The Rat Catchers' Olympics (A Dr. Siri…

The Rat Catchers' Olympics (A Dr. Siri Paiboun Mystery) (edition 2017)

by Colin Cotterill (Author)

202515,329 (4.5)7
Member:bfister
Title:The Rat Catchers' Olympics (A Dr. Siri Paiboun Mystery)
Authors:Colin Cotterill (Author)
Info:Soho Crime (2017), 288 pages

The Rat Catchers' Olympics (A Dr. Siri Paiboun Mystery) by Colin Cotterill

USSR, situational-humor, verbal-humor, suspense, supernatural, olympic-games, snark-fest, mystery, Laos

This one exceeded the pre-publication hype! I did a fast book-a-day binge reread of the series to make certain that I didn't miss anything, but it wasn't necessary (but it was fun). Lots of laughs and snickers, mystery and suspense, wacky characters, red herrings, ghosts, and there are murders and intrigue both in Moscow and Laos. The Lao are thrilled to be flown to and housed in Moscow, even knowing that they have little hope of winning, but everyone around them cheers them on and gets caught up in their enthusiasm. I loved it!
Clive Chafer continues to keep me from going crazier trying to pronounce unfamiliar names and words while adding to the personalities of the characters. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Aug 16, 2017 |
Colin Cotterill's book titles always catch the eye and the imagination, and The Rat Catchers' Olympics is no exception. Many times there are double meanings to these titles as there is here, with both two- and four-legged rats that need to be caught. No matter where you live, elderly Dr. Siri and his wife Madame Daeng are good people who know how to get so much enjoyment out of life even though they have very little in the way of material goods. Take for example Siri's skill in wrangling free vacations to interesting places. No one's better at it, and readers are always guaranteed an adventure when he reaches his destination.

I love Cotterill's gentle sense of humor that can be turned toward anyone or anything, and his cast of characters is one of the best in crime fiction. Everyone has a role in solving this excellent mystery. Between many of the characters' advanced ages and the paranoia of the Communist governments involved, these characters may not move quite like a well-oiled machine, but they get the job done, they get it done right, and they do it with a smile. You can't ask for better. I have said that the mystery is excellent, and it is. My radar must have been in fine working order when I read this because I did figure out whodunit, but Cotterill is so wily that he kept me worried. Was I right, or did I fall for a red herring? I like that.

The sense of place is marvelous in The Rat Catchers' Olympics; I really did feel as though I was walking through the Olympic Village and attending events along with the cast of characters. The best part about it is that the Laotian athletes-- many of whom are young people from tiny villages who've never worn running shoes-- remind readers of what the Olympics are really all about.

This is a book to be enjoyed from first page to last. If you haven't experienced a Dr. Siri mystery before, I hope you'll give one a try. This series is really something special. ( )
  cathyskye | Aug 14, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,838,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible