Refugee by Alan Gratz

Authors:Alan Gratz (Author)
Info:Scholastic Press (2017), 352 pages
Rating:*****

Refugee by Alan Gratz

I loved the way the three refugee stories of different time periods all come together and connect in the end. They are stories of heartbreak and triumph, and the audio naration of Michael Goldstrom (Joseff 1938-39), Kyla Garcia (Isabel 1994), and Mahmoud (Assaf Cohen) held me memerized. ( )
  PaperDollLady | Oct 16, 2018 |
The stories of 3 different refugees in different time periods are interconnected. The ending of one was a real punch in the stomach, and totally surprised me. This was fantastic, but may be difficult for sensitive readers. ( )
  dcoward | Sep 10, 2018 |
Wow! I usually hate books with alternating view points and stories but these the stories of different times paralleled each other so well that I was engaged in seeing the similarities and was immediately caught up in each character's story, despite all the cliffhangers and jumping back and forth. Got it from the library but I will be buying this to add to my personal library. I love that the author gave some specific suggestions for helping refugees and is donating money from the sale of the book to the UNICEF and Save theChildren. ( )
  wrightja2000 | Sep 6, 2018 |
Excellent historical fiction, especially for 11-13 year old readers. I feel that a good children’s book should be enjoyed just as much by an adult reader, and I found this book to be a page turner! The history of three different refugee families is told from a child’s perspective, but the facts are not watered down. 1939 German Jews, 1995 Cubans, and 2015 Syrians are all seeking asylum, and the world is as unwelcoming (politically) as today.

Read this book, then pass it on to your favorite young teen! ( )
  ioplibrarian | Aug 26, 2018 |
This should be a must read for all history classes. The way it weaves 3 Refugee stories countries, and timelines through generations is BRILLIANT. ( )
  ksmedberg | Aug 15, 2018 |
CRACK! BANG!

JOSEF is a Jewish boy living in 1930s Nazi Germany. With the threat of concentration camps looming, he and his family board a ship bound for the other side of the world . . .

ISABEL is a Cuban girl in 1994. With riots and unrest plaguing her country, she and her family set out on a raft, hoping to find safety in America . . .

MAHMOUD is a Syrian boy in 2015. With his homeland torn apart by violence and destruction, he and his family begin a long trek toward Europe . . .

All three kids go on harrowing journeys in search of refuge. All will face unimaginable dangers -- from drownings to bombings to betrayals. But there is always the hope of tomorrow. And although Josef, Isabel, and Mahmoud are separated by continents and decades, shocking connections will tie their stories together in the end.

This action-packed novel tackles topics both timely and timeless: courage, survival, and the quest for home.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 24 Feb 2017 16:44:07 -0500)

Although separated by continents and decades, Josef, a Jewish boy livng in 1930s Nazi Germany; Isabel, a Cuban girl trying to escape the riots and unrest plaguing her country in 1994; and Mahmoud, a Syrian boy in 2015 whose homeland is torn apart by violence and destruction, embark on harrowing journeys in search of refuge, discovering shocking connections that tie their stories together.… (more)

Alan M. Gratz is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,238,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible