend.

Maverick and Leigh have a past. A past all the way back to high school. When I started this novel I hated Maverick. He was rude, hateful and completely disrespectful. But as his story unfolded, I fell utterly in love with him. He and Leigh make a super couple….once they get past their horrible start. And believe me….it was horrible. Took a lot of “telling the truth” to convince Leigh to give Maverick a chance.

There were places where the conversations were a little stilted. But Leigh and Maverick make up for it with the steamy, hot bedroom scenes! 😍💋🔥. I enjoyed reading about this couples return to each other and second chances. Maverick’s tale is not to be missed! This is book one in the series. Wonder who the next book will be about?!?! Hmmmmmm!! Cannot wait!

I love discovering new authors. Now to add more books to the infinite TBR LIST!

I received this novel from Simon and Schuster as part of the XOXPERTS. ( )
  fredreeca | Feb 24, 2017 |

Maverick Austin Davis is forced to return home after a ten-year career as a rodeo star. After one too many head injuries, hes off the circuit and in the horse farming business, something he's never taken much of a shine to, but now that its his late father's legacy, familial duty calls. How will Maverick find his way after the only dream he ever had for himself is over? Enter Leighton Elizabeth James, an ugly duckling turned beauty from Mavericks childhood, his younger sisters best friend, to be exact, and someone whose heart he stomped all over when she confessed her crush to him ten years back. Now Leighton is back in Maverick's life, no longer the insecure, love-stricken teen and Maverick can't help but take notice. Sparks fly between them, but will Leighton be able to open her heart to the one man who broke it all those years ago?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,738,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible